HD2900XT Crossfire disable

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by gbak, Jul 2, 2007.

1. gbak

gbak Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD3870X2 1GB
    I tried to connect my 2 2900xt with 2 crossfire bridges and i cant enable it...the catalyst are the latest 7.6...but also i tried and the previous from the cd...
    when i tick the box for crossfire the system restarts and the problem still remain...i very confused because i had these red monsters and they cant play together...
    when i run 3dmark 2005 the score is 16500 and for 06 10500...so i believe that only one card running...because the scores for crossfire are higher!
    also i installed ati tray tools..with the same results!
    please give a help... thanx!

2. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    Here's something I've found out about the mobo you have -
    There are two PCI Express 16x slots (though the second only works at 4x).

This may be the issue, I dunno if CF can be enabled at 4x, I know my mobo defaults to 8x + 8x in CF mode.

3. gbak

gbak Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD3870X2 1GB
    at the specs of mobo it says crossfire compatible....also there are many reviews testing this combo p5k dlx+2900 cf....
    take a look at this review by Anandtech http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2990&p=2

i think the problem is the software(catalyst) i tried all the drivers but no crossfire enabled...except if one crossfire bridge has been damaged...i dont know very strange situation...
    also i swapped the cards and they didnt have problems...

4. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4090
    It can be enabled. The p35 chipset (which the P5k is based on) is just like the P965 in that ATI have enable xfire on it despite the fact there is 1x16x and 1x 4x slot. However, im not sure if this impacts performance vs. 2x 16x slots.

5. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    gbak : try this, uninstall 7.6, install drivers from CD then install hotfix ones
    http://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&questionID=28188
    Then run single/multitexturing test or pixel shader test in 3d mark 06 .. you should see on multitexturing 22500+ or in pixel shader 600+fps that way you quickly find that Crossfire working. If Crossfire dont work still, install ati tray tools, enable crossfire there and tick apply at start too, apply, it will maybe untick, but thats not problem, make a restart of PC and try again tests. Just dont try to untick crossfire in CCC, you can screw it up and it will not stick again.

6. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    Follow Spajdric, you need the hofix for make it work

7. gbak

gbak Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD3870X2 1GB
    Spajdric i had already try this hotfix but with the 7.6 catalyst...i will try again with the way that you said....thanx guys!!
    a dude gave me another pair of crossfire bridges just to check if the problem is the bridges or the software...
    but i cant understand why all this trouble for a simple crossfire....:paranoid:

8. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    Yeh me too, and since i get again flickering when enablind crossfire, second card will go, i dont have nerves for this anymore.

9. gbak

gbak Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD3870X2 1GB
    so dudes i did everything that spajdrik says...and the crossfire seems to be enable from the catalyst and from ati tray tools...but the scores remains for single card operation(10560)....i cant understand what happens...i dont know either if the cf is enable or its virtual...very very bad software from ati...
    i spent 2000euros and 1 week to build and stabilized this system and i dont have that i want....and at this price if i was not ati fan boy i got an nvidia ultra as alternative way...and maybe i didnt have all this trouble...
    well if you have any other way to solve this problem please post it...

[​IMG]

10. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    try to disable and enable .. maybe it will stick, its very random :(
    for now im using just drivers + ATT for enabling CF and it works, what i did was install driver, without CCC from CD, then install latest hotfix again without CCC and it works, i cant choose some better AA, but i can live with it for now.
    Try to report it to ATI too, send them ticket.

11. gbak

gbak Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD3870X2 1GB
    so something else that i observe is when i disable the crossfire the Anti-Aliasing at 3d settings drops to 8x....and when i enable it increase to 16x...
    maybe i decide to use only one control panel catalyst or ati tray tools....
    and please someone give me score at 3dmark05 and 06 at default clocks...
    thanx spajdrik!! it seems that crossfire working but its not so fast that i expect..
    and yes i have already sent a ticket to ati..