help with bsod

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by noiradle, Jun 21, 2007.

1. noiradle

noiradle Member

GPU:
    xfx gtx 260/216 black ed.
    sorry if this isn't in the right forum, i don't know where else to put it.

using 160.03 drivers on xp professional (n version), i run into a blue screen that forces my computer to shutdown when hitting "test directx3d" in "dxdiag". i'm wondering if my graphics card has a problem or if it's the drivers? after rebooting, microsoft took me to a website saying it was a problem with the device or the drivers, so it didn't specify really. has anyone had a similar problem or know what may of caused this? also, what is the latest _stable_ release for my video card? i noticed a ton of versions so i just got the latest one (160.03).

i have a brand new 8800gts and my directx version is 9.0c.

thx a lot :beam:

2. Sieras

Sieras Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 4GB
    Hello,
    First of all welcome to the forums! Now, it would be great, if you'd give us the info, which the BSOD is trying to show you. To see the BSOD without getting an automatic restart, do this:
    1. Go to Start -> Control Panel -> System
    2. Go to Advanced
    3. Under the Startup and Recovery section, click Settings...
    4. Under System Failure un-check "Automatically restart"
    Now, when you'll get a BSOD, write down any error codes or some other info, which might be useful here :)

3. noiradle

noiradle Member

GPU:
    xfx gtx 260/216 black ed.
    ok, i got the bsod again, but it was before i read your reply so i didn't get to write down any information. the problem happened when trying to change my resolution. oddly now that i am trying to get it to actually happen, it won't happen! i can change my resolution and run the directx3d test without fail. it seems fixed for now, but i am still worried. anything else i can run tests on to see if it's a card problem?

4. Sieras

Sieras Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 4GB
    If it is that random, then I doublt that it's a card problem (although you can never know for sure). Just run some games, or benchmarks..just to stress your card a bit more, and if you'll get a BSOD again - write down the error code(s) here.
    If the problems will continue and the BSOD will just point to the driver and nothing else - then you can try changing your drivers, maybe that will help..
    Oh and fill in your specs, if often helps. And just in case - what PSU you have?
    Good luck!