Is it worth upgrading to Vista ultimate and the latest drivers??

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by TheHunter, Jun 13, 2007.

1. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    So as i've mentioned in the thread title, is it worth changing to Vista coz, i have finally got mine, lol i won it in a price contest here in my country don't get blinded by a fake and use original... and today finally came:grin: :cheers: ,
    so are there any good drivers yet at the moment, coz i have read a little that 158.45 are pretty decent is it true?? or should i wait some more, i know that on my rig at the moment the only week thing is my ram, and pc. Anyway i would like to test it out and not get to much dissapointed on curent sistem spec. or is it worthless

i'm going to get my self a new rig very very soon, as soon as the price of c2d q6600 drops:smoke:

thanx for the tips

2. Ronaldo

Ronaldo Banned

GPU:
    BFG 8800 GTS OC 640mb
    yes it is :D

3. John Dolan

John Dolan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 780 SLI
    Worth a shot but only 1 gig of ram it isnt going to run great if you intend to game on it.Why not dual boot so you get to play with vista and see how it all works and game on xp because the ram will kill any gaming on vista.As for the drivers yes i think the 158.45 are the best atm still not great but decent enough.Have fun with your new os.

4. jaimyp

jaimyp Active Member

GPU:
    Jetway 8800GT 512MB
    I think that really depends on what configuration you are going to get. For my hardware NO, that is unless nvidia bring out good working graphic drivers + nforce4 drivers. My 7950GT works like CRAP under vista because of the drivers. Screen tearing, very slow performance, dual screen issues, refresh rate issues (CRT), missing components in the drivers and just annoying stuff that doesn't happen on XP. In time I will switch back to Vista because apart from driver issues it's a GREAT OS and improvement over XP.

Just read some posts and see what hardware configurations run best. If ya can't wait go buy stuff... else I'd wait a bit, watch the driver progress and save some money to buy something better later :)

5. SABB69

SABB69 Banned

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTS @650-1000
    dual boot and test for yourself or read other threads on the vista drivers and form your own opinion.but yes they are a little better.

6. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    Ok thanx for all your replies:), yes i'm going to use vista for gaming, hm thought about dual boot, but my second partition is almost full, and gpu blocks my sata connectors lol, damn it sure is long compared to my old 6600gt, not to mention if had a 8800gtx model lol i couldn't even put it in, coz the disk is so close to even this gts one.
    Yea i would realy like to see dx10 in motion for example Lost planet demo, i've read quite alot about this game, well any recent game and they all suck compared to XP with current drivers, prior 158.45.
    Ill wait just bit longer to get my new rig and try them then,............... or what the heck i'll install them tomorrow lol :nerd: :hatty:

7. ntfx

ntfx Guest

Whats wrong with the nforce4 drivers? They work great for me, Also the graphic card drivers are great too, i only get 50 less 3dmark points than on XP!

8. mirunit

mirunit Member

GPU:
    GTX 260 x2 SLI
    Supreme Commander crashes for me.....

9. stormy

stormy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX 7600
  10. michael06096

michael06096 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTX

11. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    Well considering your spec isint great( no ofence, your GPU is much better than mine though :) ) its a downgrade at the moment for gaming, ive lost 10-15 FPS in BF2, no longer @ my usual of constant 100FPS on everything high @ 1680x1050, i get 80-90FPS, its not bad but in your situation with CPU i think it might affect you badly. Im on vista ultimate 64bit solely( it arsed up my XP install even though its on a different partition ), you can nearly get it back to XP performance by disabling all the rubbish.

Its definately grand for gaming, dont get me wrong, but the performance will just annoy you in the end, so definately dual boot, im gonna get an 8800GTX because im so annoyed by the performance, grrrr, having said that with a 3.5Ghx OC on my processor playing Oblivion @ 1680x1050 on default i now get 50FPS :)

Oh and i got 4 gig for vista cos it eats memory

12. mazz02

mazz02 New Member

Not to sound rude, but can you honestly say you see a differenxe between 90 FPS and 100. Sounds to me that possibly Vista has better image quality and therfore performance may be down a little. I have never used Vista, so I'm guessing here. Is the image quality better?

13. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    not at all dude, well tbh 50FPS is grand, except in games like BF2, i know it sounds stupid, but ive gone through several rigs( and rig iterations ) with BF2 from a lowly Dell 4600 2.4Ghz, 512Mb, onboard sound, 40Gig harddrive to my current setup and it does make a difference, but it only in FPS games, its logic really( turning arc correction ), im not getting into the argument but I personally can see a difference in CRT refresh rates between 60 and 70 on top of that combined with a decent mouse( i have a G5 ) its obvious that more FPS give you a higher chance of e.g. when sniping and you turn to far to correct it, hell your eyes are analog :)
    It only matters 5-10% of the time but still it can be damn annoying, oh and there is 0% increase in image quality simply because thats down to the GPU, i.e. more AA/AF settings and also DX10 which i cant play cos i only have a lowly 7800GTX

14. mykledw

mykledw Guest

GPU:
    MSi RTX GT 2080
    I personally use dual boot and have ultimate.

Vista is getting better but I do have one issue...............when I end a game I have to quit and restart BF2142 (not BF2, no issues there) and I think that Vista has better IQ.

It will take you longer to get into BF2 but once in, it is butter smooth.

I know my rig is somewhat better than yours but Vista is a plus in my book!!!

I play 2142 in XP and BF2 in Vista and am very happy with both.

Follow the suggestions and dual boot if you can and test for yourself as every rig is different..............

vista is and will be the OS of tomorrow so get familiar with it now and you will be ahead of everyone else if you do..................

Cheers and good luck!!!!!!!!!!!

edit for not reading...................

your rig is better, but update your ram..................1gig is **** for us gamers...........go for 2

15. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    I havnt noticed that at all, and i cant understand why as older games are still using DX9.c the Nvidia & ATI CPs are the same, dont get me wrong im easily willing to change my opinion, just wanna know how and what has changed to provide that

16. mazz02

mazz02 New Member

I wasn't arguing, sorry for that. Was just saying if you really see a difference in those frames. I was hoping to hear that Vista had better image quality. If I'm not mistaken, it's the drivers that provide better quality/performance, right?

17. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    ahhh no probs,i just havnt seen or heard anything unless you have an 8800 and those improvements are Nvidias/ATI's increased AA and AF( cant remember the name CF i think ) and are available in XP too.
    Youre right though its the drivers usually that improve image quality, but overall its a hardware/driver/DX9/10 combination, problem is i dont think vista drivers will be sorted for at least 4-5 more months( creative said full hardware audio drivers should be available at the end of the year )

18. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    Well i ve installed it today, no BSoD what so ever, i'm gona test a few games how it works there, cheers again for all your suggestions, well i'm using 158.45 at the moment on vista 32bit. So far so good :D.

19. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    No BSOD? give it time :), actually doesnt happen much to me, maybe 1 every week or two

20. Sevens

Sevens Member

GPU:
    XFX 8800GTS 112SP
    I had 2x512mb DD2-800 sticks laying around and used them to get 3gb. Only after that is bf2 smooth in vista. 2gb is just not enough anymore.