Battlefield 2 "memory.dll" crash to destop issue in Vista.

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Zero_Lux, Jun 6, 2007.

1. Zero_Lux

Zero_Lux Active Member

GPU:
    eVGA 8800 GTS 640MB
    Myself, (and many other people on various messageboards) get this random "memory.dll" CTD error while loading into a map in BF2, regardless of their computer specs (except they are all using a version of Vista)

It usually happens upon loading the 2nd or 3rd map on a server.
    (It seems as if Vista does not know how to properly allocate memory for BF2)

Does anyone know of a fix for this?

2. StatykiVi

StatykiVi Guest

GPU:
    RX 570 8 GB
    The only thing I could think of would be there being not enough memory due to Vista hogging up memory, however I play BF2142 with 1 GB memory on XP.

3. Zero_Lux

Zero_Lux Active Member

GPU:
    eVGA 8800 GTS 640MB
    Yea this is a Vista-specific issue with Battlefield 2 AND 2142 from what I've read.

4. WaGsIe

WaGsIe Member Guru

GPU:
    Evga 8800GTX
    I was getting the same problem last night ... after a lot of thinking and trying different things , I just upped the memory volt one notch and all was fine

I know this maybe a fix for my PC only , but worth a try if you know what to do

5. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    i could not smootly play the bf 2142 demo in vista but on xp i had no problems, oh well i keeped bashing vista and i finally convinced myself is not that bad, but i dont care about BF, supreme commander rulez my life now :D

6. Zero_Lux

Zero_Lux Active Member

GPU:
    eVGA 8800 GTS 640MB
    Would it be safe for me to up the DDR Voltage from 2.5 to 2.6 without touching any other settings in the BIOS?

Note: I have 2GB of Corsair ValueSelect model # VS1GB400C3

7. Zero_Lux

Zero_Lux Active Member

GPU:
    eVGA 8800 GTS 640MB
    Well I just upped my RAM voltage to 2.7 and I also put some BF2 settings on Medium (Terrain, Effects, Texture, Lighting . . . Sound settings: Hardware). Loaded into 4 different maps without the error (not on the same server though). I'll update if I get the error again with these settings.

8. WaGsIe

WaGsIe Member Guru

GPU:
    Evga 8800GTX

I'm not at all sure what your ram voltage's should be , or what others may have it running at ?
    Just make sure it's safe to run it at that voltage , a quick search on Google would find that answer

But glad to see at least it's working so far :roll:

9. Zero_Lux

Zero_Lux Active Member

GPU:
    eVGA 8800 GTS 640MB
    I couldn't find ANYTHING specific about it's default voltage or how high it can go but I've read posts from tech support guys telling people with that exact RAM to up it to 2.7 volts in some cases in order to test different things. I figure it's default is 2.5 or 2.6.

10. jetfx

jetfx Active Member

GPU:
    Asus 670GTX DCIITOP 2G
    i have a fix for tht, but u will have to modify the bf2.exe via visual c++
    i had tht problem and i really was lost, untill i tried this fix, but i must let you know tht ur PID checksum in bf2.exe its gonna change, this means that in some servers that has pb's u will get kicked for tht change, dont confuse pb's with pinkbuster, i must tell tht a i play bf2 much more that i should, and i use many many many servers, i have only found 3 servers using pb's the rest works like a charm. i post the fix in my next post this apply to windows vista 32 and 64 bits. instructions im going to write are for windows vista 64, if u have 32bits u only have to put (programfiles) instead of (programfiles(x86))

11. jetfx

jetfx Active Member

GPU:
    Asus 670GTX DCIITOP 2G
    (You'll need to be an Administrator)
    First, you'll need to grab and install Visual Studio C++ Express from Microsoft. It's free so don't worry.
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/visualc/default.aspx
    Once installed, you'll need to update it. also the game make sure u have lastest patch installed

Backup the bf2.exe file. Just in case.
    Start -> Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition -> Visual Studio Tools -> Visual Studio 2005 Command Prompt
    Navigate to your battlefield 2 directory.
    If you don't know how to navigate in DOS, follow this:
    "cd c:\Program Files\" ENTER ***c:\Program Files (x86)\ ENTER in vista 64***
    then usually it's "cd EA GAMES" ENTER
    "cd Battlefield 2" ENTER

NOW WRITE THIS

editbin.exe /LARGEADDRESSAWARE BF2.exe hit ENTER. Should come up with a Microsoft copyright or trademark thingy. This means success.
    write exit and hit ENTER
    RDY TO ROCK!!

now this fix works for most of the games, i have use it in BF2, BF2142, STALKER, CNC3, COH

to know what file u have to modify, u need to see wich one is using the memory since sometimes it's not the (gamename.exe) for example in cnc3 its a file called cnc3game.dat not cnc3.exe, and in stalker its one called XR_3da.exe

any questions post it!!! :)

12. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
  13. jetfx

jetfx Active Member

GPU:
    Asus 670GTX DCIITOP 2G
    thts my post, i made tht long time ago when i bought vista, :)\ i posted the same in all forums i could find since it works.
    is just i dont like to think that u were thinking i stold the post hehhe, look at the end post in that original post buddy.