158.45 + Oblivion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by mheavner, Jun 3, 2007.

1. mheavner

mheavner Guest

First off, the 158.45's are really great performance wise, at least for DX-10. Lost Planet was running great for me with these. The problem was, I was getting random crashes with Oblivion. The game would seemingly skip a frame, then hang (though the sound would continue, without looping). At first I thought this was my overclock, so I set everything to defaults. The game seemed a bit more stable, but the problem still persisted. I just reverted back to the most stable drivers that I've tried for my system (158.18 non-WHQL), and there are no crashes even with my E6600 currently at ~3.55Ghz. As for Lost Planet, I'm sure it's performance will suffer from going back to this older driver.

Has anyone else had similar experiences, maybe with Oblivion, under the 158.45's?

2. KENNYB

KENNYB Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 8800 GTX 648/1900
    I haven't played it for extended hours, but when i can play it runs pretty crappy (Vista 32bit). I don't get any crashes to desktop but performance is rather pathetic.

3. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    No crashes in Oblivion here....not sure what to think about that....

But i know it looks better and plays better than it ever did on XP.

4. tHe_HyBrId

tHe_HyBrId Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6950 (Unlocked)
    Have you ever thought that the performance may be due to having only 2gb of RAm whilst also running Vista?? After turning everything off when entering a game, Vista still uses atleast 500mb, leaving 1.5gb for oblivion, which isn't enough imho. DDR2 ram is VERY cheap at the moment, I snapped up another 2gb for my system last week for only £58...it originally cost me £135 for the exact same type of ram back in February..also make sure your harddrive is defragged obviously..I get pretty decent performance using Vista x64..Oblivion is pretty CPU intensive so try pushing a little further than 3Ghz ..

HyBrId

5. KENNYB

KENNYB Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 8800 GTX 648/1900
    HyBrId,
    Yeah, i've thought about it ever since 2GB sticks dropped to $99 bucks. I just don't want to use Vista 64bit. It seems that people have more problems running Vista 64Bit.

Oblivion performance was much better for me using XP than Vista. Even after a new area has loaded FPS is down considerably.

6. Sharoth

Sharoth Guest

GPU:
    XFX Merc 319 6900XT
    I dunno what can fix your problems but I run Oblivion at high settings at 1440x900 and fps never drops below 60 and I am using the 158.45's with my current rig listed on the side there. I am only running 2gb of ram as well but I have no problems whatsoever. No FPS drops, No Stutters, etc.. Maybe see if you have the latest drivers for your chipset.

7. KENNYB

KENNYB Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 8800 GTX 648/1900
    What settings though? Everything maxed? How much AA and AF? In doors or outdoors?

8. Sharoth

Sharoth Guest

GPU:
    XFX Merc 319 6900XT
    I just confirmed both of the settings high and ultra high that you setup in the Oblivion Launcher. on high, indoors or outdoors, its a constant 60-75 (vsync locked at 75hz). on ultra high, indoors is 60+ but outdoors drops considerably, while still playable, not what im all about so I play with the high settings. I did notice I use the HDR lighting so naturally it wont let me use FSAA.
    And to be honest, high looks damn near as good as ultra high, at least on my rig. /shrug

9. Grymn

Grymn Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800 GTS 512 750/2100 SLI
    You have an eight series, just force AA on in the control panel. 4X AA w/ HDR and 16x AF. :)

10. mheavner

mheavner Guest

Yeah, I'm not sure what was causing Oblivion issues for me. Maybe Vista x64, or instability with 4 gigs of RAM? Maybe I'll switch back to 158.45's later today and try to fiddle with some overclocking settings, though I'm pretty sure defaulting everything still resulted in random crashes at certain points.

11. Zer0K3wL

Zer0K3wL Banned

GPU:
    gtx 480 850/1700/2000 h2o
    64 bit vista is great not single problem thought that 32 bit ran better so gave it a go
    crashes lockups etc so on.
    gave up went back to 64 bit not single crash or lockup performance is better asswell.
    tbh there not many problems on 64 bit except sli and 4 gb ram for example or 4 gb and creative sound card does't really mix yet.
    tbh if can run 64 bit give it a try i'm sure it run better then 32 bit

12. KENNYB

KENNYB Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 8800 GTX 648/1900
    Yeah, with those settings @1680x1050 and outdoors Oblivion runs kinda pathetic. I'm going to reinstall the game. Maybe some of the mods that im running are to blame. Also, i went ahead and bought 2x2 GB of RAM. At $99 per stick i had no choice :bigsmile:

13. homerpez

homerpez Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI 3650 / 4890
    I actually did have this happen to me.... I think.

I just upgraded to a E6600 + 2GB Ram and the 8800 GTS which I had before. On these drivers, I still have some of the stuttering issues (usually when you appoach a new area). Otherwise, I was VERY pleased with the speed @ 1680 x 1050.

However...

All of the sudden, when I tried to cast a spell of some sort, it opened up some random black program window, and when I closed that and went back to Oblivion, the character was frozen in place, and I could only rotate the view with my mouse - all other movement was gone. Crash.

Aw well, this is what you get for beta.

14. sam3000

sam3000 Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI GTX970
    yeah I run 4x AA with HDR and 4x AF @ 1280x1024 (on 64 bit vista with 158.45 drivers) and it runs fine. a good 60+fps indoors and variable outdoors depending on which direction you're looking ;-). the view distance configs / shadow configs etc make a huge difference though. it's possible for me to make outdoors crawl horrendously just by knocking a few sliders up to the maximum.

15. PalmerEldritch

PalmerEldritch Active Member

GPU:
    Asus GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB
    I play Oblivion fully maxed at 1280x1024 and have no problems even though I have 2GB RAM only. I run Vista x64 and ForceWare 158.24.

16. mheavner

mheavner Guest

The 158.45 Betas were so close to being stable for me, just this Oblivion issue and Dreamscene acting up a bit (though this program is still just a preview/Beta anyways). Maybe I should try a Vista reinstall? I haven't done this at all since first installing it (~2 months ago)