Help please, Driver Problem (I think)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Slient Bob, May 17, 2007.

1. Slient Bob

Slient Bob Master Guru

GPU:
    9800GX2 - 24" Dell 2408WFP
    Help please, Very low 3D Mark scores

Since installing the 158.42 drivers my 3D Mark score 06 has gone down from 3700 to 2200!

I went back to numerous previous drivers but am having the same problem! Because I run XP also in a dual boot it is not a catastrophe but it is bugging me!

I have no games installed on Vista so havent been able to check game performance but Im guessing that will have been affected!

Does anyone have any suggestions! Please!

Last edited: May 21, 2007
  2. Tesana

Tesana Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 280 @ Stock
    Uninstall, boot, use Driver Cleaner Pro, reinstall new flavour of your choice.

That should sort ya.

Tes

3. Slient Bob

Slient Bob Master Guru

GPU:
    Thanks for the reply!

Ive never used driver cleaner pro! So I have a couple of questions!

Do I need to boot into MS Dos or can I just go into vista normally?

Is it free or can I use a trial version?

Is there anything I need to know before I run the program, are default settings safe enough as I dont want to destroy anything?

Thanks in advance! :approval:

4. Crunch77

Crunch77 Active Member

GPU:
    nVidia gtx 460
    You can still download the free version. I normally boot into safe mode when running it, but I'm not entirely sure that it's necessary, but better safe than sorry. Hope you get it sorted. :)

5. Slient Bob

Slient Bob Master Guru

GPU:
    Hey all! Ive uninstalled my old driver, rebooted into safe mode, ran driver cleaner, rebooted, reinstalled new driver!

And still I have scores of like 2000 on 3D mark 06 instead of 3700 which I used to get! It looks and runs terribly!

Does anybody have any other ideas what it could be?

6. Slient Bob

Slient Bob Master Guru

GPU:
    Can anyone help, please!

I have tried driver cleaner, in safe mode! I have installed most drivers and none of them work!

I dont have vast computer knowledge but im not a noob just incase you think that I am some clueless PC user who has managed to damage his PC!

Is there anything else it could be as I am thinkind that it isnt a driver issue!

7. DeathDealer175

DeathDealer175 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX2080ti
    Was the card overclocked before? Whats the temperatures when running?

8. Slient Bob

Slient Bob Master Guru

GPU:
    Its not been overclocked before! And it works fine in XP, I get 4100 in 3D Mark 06 which is about as high as I can get with my system!

This is why I am so confused!

9. DeathDealer175

GPU:
    GTX2080ti
    Umm at the weekend i had to do a complete reinstall of Vista due to a startup issue. Now i have gone with the 160.03 driver http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1634 which has been the best driver for me (7 series).

Try uninstalling 3dmark06 and reinstall to see if you get the same score, also has your vista performance score changed?

10. Slient Bob

Slient Bob Master Guru

GPU:
    Just tried some benchmarks in XP and ran 3D mark and the scores are realy low in XP also!

Now I am slightly worried!

11. DeathDealer175

GPU:
    GTX2080ti
    You need to monitor your temperatures out when running under load, what are your individual benchmark scores?

Use speedfan to check you CPU+System temperatures, check your graphic card temperature in nvidia control panel or install Riva tuner to record temps.

12. Slient Bob

Slient Bob Master Guru

GPU:

Using Expert tool I found that the graphics card temp is 52'c when doing nothing as such!

My Vista experience has also been effected, Gaming graphics score has gone from 5.7 to 5.2!

With my graphics card getting low benchmarks in both XP and Vista could it mean my grahics card is damaged or would it not work at all if it was damaged?

13. Yay4Juggs

Yay4Juggs Member

GPU:
    x1950pro 512mb PCIe 621/1593
    does your card have a molex connector for power ? you and i have very similar set ups however i beefed up my power supply once i got this card and i get 5700 - 6200 on 3d mark with a gpu temp of only 43c

14. DeathDealer175

GPU:
    GTX2080ti

It seems you do have a graphic card problem, it may be a voltage problem as mentioned or it could be a overheating problem.
    52oC seems a bit high with no load to me, maybe you could try installing N-Tune http://www.nvidia.com/object/sysutility.html .

Run "stabilty checker" in n-tune for 10mins, make sure you have the temperature monitor open as well and make note of temps. The stabilty checker when running will open a graphic window every few seconds, i forgot to say make sure you check the box for graphics and uncheck the hard drive, cpu, pci test.

15. Slient Bob

Slient Bob Master Guru

GPU:
    Sorry I took so long in getting back to you!

I ran a stress test and the temps went up to 65'c! Still around 52'c when doing nothing!

I seem to remember it being alot lower, perhaps in the 40s!

Also when I ran 3D mark again the other day I noticed the CPU test has been realy affected, it takes age and gets lik 0.3 fps or something like that!