Varying Benchmark Results with 8800 GTS

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Ac1d|BuRn, May 21, 2007.

1. Ac1d|BuRn

Ac1d|BuRn Guest

GPU:
    Sparkle 8800 GTS PCIe
    Hi,

i was just wondering if anyone else is getting back results from various benchmarks with scores that are quite different each time and imho not normal variations.

e.g.
    3DMark 06
    Overall Scores 7466 7090 7201 7680
    SM2.0 Scores 3030 3550 3317 3620

Of course i benched using the same set of drivers. this is just part of the results i got back from driver 106.02 beta.
    also tried different drivers but getting back crazy results like this too.

System specs:
    CPU: Athlon X2 - 4400+ Toledo Core - 89W 2x1mb L2 Cache
    Board: Asus A8N-Sli - nForce 4 SLi - Arctic Cooling Chipset Cooler
    Board-Software: Bios 1014 - nForce4 Driver 6.67 WHQL
    Memory: 1gb GeiL DDR-Ram 400mhz - 2,5/3/3/6 @ 2.65V - Dualchannel
    VGA: Sparkle Geforce 8800 GTS 640mb
    Sound: Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS
    HDD: 2x Maxtor 200gb SATA

i find this issue rather weird since ive never had such large differences when benchmarking a few times with my old gpu.
    differences were mostly between 50-100 points max.

thx in advance!

2. bug77

bug77 Banned

GPU:
    Palit 8800GT
    Wow. Something's terribly wrong. There's no correlation between the SM2.0 and the overall score. Maybe it's 3DMark itself, try reinstalling.

3. Jelle Mees

Jelle Mees Banned

GPU:
    8800GT 512MB 684Mhz/1836Mhz/2088Mhz
    I have the exact same "problem" on 3DMark05. I think it's because the X2 CPU's are just nood good enough anymore. They can't provide all the power at all times that the Geforce 8800 requires.

If you want to know how the card performs, test the card in your favourite game and ask some other 8800GTS users to post their FPS in your game.

3DMark, I am sure that this benchmark will become less important in the future unless 3DMark becomes a benchmark that only uses the GPU, not the CPU...

4. DYNOMO

DYNOMO Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5870
    Could it be your power supply is not up to the job ?

5. bug77

bug77 Banned

GPU:
    Palit 8800GT
    Hey, just look at the guy's specs. His PSU and CPU are enough for his system.

6. Jelle Mees

Jelle Mees Banned

GPU:
    The X2 CPU's are just goode enough for a Geforce 8800GTS, but they become a big bottleneck once you put a GTX or Ultra in the pc.

I see it myself with my card. Put my overclocked card in a C2D desktop and you will see that the 3DMark05 score will be 2000-3000 points higher.

7. SABB69

SABB69 Banned

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTS @650-1000
    yes you will ,but its not extra points from the card its what a c2d scores ,about 2000-2500 more on cpu score then an x2 or my opteron165,but yes i think your scores are way low I score 9700 in 3dmark06.you need to overclock your chip and card.

p.s weird thing is looking at 3dmark scores people with c2d scores higher then x2 or my opty but the only difference in score is from the cpu. not the cpu giving the gpu any extra power and getting a higher score ,so c2d get a higher score but dont seem to enhance the gpu power at all.

Last edited: May 21, 2007
  8. Ac1d|BuRn

Ac1d|BuRn Guest

GPU:
    Sparkle 8800 GTS PCIe
    well the psu outputs 26amps @ 12v, thats more than the recommended amount. i know ppl with far less powerfull psus that use a 8800gts.

about the X2 ... maybe it MIGHT be a bottleneck in some cases, but if it was a bottleneck, shouldnt the scores be somewhat equally low?
    i mean: if it performs crappy, it should be constantly performing crappy.
    so i think the cpu is not really the problem here.
    (dualcore optimizer is of course installed btw)

from the overall feel id say the card performs normal ... but when i read around a bit everyone seems to be getting at least 7600 in 3dmark06 with a comparable sys and most important: rather rconstant values.

im really hoping on more sophisticated drivers as time goes by :/

9. cad cam man

cad cam man Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4090
    Hello Jelle Mees what do you get on 05 and 06 just asking?

10. Jelle Mees

Jelle Mees Banned

GPU:
    13000-14000. The scrore is different every time I run. Somethimes 300 points difference. Highest I remember was 14100+, but that was with another driver.

The card is still not running at it's maximum. When I compare my clockspeeds with other GTS users I can say that it's high enough so far. Starting next week I will go 5Mhz higher every week.

11. cad cam man

cad cam man Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4090
    I see, The best i have on 05 was 16000 and a bit, At this i was well happy.
    GPU 625/1800, CPU 3.2Gz
    Ps this was on Xp not vista.

12. vO!d

vO!d Guest

GPU:
    ASUS R9 290 DirectCU II
    I had the same problem with my old card: FX5800.
    In my case it had something to do with the temperature of my card (the more higher the temp was, the lower the score was), because it produced more mistakes in calculating.
    The other reason was my OC. When I OC too much, the GPU was calculating wrong results too.

Watch your temperature, try benchmarking with an opened case and return to stock values.

I hope this will help you...

13. Ac1d|BuRn

Ac1d|BuRn Guest

GPU:
    Sparkle 8800 GTS PCIe
    sadly im running the card on stock speeds :/

case temp shouldnt be a problem either since i have an excellent airflow in my case and sufficient cooling.

i ran some more benches yesterday which brought back interesting results, since im at university now ill post them later today!

so long...

14. Tranzmit

Tranzmit Member Guru

GPU:
    HIS HD 7970 X Turbo
    getting my 2900 XT in a couple of days and i'm going to try this and see what happens. But weird, very weird as if anything gpu temps should rise not drop

15. deceived

deceived Guest

GPU:
    XFX radeon hd 7870 @ 1100
    could there maybe be some background process's that are disrupting your score eg some spyware or un-noticed programs, do you have a spare hard drive you can run another os on like xp and test to make sure its not a hardware problem.
    but first id run some virus and spyware scans.

16. Copey

Copey Guest

GPU:
    960 2GB
    i bet its the psu , doesnt matter if it sayd it outputs 26A , the fact its a poor make says it all , i havent even heard of it (therefore isnt a well known brand)

17. DYNOMO

DYNOMO Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5870
    That was my exact thoughts. :cops:

18. DYNOMO

DYNOMO Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5870
    My exact thoughts

19. deceived

deceived Guest

GPU:
    XFX radeon hd 7870 @ 1100
    revoltec = revolting psu's?

20. Ac1d|BuRn

Ac1d|BuRn Guest

GPU:
    Sparkle 8800 GTS PCIe
    Actually Revoltec isnt that unknown here in germany.
    they even tested exact my make and model in a quite respected computermagazine here (c't for all you germans out there) and the results werent bad at all.
    another thing which points me towards a driver issue, rather than a psu issue is the fact that some benches/timedemos like doom3/quake4 or stalker produce quite stable results with 158.22 whql (+/- 2%)

and there is definetly no spyware and/or virus running, since my system install is almost clean and i keep a close watch on any unwanted background processes all the time. only program running while benching is antivir, which i had running back in the days of my gf4400ti and gf6800gt as well.
    of course all benchmarks are always performed directly after a fresh boot, with the second display disabled and always in the same order to have the best chance at comparable results.

although i wanted to post more scores today i didnt quite get to typing them down, hopefully tomorrow ill have more free time at hand.