Dell announce 'DisplayPort ' LCD monitors

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, May 21, 2007.

1. Paulus

Paulus Master Guru

GPU:
    7900GTX
    audio and video in one cable? ugh..

I'd rather have separate- using separate speakers/amp setup won't be possible with this?

what the hell are they doing? trying to kill ALL music tech of today to combine it with video?? Jesus this sounds f*****g nuts

audio and video should ALWAYS be separate, not everyone uses their monitor for sound lol

2. nutyo

nutyo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X HD5870
    I'd be happy to comply with your arbitrary, elitist rule of one graphics card per year if you are happy to send me the money to buy said graphics card.

Not all of us can run to mummy and daddy and say 'gimme gimme gimme'.

3. Dierdre

Dierdre Banned

GPU:
    Evga Geforce 7800GTX
    I agree, you have to assume any device like takes HDMI or this new type will have an audio out so that your not forced to play the sound on your display device. So your not limited like that.

However I still prefer to have them seperate because thats just one less thing in the way of the audio.

Somtimes I may want to que up alot of songs, turn on the sterio and let them play... with the monitor off. If the audio is going thru the monitor this wont be possible. So thats light in my room I dont want, and just using extra electricity. I run my headphones directly from my computer sound card instead of thru my sterio just so I get higher SQ. Most of those sound guru's will tell you that even an expensive amlipfier or comptuer speaker set will lower the signal quality if you use it as a pre-amp so running directly from your card is best.

If a sterio device lowers signal quality... I dont think a computer monitor or HDTV will have the highest quality components for audio....

It may be all digital at that point tho so the signal may not get harmed at all, but then that still doesnt change the previous points.

4. darknight909

darknight909 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 2080
    i agree, we wouldnt have computers right now if inventors didnt think like this. Everyone wrote off computers because they didnt need them

5. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Guest

GPU:
    5x580 2x590 2x780Ti 1x970
    Inventing something that has no added value over the current product just for the sake of the "new tech" is utterly stupid.

6. Dierdre

Dierdre Banned

GPU:
    Evga Geforce 7800GTX
    Being that is says it wont be hdmi/dvi/vga compatible hurts.

Right now those are universal and with an adapter you can have eather of the 3 from your video card. This new connection type will require its own dedicated output wich could raise video card cost.

Also the world of Home Entertainment and PC's was being pulled closer and closer together almost as one. I think thats a good thing. Heck infact my PC Display right now is actully a HD TV.

HDMI was pulling the two even closer together, but this is being marketed as "PC Display Only" so it will try to tear the two worlds apart again.

Its not really out yet so who knows what it will be like before release and it shows up on products. However so far it doesnt look like somthing I think we need at all or that I would be very intrested in.

7. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    How the hell is it much better? Maybe with an analog signal, but with digital the carrier doesn't matter, as long as the signal gets there. It works or it doesn't, simple as that.

As for Displayport, HDMI is already 10 miles ahead, as it's in most new consumer electronics.

8. Woodmasterfox

Woodmasterfox Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Mobility Radeon 9200
    Jesus, if you don't want to use something like this, here is a novel idea: don't use it! You all complain so fking much. If you don't like it, don't use it. Its just that simple. For my work computer, I would use this simply because the less wires, the better.

Now stop acting like you are the "technology authority" and just because you say this is useless its true. You all have an opinion, but I just simply don't care.

9. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I did a search for useless in this thread and your the only one who mentioned it. I don't really pay attention to most users posting habits but judging by your last few posts your either mentally deranged or have a serious reading comprehension problem. Almost every user in this thread pointed out that there is already a solution to the frenzied wire problem and that it is called HDMI. HDMI to me is already a standard, as many appliances (TV, Video Card Manufactures, Blu-Ray,HD-DVD, DVD, and other electronics) already have this technology in use. What we are merely pointing out, is the question of why is another company trying to create another standard?

If you simply didn't care about DisplayPort or HDMI, then don't come in the thread posting nonsense about digital signals or cable management.

Last edited: May 22, 2007
  10. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    i for one Dont Like HDMI.

But i guess that doesnt matter///