Tbh, DX10 is a scam

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by sl4vik, May 16, 2007.

1. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    I meant doing it in terms of performance. Therfore the DX10 adds superb physics effect with unknown performance ;) Not really 'new', but still not really seen before. (don't count PhysX)

2. Dublin_Gunner

Dublin_Gunner Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB

It means DX10 titles can technically run smoother in DX10 with the same effects etc as DX9. Its all up to the developer though.

With Supreme Commander, it could be either. You can use lighter load in DX10 to add extra effects.

Put simply, with DX10 you could have it A) look the same, run better or B) look better and run the same.

3. Dublin_Gunner

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB
    DX10 has no requirement for physics processing.

The curernt crop of DX10 cards can do physics calculations through the shader processors, but would still rely on a Physics API such as Havok FX.

So thats up to game developers to implement, it has nothing to do with the DX10 API, just the raw horse power of the cards.

4. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    but in DX9 they cannot? They need to run in DX10 (or openGL) to do physics, right?

5. Dublin_Gunner

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB
    As I stated, its nothing to do with DX10, it must be implemented via a third party API such as Havok FX.

There are DX9 games which have HavokFX built in for Physics processing.

Some DX9 GPU's can do physics calculations through their shaders, such as G70/71 and derivitives, and X1K series.

Remember the whole 3xPCI-E slots so you could have SLI/Crossfire and another card for Physics?

6. Ghz

Ghz Maha Guru

GPU:
    evga 6800ultra 256mb
    thx dublin. :)

7. Sparx

Sparx Guest

GPU:
    Asus HD 6950 OC 2GB
    1.) They provide DirectX10, they don't provide the games...that's up to game developers...
    2.) Microsoft don't provide Drivers either. Maybe Vista updates & patches, but other than that, that's up to; AMD, ATi, NVIDIA, Intel, Creative, etc. All Microsoft/Vista do driver-wise, is provide them for easier access with Vista features, easier and more public distribution.
    3.) What apps did they promise? Oh, Halo 2? Who cares? It's a **** game, and it's a game, not an app.
    4.) But yeah, Microsoft are pretty ****, but your statements are pretty bland.

Exactly, and some people are still crying that Crysis is nothing special and looks like DX9? That's not Microsoft/DX10's fault, that's up to the game developer how long they choose to develop it and use all the fully functional and 'cool' features of DX10 and it's libraries.

Last edited: May 21, 2007
  8. Dublin_Gunner

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB
    Pretty much agree with everything you've said there.

I do however think Crysis (from what can be seen with the videos and screens) does look better than any current DX9 game, especially the environment. I also recon it'll be a hog to run at the level of detail they're showing it off at (on current hardware anyway).

Ghz, no probs!

9. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    Your wrong about that

I have my 360 running at 1080p right now!!

or

1920*1080 for Res terms. You can play games at 1080p, not with component though...Only VGA and mabye HDMI havnt checked

10. sl4vik

sl4vik Banned

GPU:
    X1800XT 512mb @ 700/800
    Those of you interested in DX10 patch for Supreme Commander, check this :

Despite earlier reports that a DirectX10 patch for Gas Powered Games's sci-fi RTS title Supreme Commander would be released after the game shipped to stores, this post on the developer's official message boards has revealed that those plans have been scrapped. Here is a snip:

Despite the best efforts of our own team and our partners from Microsoft and Nvidia, the timing simply did not line up. The availability of DX10 hardware, final releases of Vista itself, and the solid drivers simply did not line up with the necessary time frames in our development cycle. Having missed that window, our dev team has focused on graphical improvements that will benefit a far wider audience than the still very small but growing segment of Vista users with DX10 compatible cards. Having missed that window, the resources necessary to integrate the tech do not make sense compared to what can be accomplished for that greateraudience.

OWNED BITCHEZ

11. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    Hated that game...Doesnt "own" me :)

12. Copey

Copey Guest

GPU:
    960 2GB
    if yopu think its a con , wait until crysis and UT3 etc come out , wont be saying it then , developers have allready said that DX10 offers alot its programming the effects into a game that takes the time

13. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    lol bubble bobble :D I would crap my pants at bubble bobble in the full glory that is 1080p lol

14. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    i think people should stop saying "wait until crysis"

Its not that Good That we have to base our assumptions on Crysis...

Im am 99% sure Alot better games will come out than Crysis...Like ones that will be DX10 only and coded in DX10 from the start

15. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    You all guys making such a big deal from the graphic, DX10 i tell ya what it's all **** if the gameplay is forgotten... and for crist sake it just GRAPHIC nothing to be much excited of.

16. neilapril

neilapril Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 GTS
    Carmac also said that he doesn't like mutiple cores and they won't really catch on because programers don't like coding for multicores.

17. Copey

Copey Guest

GPU:
    960 2GB
    off course a fair point , but i think that crysis wil be the game that shows off what DX10 can really do if not then come and find me after it gets released

i aint saying that there arnt going to be better games than crysis but the fact that crysis is seen as one of the 'big' DX10 titles , we dont really have anything else to base our assumptions on

18. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    Yup, you can have 2 2900xt's in crossfire and an x1600 for the physics card which is still cheaper than physX. Don't know how effective it would be though :(

19. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    For me World In Conflict looks And Will Prob play better than Crysis :p

it look amazing on DX9....Looks Even better on Dx10.

20. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    How and When Did u hear this....This is Nothing But rumours. And When it come no one knows...?? Thats if it does come.....

But ill be happy if u have a good source??