GPU temp down 4-5C after using WMP 10

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Barton C++, May 19, 2007.

1. Barton C++

Barton C++ Guest

GPU:
    MSI Hawk GTX460 1GB @ SLI
    GPU temp down 4-5C after using WMP 11

Vista and 8800GTS owners, check your GPU idle temp using RivaTuner 2.01 (restart with cold PC, open RT and monitor GPU temp until it stabilizes)

Temp stays there for hours if gpu not used...but open a video file (.wmv) using Windows Media Player 10: immediately gpu temp drops to those temps I had on XP: 52C (normal would be 57-58 for Vista)

Anyone get the same ?

Last edited: May 20, 2007
  2. LifeForce

LifeForce Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 8800 Ultra SLI
    What is with Windows Media Player? This reminds me of how some people who were capped at 64fps (with dual cores) in World of Warcraft turned it on and saw the cap removed or something. Does it have magical powers?

3. GTOViper

GTOViper New Member

GPU:
    XFX 8800GTX 768MB
    HOLY ****! You sir, are definitely not crazy, I just tried playing an WMV file from Microsoft's WMV HD Content Showcase the 1080p Robotica movie and BAM!! My 8800GTX instantly dropped 6-8C.

My 8800GTX used to idle around 60C in WinXP Pro, but after upgrading to Vista, the idle temp raised 6-8C, but after running the WMV video with WMP10, it dropped right back to WinXP Pro idle temps!

I think you're onto something!!!

Now whenever my idle temp rises... *Clicks WMV file* :smoke:

4. GTOViper

GTOViper New Member

GPU:
    XFX 8800GTX 768MB
    *EDIT* WMP11 in Vista, not WMP10.

5. archie123

archie123 Guest

GPU:
    Aorus 1080ti Extreme
    So its not just due to your fan gpu fan speeding up then? Does your GPU go into 3D mode when you start WMP? Your fan speed will increase but as WMP isnt exactly stressing your GPU your temps will fall.

Just a suggestion ;)

6. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 VENTUS OC
    yeah i know. Your fan will turn up whenever you run movies (i know cuz i can hear mine do it) and thus drop the temps.

7. Barton C++

Barton C++ Guest

GPU:
    Don't know what WMP version comes with Vista, probably it is 11 and not 10 as I typed.

Ofcourse I monitor core and memory clocks, gpu temp & fan speed using RT 2.01, and fan speed stays at 80%, only gpu temp changes.

With fans at 100% I don't get this low temp, guess 55C would be lowest (compared to 52-53C after using WMP 11 with fans at 80%)

But currently i'm at work, will stick my ear close to fan to really be sure if there are 2/3D fan speeds.

Also, the low temp stays for long time. I guess playing game makes it "normal" again.

EDIT ///

Maybe there are 2D/3D voltage settings, and Vista doesn't switch to 2D volts at startup, but manages after using WMP ?

Last edited: May 20, 2007
  8. Barton C++

Barton C++ Guest

GPU:
    I opened WMP and checked settings, under "Performance" (or similar, got Swedish version) at bottom there is "Activate DirectX video acceleration for WMV files" (again, translated from Swedish)

Enabling this gives low temp
    Disabling it, immediately raises temp

So, I'll add a .wmv shortcut to windows autostart, giving me lower idle temps :)

btw: I didn't hear fan speeding up/down at any time, had case door open, head stuck near fan.

9. Unearthly

Unearthly Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 GTS 640mb
    So I read this and think "Probably a load of bull. Either that or something else is going on in the background and it's not actually WMP doing anything."

I'm using Vista, I have WMP 11. I decide to try it anyway.

Within 1 minute, my GPU temps are down 4C. Another minute and another 1C.

Fan speeds stayed the same.

WTF?!

10. king-dubs

king-dubs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 FE
    Perhaps there's a separate video processor on the G80's, and the load is transferred to that, and the GPU core is not doing much with it anymore.

11. Unearthly

Unearthly Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 GTS 640mb
    The odd thing is, I wasn't playing a video before, I started the .wmv, stopped the wmv, low temps are still there. I went from 74C idle (before playing video) to 68C now.

12. LifeForce

LifeForce Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 8800 Ultra SLI
    Is it possible that WMP is simply messing with the GPU or the system, somehow giving off inaccurate readings? Could it be some kind of fluke.

13. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 VENTUS OC
    could be a driver issue.
    Anyway you guys are over thinking this. Its not some miracle or anything. 5C isn't really that significant anyway.

14. GTOViper

GTOViper New Member

GPU:
    XFX 8800GTX 768MB
    5C could mean another 10-15+Mhz GPU Core :smoke:

15. me666

me666 Banned

GPU:
    nv1
    do you own a 8800? do you feel mad while you vga reaches temps near the meltdown in idle? nope? so stfu! anyway, nice find barton...here your cooky :)

16. Theliel

Theliel Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7600GT 600/1800
    If you use Hardware accell for Video content, its normal that GPU temp up. WMP11 in vista use native WMV hardware acceleration and EVR (Dxva 2.0). both tecnology use GPU features, so its normal a GPU temp plus. (of course, all nvidia serie 7x00 and 8x00 have WMV and H264 hardware support)

Last edited: May 21, 2007
  17. bk227865

bk227865 New Member

Confirmed the temperature drop.

My 8800GTX went from 72C idle to 65C idle :) did not notice any fan speed change.
    and after running 3dmark the temp went back to 65C idle.

Amazing.

Has to be redone after reboot though.

Not yet certain but after playing a wmv file the vista "nvlddmkm driver stopped responding" bug seems to be less for me too. Anyone else that can confirm that ?

18. Dingchow

Dingchow Active Member

GPU:
    Palit+Evga 260 GTX SC Sli
    In Vista mine idles at 47-49c
    My card doest even hit 70c when playing LOST PLANET demo.
    The HD media player hack does NOTHING for me.

19. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 VENTUS OC
    OH SNAP! I had no clue 60C was meltdown temps! I will stfu for all eternity. :puke3:
    just FYI, if something that could lower my SLI temps significantly came up i'd be happy as a fox as well. 5C means jack. End of story.

20. Barton C++

Barton C++ Guest

GPU:

But when DXVA is enabled/activated (the default WMP11 setting), it's then the temp gets lower :coffee2: I toggled the DXVA value in WMP11 while monitoring temps:

WMP11 menu: Tools->Options->Performance->Activate DirectX video acceleration for WMV files

If you have played a .wmv file with WMP11, temp will change whenever you change the setting:

1. Activated, gives low temp
    2. De-activated gives the normal, higher temp

3. If you haven't played any .wmv file, but open and change the setting in WMP11: no temp changes (high temp)

Makes no sense...I'm hoping WMP11 really does something to the gpu that Vista doesn't do (lowers volt, clocks, puts to 2D mode) and it's not a temp showing bug...

I'll measure gpu exhaust temps tomorrow :cops: