Help! need advice, 8600gt good enough for most new games??

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by jinkoy, May 20, 2007.

1. jinkoy

jinkoy New Member

GPU:
    6600GT
    guys, i really need advice on this. As of now, i'm on a tight budget and was thinking that the 8600GT is the best bang for your buck DX10 card out there on the 150$ or less price range. Any of you think the same about this card w/ regards to the new games out today (BF2, Oblivion, C&C3, Medieval 2, etc...)??

P.S. I'm also thinking of upgrading to an AMD X2 processor btw, my old PC sucks as you can see, seeing that DX10 cards utilize PCI-e also..

Last edited: May 20, 2007
  2. onetu3

onetu3 Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI 4850
    Yes it should be good enough and you should be able to play those games you mentioned on high to medium settings if you play at the resolution of 1280x1024 or lower (possibly 1600x1200 depending on the game). I don't think this card would be able to run higher resolutions very smoothly though unless you overclock.

And maybe add more ram too while you're at it, since you're also upgrading your cpu. That is if your budget allows.

3. jinkoy

jinkoy New Member

GPU:
    6600GT
    tnx! yup, i am playing @ 1280x1024 right now, this is the max resolution of my monitor. I am planning also to upgrade up to 2GB of RAM. Again, tnx for the advice!:approval:

4. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Guest

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000
    The 8600GT is good enough for the resolution you are playing so i wont worry about it unless you will upgrade the monitor also.

Yeah all you need is an Dual-core CPU and 2gb ram along with the new card and you wont have any problems.

5. ssjkev16

ssjkev16 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon X1900GT
    yeah definitely the 8600GTS should be able to run those games mentioned at your monitor's max rez without much of the eye candy disabled ;) ....I was actually thinking of picking one up for use on my secondary rig, as they are currently on sale at Futureshop (canadian store) for only $199.95 CAD saving $80.00 from the retail price!

6. Norvekh

Norvekh Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    If you can spare the extra, try and go for the 8600 GTS. It's got that nice extra 'umpf' to make it last a little longer than the 8600 GT. Combine that with an additional 1GB of memory and an X2 and you'll have a pretty nice system going there that should last another two years or so.

7. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    kabayan..the 8600GT will be a good upgrade from a 6600GT :) pero its just at par with a 7600GT in most games.. so yes its a good card at $150 (or are you buying here in Pinas? coz thats the best buy so far as the 7900GS are a little more expensive

its DX10 performance remains to be seen though as I havent seen anyone posting a feedback as to how it performs under DX10 lost planet

BTW are you planning on buying the Palit sonic version?

8. Gungrave

Gungrave Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800GTS 320MB
    You'd be best off getting yourself a 8800GTS, a lot more performance for not too much more money. Save up for one, you won't regret it.

9. Sukovsky

Sukovsky Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    That is really off-topic

10. Copey

Copey Guest

GPU:
    960 2GB
    the 8600GT/GTS's would siut your resolution fairly well i think , you can get pre-overclocked 8600GT's that are basically GTS's in disgiuse and will clock just as well , have a look around for a good deal

also at that resolution extar clocks on the gpu should make a lot of difference as your not as cpu bound

11. D-DayDawson

D-DayDawson Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 5770
    Well I think it's hard to say which budget card now.... since I played the Lost Planet DX10 Demo and get not more than 25fps on my system, kinda pisses me off! £450 for my card and this is what I get! I know it's only a demo... but DAMN! If you're not moving to vista then I'd get a 7950x2 and if you wanna play DX10 games start saving for a whole new rig

12. kpo6969

kpo6969 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming
    XFX 8600GT XXX 620/1600 right out of the box. $150.00

13. TheWheelman

TheWheelman Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus96GT512 700/1800/1100
    What do you get in 3DMark 06?

14. Copey

Copey Guest

GPU:
    960 2GB
    not i dont mean ones like that , palit or inno3D usually release cards that are in disguise, and are usually much cheaper than an overclocked version like the XXX version

15. Kerry_gao

Kerry_gao New Member

GPU:
    galaxy 6600gt
    HI everyone

I just bought a Galaxy 8600GE 650/2000 Version right out of the box. haha...will show you guys the score of 3DMark 06 tomorrow ...

16. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    though i have a palit, i cant vouch for their quality on non-8800 cards (since 8800s are made by one maker anyway so it dont fall under palit quality)

they redesign the PCBs like the ones ive seen on Palit 8600GTs on sale here which is either a good or bad thing depending on the new design
    my friends Palit 7600GT sonic overclocks like mad though

17. jinkoy

jinkoy New Member

GPU:
    6600GT
    thanks for the tips guys! yep Waway, i'm looking to buy the Palit geforce cards coz they're the cheaper brand here in Pinas w/ good performance, so it fits the "best bang for the buck" description :approval: anyway, i'm still looking to save some more extra cash before upgrading so i'll keep in mind the suggestions you guys posted here in this thread. tnx alot! :approval:

18. amieneel

amieneel Guest

GPU:
    XFX 5770 + 240 GT PhysX
    8600 generation card is good enough for next generation games...but u also install another 1 GB ram At least ...:coffee2:

19. Caypiranha

Caypiranha Member

GPU:
    Sparkle 8800 GTS 512
    ..be aware what for example S.T.A.L.K.E.R. will do with the cards! FPS will be too low for this!

you may run into trouble with a 8600 - anyway. If u like playing games, and try to avoid to renew it again in a couple of month you GPU

http://www.computerbase.de/artikel/...eon_hd_2900_xt/14/#abschnitt_spielebenchmarks

its in German, but the benchmarkresults are international anyway.. =))

remind: 25 FPS is limit for smooth pictures, but this is an average Value!

so cards must produce 40-50 fps to be Stable everytime - and keep a little bit of performance left, for the next Game title.

so long!

20. apophis3d

apophis3d New Member