Miyamoto: 'I Could Make Halo'

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Digitalmessiah, May 12, 2007.

1. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2

Opinons (as my statement clearly was) are now form of argument? The reason I compared was satire - I was proving a point (or attempting too) by comparing in a similar fashion to the origional author to proclaim how ridiculous the comment in question was.

I will pass the point on the Myth games for being 'real time tactical' - in honestly I thought they were akin to a turn based game (An adventure game at that - though the real name eludes me utterly) with a similar name. Badly researched and commented on my behalf. I relent to that, at the least.

You do however fail in a major respect of your argument: Comparing a 'good game' to an opinion. Aka: a review. Simply because a "reviewer" on a website gave his opinion on a game, does not make the game good. More so considering I've found gamespot reviewers to be a tad biased and uncontrolled in their attempts to be 'fair' in the past.

It does not remove the fact that Bungie reacted childishly on a comment which really wasn't insulting. If the comment is in any way coherent or factual in the first place. I'm sure you can agree that a team of professionals need not prove themselves otherwise with such comments or claims.

As for your screenshot post and statement that you would rather play Halo 3: Good for you. I would rather play the game with the better gameplay not the one which shines brightest. I'm not comparable to a Magpie. I prefer quality in situation over flash to the eye and a lack of reward in actuality.

Last edited: May 13, 2007
  2. Zapmaster

Zapmaster Sherlock Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 4870
    My point was that Bungie has a history of taking on more complex designs (and new I.P's) while Miyamoto doesn't, Myth being probably the first successful (game play wise) 3D RTS and a completely different game from Marathon. Both games were much deeper games than anything that has come from Miyamoto. It doesn't matter that markets are different, I am not arguing that Miyamato isn't good at what he does, but until he comes up with something more than simple games that play almost exactly the same as his older titles he shouldn't act like he has skills to produce what Bungie does. And if he actually had balls he would come up with a new intellectual property during the last decade, instead of sticking to the sure and safe Mario/Zelda umbrella.

3. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I actually thought what miyamoto said was really cocky of him.

4. Mogget

Mogget Member

GPU:
    TBA: 8800
    Well, I did say that reviews weren't the end-all, and I do agree that Gamespot isn't always brilliant, but my point was simply that I'd trust an in-depth review (from a major site who can't say complete BS for reputation reasons) slightly more than an opinion on a forum. ;)

I think Bungie took the comment the same way I and vbetts did. It's possible we're taking it out of context, but that's how it came across. Frankly Bungie is probably playing the crowd-pleaser a bit – after all that's very much their relationship with their fans. So yes, I agree that they didn't need to respond in that manner, but that's part of their public image of saying what's on their mind.

I do think that if Bungie took it the way I did, then they are justified in feeling angry. They put a phenomenal amount of effort into their games, and to have all that dismissed by someone who makes kids' Mario games (which haven't changed much since their conception) is a little galling.

Well, we're back at personal opinions here :). You're running entirely on the assumption that Halo has no gameplay value and is merely shiny.

I (personally, just an opinion ;)) think the opposite. Halo has never really been about graphics (it hardly has dx10 gfx does it?), rather much more about tight, fast-paced gameplay overlaid by a well-orchestrated story. I fail to see the lasting reward of mario games... While I won't deny their quality of gameplay, to me that seems all they can boast. Kinda like a complex Pac Man: pure fun while playing, but superficial in all other respects.

5. WCASD

WCASD Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS
    Who the fcuk cares, both comments are uncalled for.

6. LeonKennedy123

LeonKennedy123 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon X1950PRO 256mb
    I think everyone is missing CTMan's Comment which is the truth.. Now Im not taking Nintendo's side, But it is clear that Mister Miyamoto did not say anything bad about Halo.. and Bungies Reaction is a bit drastic..

7. Shataan

Shataan Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4090ti
    Listen up. Halo was originally gonna come to you guys as a 3rd pov only game. i know this cause I had some nice arguments on their own forums with Bungies Nathan Bitnar, and he was dead determined that Halo was gonna be 3rd pov. Yet he could not give me even 1 good reason why Halo shouldn`t have an included 1st person view. I told him 3rd only would alienate a huge amount of potential buyers. His reactions showed he could have cared less. Bungie can do no wrong after all. It was staggering the amount of arrogance he portrayed. lol

Imho Halo as a 3rd pov only game would NOT have been anywhere near as popular as Halo with a 1st person view. As far as I know, Micro$oft when they got ahold of Halo as the killer app for the XBox, that is when Halo became a 1st person game. Smart move on M$ part.

In light of my dealings initially with Bitnar, I`d say Bungie was not as smart as they`d have peeps believe. I am glad for peeps who bought Halo, that they can experience the game in the 1st pov, but after playing it myself, for me, it really wasn`t that great a game. But damn that Gregorian Chant was cool. ;p

8. rouvio

rouvio Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780
    SURE, Miyamoto can not make 'Halo' style game. He was talking about the concept & gameplay.
    Mr. Miyamoto is not an idiot, he *knows* he can not make a game like Halo.

9. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    I know, Mario.

10. iamtheoneneo

iamtheoneneo Banned

GPU:
    Nvidia 8800GTS 640mb @ 576/1700
    i love the way people are going on about this like its a ****ing degree essay. pretty sad. all i know is that il be playing halo 3 when it comes out on 360 and il also be playing mario when it comes out on wii. both are great franchises in my opinion.

11. jazziam

jazziam Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 260GTX
    I agree with that, both a great franchises, but they are two completely different game style's.

It's like comparing an apple and a potato, one fruit one veg. completely different.

12. blue5

blue5 Banned

GPU:
    evga 9800GTX (685/1115)
    Miyamoto was wrong to name drop and say "oh, I could make Halo" and suggest actually listening to people's idead and opinon is not a great idea. He was a legend back in the day, but come on, its same mario every bloody time.

He talks about fun experiences, but mario is so repetitive its not funny. If he could actually create a new ip then he could talk about keeping the innovation ball rolling, but geez he just keeps creating more sucky Mario games.

Mario 64 was probably the last good mario game ever created.

13. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 / Vega56
    At least Nintendo is selling alot of Mario related games. Every Mario related game sells, even Super Mario Smash Football. I don't think that "Halo Kart Dash/DS" or "Halo Smash Football" would sell, not to mention "Halo Party 1-8". :approval:

Perhaps Miyamoto is planning a Mario FPS. :) I'd love to see "Super Mario FPS: Escape from Mushroomland"

Last edited: May 13, 2007
  14. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    Yes, Mario games are pretty much the same thing over and over, but the Halo franchise is recycled pap. Bungie were great back in the day, ground-breaking with the Marathon trilogy, and their initial ideas for Halo were mind-boggling. And then they went over to Microsoft.

Imo, not only did Bungie sell out once (by leaving the mac format and going to pc), but siding with Microsoft and then dropping the pc and turning out some pile of crap standard fps was the last straw. And it's only got worse.

True, the effort that goes into creating a game like Halo far exceeds that which goes into something like Mario, but Mario has decent gameplay.

I'd love to see Marathon 4, though only if it was made by someone other than Bungie tbh.

15. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    I may have made it seem that Halo was nothing but flash to the eye in my previous post - that was not however the inclination I was trying to imply. Rather, the screenshots posted showed little but visual difference rather than an end product.

I must admit however, that I'm not a big fan of First Person Shooters. The only real enjoyment I gained from the origional Halo was CTF in Blood Gulch. Which admittedly did take up large portions of my time. The main game however, seemed very much rehashed in the terms of gameplay. The story was solid enough, but not enough to make the game a polished gem.

Now I'm off to play more Dawn of War! I hope any differences we had on the subject are cleared up. It seems that we mostly got the wrong end of the stick in regard to what the other person was saying.

16. blue5

blue5 Banned

GPU:
    evga 9800GTX (685/1115)
    I agree to a point. Problem is, Bungie didn't come out first and say they could have created a better mario or that mario wasn't innovative. Miyamoto was just mouthing off to get attention by attacking another ip. At least halo is cross platform for the pc and xbox. it may take a while to port but unlike nintendo its being done.
    Miyamoto knows the rabid fanbase will run to his side so he can say crap and they will nod and say "yes". While mario was fun and innovative. Sonic series is alot more fun for me.

17. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    When Halo came out, no one worried or even knew anything about dx10.

18. Digitalmessiah

Digitalmessiah Active Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT 256mb
    well the thing with Halo is, it really only had 1 twist in the storyline, which was the Halo and the Flood.

Here me out:

Basically what it comes down to is Humans vs. Aliens, the age-old classic adventure story. Anyone can relate to that. That's why it's so popular with normal people, because it's like watching a Micheal Bay action flick. (overly satisfying and full of crap) But why not create something more, imo they could have made a more innovative plot, but like you said they did pretty much sell out.

halo 2 was a step backward, which imo basically killed the franchise for me, seeing they took out the fun parts of the game. (which was everything about the gameplay)

Btw, its not talent that goes into making Halo, it is about 100 developers overworked and probly overpayed to come up with something as good as halo 2 (which doesnt say much at all) or better.

I played the beta today and i must say there is a slight improvement in movement and weapons, but nothing groundbreaking. Its not even on my radar for a game to buy, maybe a rent but that's stretching it. boy i miss the old days of gaming ignorance, slamming warthogs together with my bros, can't even do that anymore.

19. Laykun

Laykun Guest

GPU:
    2 x EVGA GTX670 4GB
    One man pulls a string, thousands of people react. This was never about halo vs. Mario, it's to get people talking about Super mario galaxy before it's June 1st release in europe.

20. Mogget

Mogget Member

GPU:
    TBA: 8800
    No hard feelings, sorry if I came across as a bit aggressive :p

Enjoy your Dawn of War! (one of my favourite strategy games btw :))