Computer To Component HDTV

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by EzBake, Apr 22, 2007.

1. EzBake

EzBake New Member

GPU:
    eVGA 8800 GTX
    I got an Nvidia 8800 GTX with DVI output port.

My HDTV only supports S-video and component input signals.

I used to own an ATI 9800 pro that allowed me to output my DVI to component with no problem.
    Like this: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10419&cs_id=1041901&p_id=2398&seq=1&format=2&style=
    But it doesn't work with my Nvidia 8800 GTX.

Now with Nvidia, I am forced to use the crappy S-video since the ATI DVI-Component adapter does not work.

Can anyone recommend a proper adapter to allow me to convert from DVI to Component with my Nvidia 8800 GTX?

TIA

2. FreakyNaughty

FreakyNaughty Active Member

GPU:
    Evga 8800GTX
  3. EzBake

EzBake New Member

GPU:
    eVGA 8800 GTX
    I saw many cables like that on ebay but they all say something like:

(*)The Cable does Not Support your Computer Monitor Video Port, or Y , Cr, Cb Video. Your Video Source Must Provide a YpbPr Component Video Signal form the DVI-I Video Ports to Use Cable

So I don't think that my videocard supports this.

4. greengiant

greengiant Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5770
    one of my nvidia cards came with something like this

http://www.scan.co.uk/images/products/220177.jpg

the other came with just a s-video cable, but it wasn't a standard s-video the plug on the other end looks like a s-video plug but it has more pins

look on the s-video cable that came with you card and see if one end has more pins if so you can probably use one of those breakout boxes

5. Look Alive

Look Alive New Member

It might be a driver issue. With my EVGA 7600gt I have to use forceware 84.37 drivers for my component out to work. My computer is connected using a component cables and an adapter that came with my card. i think i can go up to 84.56 without having the issue, but i havent tried those yet. The component out does not work when I use the current recommended drivers, which are 93.71, eventhough is says it does in it's release notes. So maybe the issue hasnt been resolved yet. Nvidia knows about the issue as seen here, http://www.nvidia.com/object/support_known_issues.html

Have you tried the latest drivers for your card? I think they're at 158.19 for XP and 101.09 for vista.

6. Dierdre

Dierdre Banned

GPU:
    Evga Geforce 7800GTX
    Id feel bad sending anything from a computer thats not DVI or HDMI or VGA. Component is really for video game systems and the like.

component can do up to 1080i and Svideo only up to 480i.

If you want 1080p you wont be able to do it (wich 99.9% means your TV is a 720HD TV not a 1080set)

if a adapter isnt working between dvi -- > component and it did with your ATI card, its probably a matter of drivers, or just some sort of incompatiblity with your TV.

7. homerpez

homerpez Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI 3650 / 4890
    My 8800 GTS came with a similar dongle to that pictured earlier, which offers a connection to Component out...

However right now, I have a straight-up DVI - HDMI cable going, which I purchased from Newegg. Even the cheapy ($20-$30) does the job for me, but if you need component out, it's probably the dongle which may have come with your card... or nothing.

Sometimes (I'd guess... usually?) the dongle that comes with your video card is proprietary to your card... so if you don't have one... I don't know what you'd do.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2007
  8. greengiant

greengiant Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5770
    @homerpez, he said his TV doesn't have hdmi

I did a search and some 8800s come with that same dongle I posted earlier, and I found a picture and it has the same connector

[​IMG]

I found that the input is called the 9-pin mini-DIN and it is the standard connector for video out and vivo on video cards(apparently nvidia and ati use the same connector)

you can even find pin-outs and schematics online if you wanted to make your own custom cables

if you have to but one I would say get an nvidia one just to be safe, but they are all over ebay, and the like, for $2-10

9. homerpez

homerpez Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI 3650 / 4890
    greengiant, I stand corrected... I assumed because every one I had looked totally different, that they were...

learn something new every day... :cops:

10. skobar

skobar Guest

GPU:
    Evga 8800 GTS 640mb