Auzentech X-Meridian Discussion Thread Part 2

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by WildStyle, Jan 22, 2007.

1. <><

<>< Member

GPU:
    eVGA 8800GTS
    apology accepted :)

exactly, which is what you did when I was talking about the built-in crossover of the z5500's (which is set at 150 i believe), which you cannot bypass/turn off, so there is really no need for bass management for those speakers. I guess you didn't understand or know :(

Haven't had that problem yet.

Your Pioneer has bass management for multichannel input? What model # do you have? Majority of receivers do not handle bass management (or anything except level trimming for that matter) over multichannel.

What are you talking about? Why would I try a 60Hz crossover when my speakers are rated down to 80Hz...thus my 100Hz crossover. Like I said, while running low frequency sweep through my speakers using flexbass, the tone is dropped whenever it reaches the front right and left surround in AVIA, even when I have the crossover set at 100Hz. It's a bug in the drivers...it doesn't happen when I use WMP11, turn off flexbass in the drivers, and use purevideo for bass management.

Don't forget to list the model number of your pio, i wanna check it out.

2. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    @clonalvex
    Make sure you have no effects turned on. You can get the 7.1 virtual speaker to rotate and do other things and this could make the sound come from differnt speakers. Make sure nothing is BLUE. When a button is blue it's enabled.
    Let me know if this helps, it is the only thing I can think of that could do what your saying. if not give more info please.

@<><, I was talking to the other guy and you posted all that betweent the posts. This is NOT for you...

Last edited: Apr 14, 2007
  3. <><

<>< Member

GPU:
    eVGA 8800GTS
    ROB,
    nothing is turned on (blue), no dsp or effects or anything is applied...its a driver bug, since it works perfectly when using WMP11 and purevideo's audio bass management and flexbass is off...
    also, fmzip (i think thats his username) from avsforum also got the same results as me when testing, and he was using vista..my results were on xp, so the bug/issue is still present in vista drivers.

I don't know if you guys understand what the test is doing, but here it is in a nutshell for those reading who are a little confused:

What the Low Frequency Pass does is sends Low Frequencies to all your speakers (obviously speakers have to be set to small for this to work) and if your bass management/crossover is working correctly, it should pass those low frequencies off to your sub.

What is happening with flexbass is that whenever the test reaches the front right speaker or left surround speaker, a SHARP level drop happens and no sound is heard from the subwoofer. Again, only on the front right and left surround this happens.
    I tested this again using WMP11 this time and purevideo's audio bass management instead of flexbass, and everything worked fine.
    For those wondering why don't i just use purevideo's bass management all the time...well purevideo is nvidia's mpeg2 technology so unless all im doing is watching regular DVD's, it doesn't have much function.

:D

4. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    offtopic- I edited the .ini for one of the drivers files in the cmedia drivers to auto detect the razer card , then I notice auzentech drivers has a new installer.

So I took the installer exe from there driver and pop it in with the drivers that i had edited the .ini. Now you dont have to do a manully install. you can just install it with the installer and it installs. should make it easier for those that cant understand the manaully install in the guide thread i made for vista x64.

I found a place to upload them there are here. ModdedBetarX64-easierway is the name of the drivers.
    http://hosted.filefront.com/genclaymore/

5. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    THX, for the heads up. :)

6. Spezzy

Spezzy Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 7800GTX 256 525/1400

I'm using a VSX-1015TX. I'm also using toslink for output from my computer.

7. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Spezzy, have you tried analog interconnects to your system from the X-Meridian. Guys have been finding that the DAC on the X-meridian is better quality then the digital spdif recevier on alot of receviers so they find they get better sound when using analog as opposed to optical or Coax.
    A few guys have found this in this forum as well. Might be something to consider.

8. N0sferatU

N0sferatU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ultra
    yea I'd be one of those members. I'm running a Denon AVR series receiver at the moment. Analog > Digital. :)

9. clonalvex

clonalvex New Member

GPU:
    eVGA 7800 GTX 512
    For this instance it was a new installation. I had run the uninstall for the X-Fi drivers and limited version of its install options. After removing the sound card from the system I used Driver Cleaner and CCleaner to get any remaining installation and driver related files.

After installing the X-Meridian I used the current driver installation (5_12_1_8_17_8) from the Auzentech site. Which is the modified version of the C-Media drivers if I am not mistaken.

With the new installation effects and additional settings were already disabled. The only initial change I made was to select the six channel option. I then clicked the speaker cycle test on the same page. The first time it cycled through the speakers correctly. I then began clicking the individual speakers to hear if the volume was balanced between all of them for where they were positioned.

During the individual speaker tests, to my dismay, I was hearing the audio at times from a random position. For example when I clicked the left front channel I would usually hear it from the correct speaker, but at random times I would here it from the center, right front, sub woofer, right side and even the left side. This was the same for each other channel, I would randomly hear it from another speaker position.

I tried the cycle test again (going from left front to left side clockwise), for a sequence of times it consistently produced the following results.

Left front - Sub woofer
    Center - Right Side
    Right Front - Left Side
    Sub woofer - Left front
    Right Side - Center
    Left Side - Right Front

*EDIT: I just realized this pattern also depicts as you stated a rotation of the channels. Though how and why this is occurring with the 7.1 Virtual Speaker disabled I can not figure out.

Interestingly this pattern shows that each speaker produced sound in the opposite of the others result.

I have performed other extensive troubleshooting methods, using the C-Media drivers and switching PCI slots. Even testing with two and eight channel settings the audio tests are randomly heard from a random speaker position. I have also used the other audio sample tests provided with the driver installation and they also produce audio from random positions.

The affects of this problem are very awkward in other programs. For movies and other video watching, certain speakers would sometimes receive no audio and others would receive the wrong channel. In games even with EAX disabled in their options, sounds would seem distant or muffled and be heard from incorrect channels.

I have also tested the digital output, although far more rare, it does on occasion produce audio from the wrong channel. I have also had one anomalous experience where every sound produced an extended echo, like that of karaoke but that option was disabled.

I have not experienced anything this chaotic before with either the on-board sound or the X-Fi.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2007
  10. Spezzy

Spezzy Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 7800GTX 256 525/1400
    Once I get a new reciever (Hoping to save for a Denon 5805) as soon as I have some more money.

11. alg7_munif

alg7_munif Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 X2
    This is the first time I've heard of such problem with an Oxygen HD card. Maybe you got a faulty card but I doubt it. I am using two sound card, X-Meridian and X-Fi together without any problem at all. You should try the card on another system, if it doesn't give the same problem I think your Windows is already corrupted.

12. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Well the X-meridian does have that one speaker test that music comes for all channels at different times. is it music or location ID? "front -Left"?
    If you look at the pattern you found it;s almost as if the wires are not connected to the proper jacks. Very interesting issue. Try the card in another machine. If not then it is possible you need a RMA. very strange indeed.
    Did you check your connection against the book? -if your using a 5.1 speaker system the rears channel connect to the side channels out on the card. I did something that makde me have the exact same symptoms as you. I opened the virtual speaker turn the speakers cloackwise stopped it and when I did a speaker test everything was WRONG. Go into the 7.1 speaker shifter page and see if the speaker position looks off -if it does hit reset. Works for me. This may possibly be your problem. HIt the reset button anyway.
    Check the speaker positions again. Let us know. Also, you can set that speaker shifter to auto rotate and leave the driver and the channels will still rotate. this will give me a constantly rotating speaker pattern...when watching movies gaming etc.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2007
  13. Coolchris

Coolchris Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 512mb GForce 8800GT
    This might sound daft, but have you made sure you have connected the speakers correctly into the corresponding outputs of the card? Is the speaker wire pos and neg not touching?

14. Coolchris

Coolchris Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 512mb GForce 8800GT
    Aggh..now it looks like I did not read what u put Rob..U edited your post! LOL.

15. clonalvex

clonalvex New Member

GPU:
    eVGA 7800 GTX 512
    -alg7_munif
    -ROBSCIX
    -Coolchris

When I find some extra time to open up one of my other computers, I will try the card out in that system.

The wires are connected correctly for 5.1, where the rear speakers (as in where they are actually positioned in my room) are connected to the side out. When the driver control panel is set to eight channel, for the most part clicking the rear speakers produces no sound, but then as has been the case with the other channels it randomly is heard from another speaker.

As for the virtual speaker even with it enabled and reset to its default rotation and positioning, there are still random occurrences where the sound is not produced from the desired speaker.

Hmm, well now that I think about it, before I get lost in troubleshooting it any further with this computer, I will install it in another. Which will hopefully either point to a malfunctioning card or at least give me a better direction to test from (i.e., a clean install of windows on my troubled system).

It will probably take a bit more time to set this testing scenario up, so I will post my results when ever I finish.

Thanks.

16. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    For those people who haven't heard Auzentech is releasing a new card with the X-fi DSP processor at the heart of the card.
    http://www.auzentech.com/site/company/press.php

If the X-Meridian is any indication of the quality of the new card I think were gonna have a new heavy weight in the line up.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2007
  17. Coolchris

Coolchris Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 512mb GForce 8800GT
    Yahoooo! Its a buy from me..solves all my probs with Vista and dual soundcards. I would imagine the opamps are still swappable, so this is fantastic. slavver, slavver...
    Hmm, just wondering if it will have the front panel like the xfi..now that would be something else. No messing around the back of the pc..:banana:

Last edited: Apr 17, 2007
  18. <><

<>< Member

GPU:
    eVGA 8800GTS
    :rolleyes:

you realize we've been talking about multichannel in (analog) all the time right...sigh...useless

19. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    He can be using both....

20. Coolchris

Coolchris Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 512mb GForce 8800GT
    Erm..what exactly is your problem mate? No need for all this fkin sarcasm. This forum is to help people not to bitch and go off on some ego trip. If you cant say anything constructive, piss off.