connect 2 screens to one 8800 GTX????

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by fredhard, Apr 16, 2007.

1. fredhard

fredhard New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 8800 GTX 768
    Hi,

why are the setting for dual displays gone in the latest drivers (97.94, 101.02)? The only way to use both screens is to enable a crappy "extend horizontally" option in the tray-meny, Nview is gone. I would of course much rather like to be able to use the old way, to set any resolution i want on the 2 separate displays, now i cant. Is there a way to get the old "Control Panel", and the old "Settings" in "Display Properties", showing 2 displays again and still use a 8800 GTX card? Any Driver that can support the above with a 8800 GTX would be great. Extending the desktop to 2560 by 1024 is very crappy, because dialogs and menues comes up in the middle and everything is very anoying.

Why why why Nvidia??? People still has dual screens connected you know...

Please help

2. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    original cp:
    open regedit (start menu-->run...-->regedit), use the left menu window to navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\NvCplApi\Policies

and edit the values so they are the same as the following:

"ContextUIPolicy"=dword:00000001
    "TaskbarUIPolicy"=dword:00000002
    "CplGroupUIPolicy"=dword:00000003
    "SedonaDisable"=dword:00000000

3. fredhard

fredhard New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 8800 GTX 768
    Anyone out there having 2 displys connected to a 8800gtx? please tell me if you have been able to get them to work with 2 different resolutions and still have the ability to move windows and folders and stuff between the 2 desktops, that would prove that you have installed something that i want :).

/Fred

4. fredhard

fredhard New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 8800 GTX 768

yep, done this and got it to work before my thread, but this dosent solve the separate screens issue, i still cant get anything else but "Expand horisonatally" and that means no way to get different resoulutions on my displays and also this means that i can only have a 2560x1024 res, and that sucks, i need 2 different display settings, as in the old days.

5. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    hmmm haven't tried dual displays on my gtx yet, I guess we just have to wait (and wait and wait) for nvidia to pull their finger out :frown:

6. fredhard

fredhard New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 8800 GTX 768
    its VERY strange that they release drivers for such a hiend card, and also that the card actually have 2 connections on the back... why?
    I would like to use my card with 2 different res and 2 displays as in the old days, is that to much to ask for?

7. tupelo20

tupelo20 Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX260 SSC in SLI
    Vista or XP?

I have got on Dell 150P4 and a ACER AL2051W connected to my Sparkle 8800GTX and have had no problems since driver 100.65 WHQL
    They are both on differrent resolutions the ACER is on 1680x1050 and the dell is on 1024x768.

I can move screens from one to another.
    But my guess is you stating driver numbers 94.xx & 101.2 that you're having the problem in XP rather then in Vista, am I correct?

I'm running Vista Ultimate X64.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2007
  8. chriscicc

chriscicc Member

GPU:
    XFX 8800GTX + XFX 6600GT
    I've been running two 20" 1680x1050 on the 8800GTX and a third on a 6600GT. I have never had a problem with that (except for an odd double mouse during bootup with drivers prior to 101.41. Have you used driver cleaner to do a complete wipe and reinstall? If that doesn't work are there any third party options that are overriding the OS?

9. fredhard

fredhard New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 8800 GTX 768
    ok, I use XP, anyone using Vista, dont reply, i need XP settings and drivers that do what i want :). Really, there must be a lot of people out there that has connected 2 screens to their 8800gtx card, and they must also be anoyed about the crappy superwide desktop instead of 2 different resolutions on separate screens, thats what i want anyway... Anyone?

/F

10. fredhard

fredhard New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 8800 GTX 768
    OK, i now got it to work finally. For all you guys that want the old way of connecting two displays, and also want to use the old CP, the solution is called:

158.14 - the new "leaked" driver.

This driver make everything go back to normal:
    - I get 2 diplays to show in the Display Properties, that can be set with
    different resolutions, wonderful
    - I get the old way of fiddling with the GPU settings
    - I get the old Nview dilaog, NO EXPAND HORIZONTALLY, real extend desktop.
    - I I get old way in the taskbar, the Nvidia Icon now show both my displays
    and the resolution for them.

SWEEEET!

11. roxpace

roxpace Member

GPU:
    nVidia / Geforce 8800 GTX / 768 Mb
    For anyone who is using the "offical" drivers there is a FIX to this DualView problem.

Go to Startmenu and choose Run (you have the run prompt directly in the menu in Vista). Write regedit and hit enter button.

Find all: DisableDualView
    Change the DWORD value to 0
    Remember to search through the entire registry and change them all.

I have no idea why nVidia has intentionally put DualView on disable, maybe there are some serious bug they can't handle ?