buying a 8800GTS

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by DOorDIE, Apr 15, 2007.

1. DOorDIE

DOorDIE Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX/GF 7900 GS (500/1.6)/256
    ok guyz i am gonna get a new card and i have the 8800GTS 320 MB XFX in mind ..... what do you say should i go for it or wait till ATI releases new cards and see if Nvidia is also in the mood to take out new cards ...

2. soul8103

soul8103 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8600M GT
    wait. Only 2 more weeks or so (not taking into account delays). If you cant get better for your money go with the gts :)

3. general_koffi

general_koffi Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD4870 512MB
    You might as well wait. There aren't any DirectX 10 games out yet, and if ATI can't release anything better than NVIDIA, there will always be price drops, the 8900 series and minor innovation by 3rd-party manufacturers.

Of course, the 8800 GTS is a great card, so you wouldn't be making a mistake by buying one now.

4. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    ATI is BS into market...infact BOTH of them...we dont have any DX10 comparison software but people r conflicting with each other ATI or NVIDIA....i ordered a 8800GT 640 because i NEED a VGA, not a DX10 VGA..but as i saw prizes r close to each other, i mean a 1900 high end card is much more expensive than 8800 640 MB so i ordered it for my usage...damn waiting.since years i waited and waited and waited..@ last i got the HIGH END @ the beginning..lol 6 months passed from first 8800 GTS 640?

5. DOorDIE

DOorDIE Member Guru

GPU:
    well the point of me posting this thread was to know if there would be price drops OR if ATI would for some reason beat Nvidia then Nvidia would introduce much powerful cards (ATI releases 65nm technology cards and Nvidia to counter it also gets out 65nm cards )that would make the current ones look Sh*T (no offense).... like the FX series thing when Nvidia took out the 6XXX series left the FX series in the shadows .. so i was thinking if there is a posibility that it would happen to the 8XXX series also ......

and the second thing is if ATI releases the new 2XXX series the prices of the 8XXX series would drop if ATI dosent get something good in the market so should i wait and see or jump into it ..... cause already our Graphic card hobby has cost us dearly when it somes to resale .. :D..... i agree with Mr. Big Time on the DX10 and price thing it is always good to save a few bucks :D...

6. macdaddy

macdaddy Guest

GPU:
    TITAN X
    wait n wait n wait ..... that will be never ending nvidia will have new cards coming out 89 series you might want to wait for that as well. What im saying is get what you can afford now as long as you are happy with it.

7. KiM6800GS

KiM6800GS Master Guru

there is no point in waiting, i mean we all know technology changes after 3months or so. just get the card you think you'll be happy with and be done with it. the only thing important in the end is your happiness and contentment and not other people's opinions and/or benchmarks.

8. Slam

Slam Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    Very well said. Tech changes so fast these days. If you simply keep "waiting" for the next thing to be released, you'll never get anything new. Bought my card 3 weeks ago. I was going to wait, but then I was like...what the hell. Bought it, and I love it.

9. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    same here.. +1 :smoke:

10. Classic Satch

Classic Satch Banned

GPU:
    2xEVGA GTX 260 216 SC
    Waitiing two more weeks won't kill you. ATI's lineup will be out and you can do some proper comparisons. You don't want to spend your money and find out very shortly thereafter that you could have gotten more for your money. If we were in the middle of a cycle, I'd say buy now. However, ATI's and Nvidia's entire roundup of cards will be doing battle here in just a few more days. Wait it out, you won't regret it.

11. soul8103

soul8103 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8600M GT
    Usually i would agree with u wholeheartedly. But 2 things i believe counter that argument completely. Firstly his 7900GS shouldnt be completely crap at the moment. It's still a v good DX9 card, and since we only have DX9 games i cant imagine his current card struggling 2 bad.

Secondly ATI release is like 1or2 weeks away. If it was 3 months away i would say hell yeah get the 8800GTS 320 mb since its at a great price point right now. However if i bought an 8800GTS 320mb today and then in a week or 2 the R600 came out and blew it away, or the price of the card hes thinking of getting drops 30quid or so i'd be kicking myself. Especially if i could havve a 8800 640mb GTS for the same price as what he would pay now for a 320mb version.

At the end of the day thats my opinion, but if you do buy your 8800 GTS 320mb, hey good luck right now its a great DX9 card :)

12. KCjoker

KCjoker Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 460/w LG 24 LCD
    You could just buy now and still protect yourself....buy and EVGA card. That way if/when ATI's new cards come out followed by Nvidia's you can use the step up program. This reason alone makes Nvidia cards(EVGA) better. There is a lot of talk that ATI is going to launch the 2900XT soon then in a month or so launch the 2900XTX. Those people that buy the XT are going to be awful ticked off that the XTX is released so soon after.

13. Classic Satch

Classic Satch Banned

GPU:
    2xEVGA GTX 260 216 SC
    What a load of fanboy nonsense. Some of you Nvidia lemmings never cease to amaze me. I buy whatever card offers the best price/performance ratio, regardless of make.

Also, those that buy the XT will be fully well aware that a XTX version is coming a bit later on. They will buy the XT because it is supposedly going to offer as good as or better performance than a 8800GTX for $399. The XTX will probably crush any card in existence when it comes out, key word being probably, but it will also cost $100-150 more.

Dude, grab a clue, please.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2007
  14. DOorDIE

DOorDIE Member Guru

GPU:
    well thnaks for your advice guyz ...Evga is not available here where I am ..... the conclusion i have come up with is that i would wait little longer and save more till ATI releases its cards that way i can get a better card ....this is what i think is sensible ... but again if i cant wait will get the 8800GTS :D...... hope ATI releases their stuff soon ....

15. Classic Satch

Classic Satch Banned

GPU:
    2xEVGA GTX 260 216 SC
    Smart man and good luck. Remember, patience is a virtue. :)