Can't disable VPU Recover or Catalyst A.I.?

Discussion in 'ATI Tray Tools Generic Discussion' started by Criftus, Mar 29, 2007.

1. Criftus

Criftus New Member

GPU:
    ATI RADEON X1600 PRO 512 MB PCI-E
    Hi everyone, just a simple question that's been bothering me for a little while. I can't disable VPU Recover or Catalyst A.I. I'm not having any problems with any of my games, no random restarts or display issues, but whenever I uncheck those little boxes and restart the PC, as soon as I come back they're up again!

I realize that I should have those two things enabled anyways, but the fact that I can't disable them is really bothering me. Any ideas?

Here are my system specs:
    OS: Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP2 (all updates installed)
    CPU: AMD Athlon 64 FX-60 (at stock)
    Motherboard: ASUS A8R-MVP (latest BIOS flashed)
    RAM: 1.5GB (2x512, 2x256) Kingston PC-3200 333Mhz Dual Channel DDR (at stock)
    Graphics: ATI RADEON X1600 512MB PCI-E (at stock)
    Monitor: NEC MultiSync LCD1770GX
    Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
    Hard Drive: WD Caviar SE 320GB SATA-II 7200 RPM
    CD/DVD Drive: LG HL-DT-ST DVDRAM
    (all of the latest drivers have been installed for all hardware)

2. Ray Adams

Ray Adams Guest

GPU:
    ATI HD6950
    Do you have CCC installed?

3. Criftus

Criftus New Member

GPU:
    No, just the 7.3 drivers. Is CCC needed in order to manage these two options?

4. Ray Adams

Ray Adams Guest

GPU:
    ATI HD6950
    No. I'm just asking. Some of options resets by Catalyst of CCC installed or if you enable CCC mode in ATT Advanced Tweaks

5. Criftus

Criftus New Member

GPU:
    Ah, that would be why then. I did enable CCC mode in ATT Advanced Tweaks. I haven't tried it yet, but disabling this will probably fix the issue. Thank you!

6. eyes.only

eyes.only Member

GPU:
    Sapphire X1900xt 256mb (685/774
    hmm, got 7.2 installed with CCC under vista, but the vpu recover option is not listed. Anyone can tell me where to find it, activate it?

Seems that when you activate or deactivate the option through ATT tools, nothing happens. (seems to be turned on again when you reopen the att tweaks screen.

7. Hymer

Hymer New Member

its under standard tweaks i think :)

8. theperfectdrugk

theperfectdrugk Member

GPU:
    ATI/GeCube HD 2600 XT
    im having the same problem eyes.only described. i untick 'vpu recover' under standard tweaks and apply it, and when i go back into standard tweaks its re-ticked.

i dont have ccc installed, neither do i have ccc mode enabled in advanced tweaks. a little help please? vpu recover is absolutely killing my system stability in 3d gaming.

9. Ray Adams

Ray Adams Guest

GPU:
    ATI HD6950
    2 theperfectdrugk - What OS do you have? I have checked it in WinXP - no problems.

10. theperfectdrugk

theperfectdrugk Member

GPU:
    ATI/GeCube HD 2600 XT
    eh...vista ultimate x64. so...the one with as many problems as possible. im currently running the ATT beta you put on skydrive, since i assumed that one would have the best vista support.

11. Ray Adams

Ray Adams Guest

GPU:
    ATI HD6950
    Ok. I will check it today. I have Vista64 on my home computer.

12. theperfectdrugk

theperfectdrugk Member

GPU:
    ATI/GeCube HD 2600 XT
    for what its worth, i just reformatted (i was having an impossible problem where my hd 2600 showed up as an x1950, but only in certain places within the device manager), and ATT worked fine before the reformat. kinda makes me think its an HD 2600 compatibility thing, since it worked ok when parts of my computer thought they had different hardware.

13. Ray Adams

Ray Adams Guest

GPU:
    ATI HD6950
    VPU Recover options doesn't related to the type of video board

14. theperfectdrugk

theperfectdrugk Member

GPU:
    ATI/GeCube HD 2600 XT
    well...then i have even less of an idea what happened than before. i cant even blame it on something you changed since the last beta build, or even on an older catalyst driver. both of those are the same dates/versions (4-29 on the att skydrive upload, and 8.4 on catalyst) as i had when it worked.

is there a way to disable vpu recover outside of ATT? like...disable a service of some kind, or rename a file so that it wont execute?

15. Ray Adams

Ray Adams Guest

GPU:
    ATI HD6950
    Vista (32/64) has its own functionality like VPU Recover. So even if you disable ATI's VPU recover, Windows itself will restart your video driver :)

16. theperfectdrugk

theperfectdrugk Member

GPU:
    ATI/GeCube HD 2600 XT
    could there be some kind of conflict between the two, then? i mean...if youve got two programs, services, whatever, trying to do the same thing at the same time, something bad is bound to happen. ive seen vistas gpu recovery thing in action...seems to be a lot more stable than any time vpu recover kicks in.

17. Ray Adams

Ray Adams Guest

GPU:
    ATI HD6950
    I don't think so. I have no information about ATI's VPU Recovery under Vista. May be it doesn't work at all :)

I agree.

18. theperfectdrugk

theperfectdrugk Member

GPU:
    ATI/GeCube HD 2600 XT
    grr...stupid vpu recover. ive never had this much trouble with games crashing, and vpu recover is the only difference.