XP - Bootvis Query

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Warwick, Apr 14, 2007.

1. Warwick

Warwick Master Guru

GPU:
    2*Leadtek PX6600gt tdh in SLI 560/1
    Howdy All.
    Got a drama with a clean install of XP Prof with Sp2 on a amd 2500 barton on Asrock Ks741SGX. Suffering from a slow boot. Have run Bootvis and have found a 40sec "Drive" period during which no action appears to be happening. Have removed the splash screen and logged the drivers and it appears to stop on the MUP.sys driver which I take means its hanging on the AMDK7.sys driver. This hang in the driver coincides with the 40 sec "drive " period.

Have tried removing all video cards and pci cards. Have checked all drive settings (master/slave) and cabling. Have tried a XP repair. Have tried running only one hard drive.
    Have done lots of googling and found several other people have come across a similar case of "drive" time. None of these cases report any solutions.

After the "drive" time ends and hard drives fire up again, the rest of the boot per bootvis is normal and fast. No probs experienced once XP booted.

Any suggestions on the "drive" time/ amdk7.sys driver hang would be appreciated.

What is exactly in the "drive" time. I have read it is everything from cpu to harddrive recognition.

Help! I have run out of ideas.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2007
  2. FNK

FNK Guest

GPU:
    XFX GTR 480 XXX
    Can you boot in safe mode and do a system restore.

Sometimes Bootvis doesn't work as expected.

It used to corrupt my Tvtuner Dll.

3. Warwick

Warwick Master Guru

GPU:
    The instal is only one day old. The problem started immediately after initial startup.

Yes I can boot into safe mode. But cannot see any benefit of system restore due to problem being present first boot.

Might try it anyway. You never know?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2007
  4. Watcher

Watcher Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX6700 XT
    Correct order to install your OS.

1) Install OS
    2) Install latest service pack [ NT platforms]
    3) Install motherboard chipset drivers
    4) Install latest version of DirectX
    5) Install video card drivers
    6) Install drivers for rest of hardware
    7) Install or activate a firewall before you connect to the internet
    8) Finish by visiting www.windowsupdate.com

Watcher

5. Warwick

Warwick Master Guru

GPU:
    Have tried the system restore. no joy.

The above order of install was followed other than direct x. Thanks for the suggestion.

This hang is prior to motherboard drivers etc. It is during windows loading its own drivers for things like ide drives, cpu, pci, agp etc.

Has anyone expienced a hang whilst windows is looking for its devices like cpu, harddrive????

6. omenofdoom

omenofdoom Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte mITX GTX 970
    Sp2 :-(

I have gotten through ungodly amounts of re-installing XP Pro on my machine also. This is a plague with SP2 and with Automatic Updates, if M$ wants every Tom, Dick, and Harry to use an efficient OS they need to clean up there act to keep the average public happy. I have used multiple OSes at work and at home, and have had more problems with XP than Ubuntu, SUSE, OSX. I have even called M$ tech support on this, they have out me on hold for the last 45 minutes, then hung up on me. Called back to complain about there piss poor customer support on there automated VM. So here's what I've come up with to resolve the mup.sys issue.

Option 1) With mup.sys, its a shame that M$ released to the public w/o a hot-fix wizard. There is a manual option which helps and I am passing this along to others that are getting plagued by this bs from M$. Run CHKDSK in the Windows Recovery Console. After that you will have to disable through the Windows Recovery Console with your XP disc. I typed in "disable mup" (without the quotes), confirmed to disable the file, restarted, and boot 30% faster than before.

Option 2) Also, what happens is mup.sys also will refer to USB devices such as external hdds, cameras, scanners, mouse/keyboard devices, so what I've done also that helps is to unplug anything USB if mup.sys hangs. This worked before I disabled mup.sys, being that I have a 10 yr old HP keyboard, and yes it does disable itself at the logon screen, so I have used a PS/2 dongle, and boom it worked. What happens is that there are so many USB devices that windows recognizes at boot up, that if something is shorted out such as a keyboard/mouse or a external hdd. Then mup.sys will not get a signal back, so somehow that it just hangs wondering where that device is. So disabling it worked for now. This is by far the 20th fresh install pertaining to XP with SP2 and Automatic Updates.

Option 3) Ok, if none of this works for you and it corrupt and beyond repair, do a Repair Install of Windows so that you an get Windows up and running and get a fresh mup.sys from the Windows CD or somewhere online. Search with RegEdit to see where to replace mup.sys.

Option 4) Final one, and if all fails, and if you are dumb enough not to have second option to back up, then you will have to do a complete Format with a fresh install of XP. DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT use Automatic Updates if you don't want to bother with mup.sys. For Ati users you can still get .NET Framework without SP2, just Google NET Framework Version 2.0 if you have problems installing the Catalyst Control Center.

If anyone else want to add to this please feel free.