How are you when it comes to graphics?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by LinkDrive, Apr 10, 2007.

1. Jelle Mees

Jelle Mees Banned

GPU:
    8800GT 512MB 684Mhz/1836Mhz/2088Mhz
    Screenshots were taken on my pc in the free full game "America's Army".

Couple of other screenshots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More screenshots can be found here:
    http://www.americasarmy.com/gallery/

Ingame gameplay movie can be found here ( how to play the map "SF SCAR" ):
    http://gamersmafia.com/storage/descargas/1/Delta_French_the_Great_offensive_high_(english).zip

Full game download:
    http://ftp.freenet.de/pub/4players/hosted/americasarmy/AAO_Full/armyops280_win.exe

Latest patch download:
    http://ftp.freenet.de/pub/4players/hosted/americasarmy/AAO_Updates/aao_patch_280to281.exe

This game will switch to Unreal 3 engine next year or 2009. Untill then, the upcoming updates will include new maps ( custom made with map editor ) and bugfixes.

Before you start downloading the full 2GB+ game. View the in-game movie so that you know what the gameplay is. The players in the movie aim badly to give it the "movie-feeling", but besides that, this movie is like a real game session.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2007
  2. jazziam

jazziam Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 260GTX
    I still pop in Diablo 2 and its expansion and play a little Black and White.
    Black and White 2 is a very enjoyable game. But heck i play my Dreamcast and i just can't get over how good Sonice Adventure is, i loved that game to bits, but it will never ever ever compare to the originals on the megadrive. :)

Gameplay is so important. Ive gotta get Guld Wars, i was hooked for days on that game :)

and getting your first headshot on CS 1.6 was just immense.

3. fallenx

fallenx Guest

GPU:
    Galaxy 8800GT
    I think "good graphics" is really highly subjective. Personally I feel that the "technical quality" is much more emphasized these days to the point of almost being somewhat detrimental to gaming as a whole. I tend to value the visual/design of a game much more, and so I consider games that have good graphics by that criterion as opposed to its technical merits.

Of course the visuals/design need to be suited for the game as well. For instance FEAR was a game I thought that not only had graphics from a technical aspect, but used it to achieve visuals that suited the game very well. So to me it was a very good game graphically.

While approaching photorealistic rendering is a a very impressive feat technically, is that good design choice for every game? Would Mario be better or worse off rendered photorealistically?

There are several issues that I think most people do not look at when making statements such as these however (that a game would've been better with x engine).

There is more to a game engine then just the 3D rendering component, so I do not think judging a game engine simply by that aspect is a fair assessment.

Even from a graphical point of view, differing game engines have different graphical requirements. For instance regarding the Doom 3 engine, one of the draw backs was its difficulty in rendering large outdoor areas, which they had to address with "megatexturing" for Enemy Territory Quake Wars. So while it was suited for the game the developers had in mind, would it have been (at that time) suited for say a game like STALKER, which does feature large outdoor areas?

Another situation that I have heard brought up more recently similiar to this is comparing the graphics in Company of Heroes to Supreme Commander, and specifically giving the advantage to Company of Heroes due to the greater detail on the individual unit models. But again, is that a fair assessment to make considering what the other design criteria for each game was.

The choice of a game engine also comes down to development reasons as well, and although this probaly tends to be the overlooked by the end user no doubt, it is a very important aspect for the developers to consider.

4. Jelle Mees

Jelle Mees Banned

GPU:
    Like I sad, the Doom 3 engine with some mods like megatexturing is one of the best engines I have ever seen.

Oblivion ans stalker both have the same rendering problem because the requirements in that game are much higher then Doom3 engine requirements.

The Quake Wars DEV's sad "Personally, I wouldn’t jump at something like DX10 card right now. Generally, if you were able to run DOOM 3 at decent framerates you will be able to play Enemy Territory: Quake Wars. Gamers should get better framerates than in Quake 4 thanks to the rewritten renderer."

Better framerates then Quake 4? Now that's A GOOD ENGINE!

I really doubt that Unreal Tournament 3 outdoors will look better then this:

[​IMG]

I am sure that everything we will see in UT3, is possible with the D3 engine.

5. llerenaprincipe

llerenaprincipe Ancient Guru

GPU:
    DIAMOND X1950XTX 512MB, 650/2000Mhz
    its not how it looks but how it plays :D

i can recall playing snez and ps1 games and having a great time
    graphics sucked bad then but i didnt care :dave:

6. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2

I'm not so sure you can compare those two consoles to your statement. You see, the PS1 was heavily relied upon due to it's 3d abilities. Very few games were released that were 2d. It's the reason that it beat out the Sega Saturn, which while having lackluster 3d capabilities, blew the PS1 out of the water when it came to 2d animation.

Graphics in games do not simply come down to 3d. There are far - far many other aspects. The Snes for example was primarily a 2d console. I still prefer the look of the better 2d games on it than many of the 3d games now. Graphics "suck" is too relative a term to be used with incomparable systems and graphical genres.

7. Jelle Mees

Jelle Mees Banned

GPU:
    Abe escape was a 2d game on the PS1 and it was beatifull :)

8. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Aye - as I said, it's a shame there weren't more released. It's nice to see some share my love of the 2d! :p The same stands for modern day with the hardon for 3d games. It makes me cry and drag out my saturn or sega-cd (Sonic CD is hands down the best Sonic game ever - and one of the best games ever ontop of that).

9. Jelle Mees

Jelle Mees Banned

GPU:
    The game I loved most in hole my life was Metal Gear Solid.
    After that it was Halo: Combad evolved.

I never really had a 2d game I REALLY loved playing.

At the moment:

#1 America's Army
    #2 All doom3 engine games
    #3 "Splinter Cell" games
    #4 All "flatout" games

10. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2

Now that is a shame! You should go retro my friend! The Metal Slug games are huge amounts of fun if you care to grab one. Though they are for consoles only to my knowledge.

11. Jelle Mees

Jelle Mees Banned

GPU:
    I have played many 2d games, but not a single one was addictive to me.
    I played Sonic, Alex the kid, batman, micheal jackson ( sega game where you had to dance to kill enemies ), etc...

12. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Well then - I suppose our tastes differ when it comes to style =p I love a lot of 3d games myself. But few are as memorable to me as good 2d games.

13. Vinnie

Vinnie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Apple M2 Pro
    Nah :) Ofcourse a good storyline is always a good point, I found the story of F.E.A.R. very good :) But the graphics also have to be up to date :)

14. simonknight

simonknight Maha Guru

GPU:
    BFG 7800GS OC AGP
    I'm all about the gameplay. Graphics come third, and story comes second. Because unless it's actually fun to play the game, I'm not going to follow the story, nor admire the graphics. FEAR, Doom3, and Quake 4 are the best examples of this for me right now. Those games just bored me to tears with how generic they felt. You do the same thing over and over, in levels that look exactly like the last level with almost no variety. Now take a game like Pirates!. Graphics are alright. Bare minimum storyline. But the gameplay is fantastic.

15. Ankit kukreti

Ankit kukreti Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA Geforce 7600 GT
    Yes, even I do not care too much about the graphics, these days most games are quite beautiful IMO. I think Far-Cry has great graphics and many other games. How much better can it look, may be it can :confused: :p but that is not most important for me.

Having said that I really like the level of detail. It add realism to the game eg: some racing games which look like a real car. Each and every detail including the cockpit. But it is no use if it does not play and handle the way it does in real life. Atmospheric effect: day/night effect rain, shadows etc do make games realistic so on that regard graphics are important too.

16. Food

Food Banned

GPU:
    MSI 8800GTX 768MB
    well for me the best game of all time is CIVILIZATION IV.
    it doesn't have FARCRY like graphics yet for me takes the n1 spot over any other game ever made only followed by "FAHRENHEIT" aka "Indigo Prophecy".

17. zigihammer

zigihammer Guest

GPU:
    GTX1060
    Old and cool:
    Ground Control 1
    Ground Control 2 is good, but not as good as 1st.

Today is the day!! 11.04.2007

Lineage 2 Interlude !!
    Lineage 2 revolution day...
    ...And nothing else matters;]

18. Makashi_Menace

Makashi_Menace Master Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 7600GT-TDH (256 DDR3)
    I still play Diablo 2 regularly.

One of my favorite games of all time is Star Wars: Tie-Fighter.

And I play Metal Slug games too.

So graphics isn't everything to me...

However, like someone mentioned earlier, it doesn't hurt to have nice graphics though. :)

19. lblrydr

lblrydr Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA Nvidia 8800GT 512MB 600/900
    Final Fantasy VII for PS1
    that about sums up how much i care abotu graphics
    except that i like FFX alot becuase the graphics are better and same again with FFXII
    and i love FEAR
    and i love its graphics
    i guess i have mixd views on it.

20. RaakaReiska

RaakaReiska Guest

GPU:
    eVGA Nvidia 8800GTS 512MB
    I play Nethack and sometimes other Hack clones like ADOM.

And sometimes I play also Master of Magic. Fantasy themed Civilization clone.