After stress testing for almost 10 hours...

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by ScoobyDooby, Apr 4, 2007.

1. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    It haulted, with Orthos.

Let me explain.. I've been trying to get my vcore down as low as it can each day for the last few days to see what the minimum vcore I would need is to keep my 3.2ghz oc stable..

my question is, could I look at this performance as acceptable enough? Or is any error at all, regardless of how long the system stresses for, an error, and does that then mean that the system is unstable??

Just because I would like to keep my system at these settings so that my temperatures stay lower.. I have a thing about my temps being much higher than 40c, and with a lower vcore, i can achieve that.

What do you all think?

2. Phalkon30

Phalkon30 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 6800 GT @ 420x1175 /water
    You may get different opinions on this matter, just to let you know.

If you have any error at all, then its something to keep an eye on in my opinion. Maybe every couple weeks you should stress the crap out of it and make sure its not faily faster and faster. It kind of depends on if you have valuable data on your computer, and if you think you'll ever have an extended gaming session that keeps your computer under load for a few hours at a time.

Personally I would bump it up one notch from failing and call it a day. Even on water cooling I don't load below 40c, I think its an extreme goal. I can understand wanting it below 50 or 60 though.

3. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    I know for a fact that if I bump my vcore up one notch in bios, it will be perfectly stable.. I know also that when I game, my system doesn't even come close to load that it does with orthos, so I'm not too worried about it..

I was more just wondering if you could consider this a more than half stable system or not since it went for as long as it did, and if there may be any other settings in bios that I could change aside from Vcore to make it more stable>?

4. Phalkon30

Phalkon30 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 6800 GT @ 420x1175 /water
    I don't have any experience with the C2D's, but I would assume they're similar to overclock. Your RAM/northbridge voltage may play a part in the stability.

Chances are you won't have a problem with that one error. But it may be good to keep it in the back of your mind in case you have issues in the future.

5. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    i wouldnt sweat it tbh.10hrs orthos is like a week of gaming non stop.i have yet to find anything that stresses my proc anywhere near as much as orthos.when i game my temps never exceed 43-45c no matter the amount of time i play.could be a hour or it could be 6hrs.with orthos it stays at 53-55c the whole time.my theory is if its 8hrs orthos stable its good to go.
    you could try upping the mch some but i really doubt it will do anything more than increase temps.it doesnt do diddly for me as far as stabilizing my oc :(

6. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    cool.. thanks for the advise, as always Maxfly. And thanks to you too Phalkon!

MAXFLY FOR PRESIDENTE!

7. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    :smoke:
    your killin me man! :)

8. JACK4HIRE

JACK4HIRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Mobility Radeon 5870
    I don't have any experience with c2d specifically however I do have experience with Orthos and O/Cing. I always try and get a CPU a 100% stable under Prime95 or Orthos but if it runs for hours on end before failing then that is good enough for gaming or everyday use IMO.

9. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    orthos should be run at priority 9 or 10

10. Chocolinx

Chocolinx Master Guru

GPU:
    ATi X1950 Pro 256MB
    For me if Orthos is to crash after only 10 hours I'd be pretty worried. I wouldn't call your system stable at all. For any system to be stable you should be able to run Orthos well over infinite number of hours without error. I usually run orthos 24 hours with a new setting. Reason being, having orthos run for 10 hours before an error doesn't equate to a week of non-stop gaming as stated by someone else here. It basically means your system has a chance of creating an error in calculation that could happen at any point and time.

By even having one error you risk having data loss, system crashes, and many other instabilities. Although it is entirely up to you if you feel you system is stable. This is just what I think. I just don't like seeing errors of any sort. :p

11. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    same here any errors and its not 100% stable

12. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    ^^ That's kinda what I was thinking actually as well, regarding the last two posts.

I have since raised my Vcore up one more notch since I know that at the settings I have now I'm 100% stable, no doubt.

I haven't had any crashes in Vista yet, aside from the stupid sleep/resume problems. It causes my system to lock almost every time! Other than that, I'm pretty confident that my system is running alright. Just wish I could get my temps down farther :p

13. Chocolinx

Chocolinx Master Guru

GPU:
    ATi X1950 Pro 256MB
    Since you have your clocks up at around 3.2, trying lowering your FSB by 10 and see how many more notches of voltage. Usually the clock per voltage is really bad. Like for me from 3.1 to 3.2 on my E6400 I have to increase my vCore by 3 notches before it's stable. For the extra 100 Mhz it's not worth it, in my case. Give it a try.

14. nutyo

nutyo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X HD5870
    I would personally keep the same setting as when you failed at 10hours. And do a stress test for once a week for five or six weeks and if it is failing at 10h +-1h every time then I would be happy. If it is failing progressively faster then I would bump up the voltage.