eXtreme Power Suplly Calculator update

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by mnemonik23, Oct 23, 2006.

1. MTL

MTL Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 7900GTO SLI
    This was supposed to be a community project and now you want to charge for it? Are you kidding me?

2. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    but they bought the parts for testing..(and theres still a free version anyway)

3. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 7600GS 256mb / Radeon 9550 32mb
    Unfortunately, that's the way things are blowing. Everest used to be free.
    Nice job shafting the community.

The project could easily be done in similar style to other collaborative projects. There's no need to charge for it since there's no need to personally buy anything.

4. MTL

MTL Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 7900GTO SLI
    Who cares if they bought the parts for testing? I buy ALL THE PSUs I use for my reviews and do you see me charging people to view them? No.

This is a cash grab and nothing else. To make matters worse, it is easier and better to post a message on a good forum and get 10 opinions that use that PSU calculator.

5. Copey

Copey Guest

GPU:
    960 2GB
    i would buy it if i gave decent readouts , i find its usually way off and a much lower wattage psu will run the system i type in , until it has more features and is very accurate im wont be purchasing it

although i think that if you charge a very small amount for the pro version

i applaud what your doing , but program needs to be better

6. Trenchdog73

Trenchdog73 Guest

GPU:
    2x 290x Tri-x
    well according to that with my current setup i need 996w but i run the psu on the left so go figure

7. momomo67890

momomo67890 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    285gtx/4750
    lol 1k watts here on 850 watt :)

8. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    I've only used that calculator a few times and then it was only to see what it gave for an individual component, not for a complete system. It's no secret that it's always recommended higher than it really should but I didn't mind using it and taking it with a grain of salt....but paying for it when it's not accurate? no way.

9. tr4l1975

tr4l1975 Guest

GPU:
    sapphire RX480 8GB OC
    not accurate, and I can find my amp needs here for free, why pay?

10. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    so whats the diff between the High end and regular desktop for the mobo drop down menu? what makes a mobo fall under the high-end/regular?

11. mnemonik23

mnemonik23 Member

GPU:
    7950 GX2
    Community project... where was a community when we needed help during these 2 years to put everything together? Countless posts on different forums with requests to help with any info and just maybe a few responses…

All we get is "not accurate", "useless", etc., etc. What did you do to make it accurate if this is a community project? Nada. Only talks how bad it is...

More comment samples:

"more watts than on my watt-a-meter" - of course more! Select 85% as System Load and you will get what you see on those "System Load" reviews. But nobody cares about current surge, about all components running at 100%.

"Your calculator shows XXXXX CPU with 85W at load but this XXXXX review says only 60W! Your calculator sucks". Well, let Intel or AMD know about it because they come up with their TDP and I use what they provide us with. Or you want me to load test all 700+ CPUs that we have? Same here, use 85% of TDP and you will be fine.

If you guys so knowledgeable, you have all the adjustments available in the calculator to come up with a realistic number. No motherboards and CPUs come pre overcklocked from the manufacturer - you do it yourself trough the settings and adjustments but you want us to show you the magic number that only works for you and similar to the watt-a-meter results and has a cherry on top. Ok, maybe no cherry :)

What about appreciation? Do we deserve any appreciation after all these years? I know that people's nature is to have everything for free. Heck, I'd like to use some tool for free, why not? Why pay $1.95, which after transaction fees and taxes comes to a $1 (less than a :coffee2: of freaking cheapest coffe), if you can wait till another suckers spend their time and come up with another free version.

I understand if we would discontinue our free version and made only Amps one available but it's still free, nothing has changed except it got better. In this case I would agree with everybody and accept your :puke3:

Btw, nice smile: :behead: I feel like it's my head :)

12. mnemonik23

mnemonik23 Member

GPU:
    7950 GX2
    definitely SLI ready, additional PCI Express x16 (operating at 8x or more) slot, of course other slower PCI Express slots, multiple RAID controllers, 6+ x Serial ATA 3.0Gb/s, maybe External Serial ATA support, of course High Definition Audio (with some features like Support Jack-Sensing, Enumeration, Multi-streaming , noise filter, Coaxial, optical S/PDIF out, DTS Connect, etc.), onboard LEDs with error code posts, 2x gigabit ethernet, bunch of USB and FireWire ports, chassis Intrusion connector, S/PDIF output connector, multi-language BIOS with good OC options, and bunch of cr@p on the mobo that you probably won't use anyway but it sucks more power than a regular mobo :)

EDIT: oh, and it costs like 2 regular ones :D

Last edited: Mar 29, 2007
  13. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    well lessee...I pay about 8 bucks a pound for french roast coffee beans and I brew one strong pot a day and get about 5 mugs of coffee with it and the pound lasts about a week. So that's roughly 23 cents a "cup".

And lessee I can find CPU TDP's here: http://users.erols.com/chare/elec.htm and GPU consumption here: http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/forums.asp?s=2&c=7&t=9354&p=0
    and if it's not an old Athlon CPU or an AGP card then I've got my main 12v power users and can add roughly 20-30W for each hard drive and 20W for each optical and 3-4W for each fan and that's about the only 12v consumers in a typical system configuration and my 3.3v and 5v consumptions aren't an issue . So divide all of the above by 12 and it works out to roughly "free".

Now if you did actually load test all 700 CPU's then yes it would be fair to charge for the info. That's why they say "it takes money to make money".

14. mnemonik23

mnemonik23 Member

GPU:
    7950 GX2
    well, if everybody else calculates like you (roughly), with no idea how much current and on which rails video card uses you will end up with more horrible results than in calculator. And "...and my 3.3v and 5v consumptions aren't an issue." - this is all wrong, it will be an issue (maybe not for you) but you gotta care about amps on 5V and 3.3V !

15. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    well CPU TDP is only a very rough way to estimate CPU power consumption and that's all the site and the other free PSU calculator sites do. I know what the typical rail distribution is for AGP cards too, I just didn't bother to mention it above. And I don't consider 3.3v or 5v amperages to be an issue because most any 250W unit, whether it's an old design or modern design, will have plenty of 3.3v capability for any system and 5v consumption won't be an issue unless I'm trying to power a whole lot of drives with a "small" PSU.

You aren't the first person in the world to charge for things that can be had for free and some do very well at it and I don't really care if you succeed or not...I just know that you won't be getting my money...I'm saving up for an espresso machine ;)

16. mnemonik23

mnemonik23 Member

GPU:
    7950 GX2
    That's a good one :)

17. mnemonik23

mnemonik23 Member

GPU:
    7950 GX2
    May 2, 2007 - eXtreme Power Supply Calculator Update

May 2, 2007

eXtreme Power Supply Calculator Update

The following changes were made:

Pro version:

Added recommended Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) rating.

Lite and Pro versions:

- added NVIDIA 8600 GTS graphics card
    - added Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6800 2930 MHz Kentsfield
    - added Ultra ChillTec Thermo Electric CPU Cooler.

eXtreme Power Supply Calculator

18. mnemonik23

mnemonik23 Member

GPU:
    7950 GX2
    eXtreme Power Supply Calculator Update - 5/22/2007

May 22, 2007

The following changes were made in Lite and Pro versions:

Video Cards

- added ATI Radeon HD 2900 XT
    - added NVIDIA GeForce 8800 Ultra
    - added NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX (626/2000)
    - added NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT
    - added NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT

CPUs

- added Intel Core 2 Duo E6650 2330 MHz Conroe
    - added Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2660 MHz Conroe
    - added Intel Itanium 2 9052 1600 MHz Montecito

19. mnemonik23

mnemonik23 Member

GPU:
    7950 GX2
    July 21, 2007

The following changes were made in Lite and Pro versions:

RAM:

- added DDR3 SDRAM

Drives:

- added DRAM and Flash SSDs (Solid State Drive)

Liquid cooling:

- added Gigabyte GBT Pump
    - added D-TEK DB-1 Pump
    - added D-TEK PT DDCT-01s Custom Delrin DDC Pump
    - added D-TEK DTC-D5 Vario Pump
    - added XSPC DC1000 Pump
    - added XSPC DC750 Pump
    - added XSPC X2O 400 Pump

20. mnemonik23

mnemonik23 Member

GPU: