New PSU

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by lblrydr, Mar 25, 2007.

1. lblrydr

lblrydr Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA Nvidia 8800GT 512MB 600/900
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16817148024
    Is this going to be a good power supply for running 5 80mm fans and 2 120's with a bunch of cold cathode lights and a 8800GTS 320 in the system i currently have?
    <----that system
    Or do you think my 450W 20A 12v XION will be able to handle it?
    Also is Apevia a good brand for PSU's?

2. kwak

kwak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 560 ti
    i cant find a review on that particular psu, but apevia was formerly known as aspire, and earned some nice nicknames like ass-pire and expire. i wouldnt trust it.
    here is a review from one aspire that does look a lot like the one you mentioned:
    http://www.jonnyguru.com/PSU/DarkSide/

3. lblrydr

lblrydr Master Guru

GPU:
  4. kwak

kwak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 560 ti

5. CTman

CTman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 6800 V9999
    For the same price you can get a much better power supply;

Also this Apevia aka Aspire is Solytech/Deer made; got poor quality components in it, but got a nice outside. Overrated and can not deliver the power that's stated on the sticker on the psu.

Maybe get this one instead if you want an affordable, but quite powerful power supply: Rosewill RP550-2 ATX 2.01 550W $54.99 at newegg;

lt's an ATNG Power (aka HORNG Power) built power supply and is alot reliable than the Solytech/Deer built units; there's 35 amps on the 12V and that's enough for a Geforce 8800GTS/GTX. But the fan in this power supply is not "silent" quiet.

If your budget permits consider the Powersupplies mentioned by Kwak: the Antec NeoHE 500W, a Seasonic built power supply, a good quality unit, with active pfc, high efficiency, very stable rails, modular design and very quiet and have 38 amps on the 12V. The Silverstone Element 500W is based on the Enhance power supplies and it have active pfc, high efficiency, stable rails and have 36 amps on the 12V. Both, the Antec and Silverstone are good enough for a Geforce 8800GTX.

EDIT

forgot to mention that the Apevia/Aspire Dark Side ATX-AS600W only got 25 amps on the 12V and that's not much for a 600 Watts rated psu!!!!! And it's not enough for a Geforce 8800gts 320MB for sure!!

Good luck!

Last edited: Mar 25, 2007
  6. Infested Nexus

Infested Nexus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon™ HD 8850M
    ....​

7. lblrydr

lblrydr Master Guru

GPU:
  8. Infested Nexus

GPU:
    AMD Radeon™ HD 8850M
  9. Infested Nexus

GPU:
    AMD Radeon™ HD 8850M
  10. MTL

MTL Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 7900GTO SLI
    Well, I agree with some of the suggestions above in addition I would have to add a few others like the FSP Blue Storm II 500W which is a great performer.

I have no idea what price the Blue Storm II goes for in the 'States but here in Canada it is consistently on sale for under the $100 mark. Then again, it is a pretty nasty color.

It just so happens that I just did a review / roundup of a number of 500W power supplies. The prices are in Canadian $ but the products are the same:

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/hardwarecanuck-reviews/695-skymtls-500w-sub-105-psu-roundup.html

11. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    Hey Sky :) been enjoying your reviews...good psu reviews are few and far between as you know. I did have a suggestion for you though and that is to do more then run Company of Heroes for the load testing such as Prime95 to really load the CPU and then work the drives by like defragging the hards and burn a CD with the optical and then run the game to bring the graphics load to the forefront...just a suggestion though for you to try and see if it shows the units working harder.

12. MTL

MTL Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 7900GTO SLI
    Done!!! Great idea Makalu, I will use that as my next "OC" test.

I have a pair of Solytech units as well as Mushkin's other units on their way as well. I will implement that new test for those.

13. MTL

MTL Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 7900GTO SLI
    Oh, and you may also want to know that the "OC" test is done with Orthos running in the background (I believe I mentioned that in my review) as well as overclocking the graphics card.

I will add the defrag and DVD burning to it as well. Or at least run HDtach or some such program on the HD at the same time.

14. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    oops yeah I do recall reading that you use Orthos for the OC test now...sorry I really should double check things before I post but I live in deepest-darkest Oregon and no broadband available and the phone lines are so crappy that 31k is the highest connection speed I can get and I get a little impatient with waiting for things to load here. But yeah just access the hard drives somehow couldn't hurt...maybe do an error scan with HDscan (not the quick scan) would be something that would keep them working for a long time.

The other day after reading your latest review I tried to find the Bluestorm II at fsp's website because I wanted to add it to the ratings sticky and I couldn't find it there. I noticed from your shot of the label that they use that questionable format with the 3.3v and 5v combined inside of the 12v combined instead of alongside like some of the other FSP made units do and was hoping to find the actual rating in a .pdf of the unit....anyway just chit chat...I'll try to find it again later since I think FSP has more than one website.

EDIT: opps HDtune I meant...it's freeware.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2007
  15. MTL

MTL Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 7900GTO SLI
    You won't find the Blue Storm II on FSP's webste. I looked high and low without finding anything. Maybe you will have more luck.

As for the combined output ratings, it is exactly like the OCZ GameXstream series. Basically, the +12V rails are capable of outputting the full 480W but any load from the +5V and +3.3V rails will deduct from that 480W value.

16. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    oh thanks...probably would just be a wild goose chase then to find it...kind of odd that they haven't posted the info...it's not all that new of a unit if my memory serves me correctly. The FSP Epsilons use that same labeling format but the .pdf file also lists the lower rating for the combined 12v's...and I think the label on the newer OCZGXS's lists it as well in very small print. I reckon the rating for the Bluestorm II is somewhere in the neighborhood of 36amps but I'd like to know for sure.

17. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080

what is the recommended 12v amperage for the 8800GTS/GTX? does the Amp requirement differ from the 320 and 640 versions?

18. CTman

CTman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 6800 V9999
    the 8800gts 320/640MB requires at least a powersupply with 26 amps on the 12V, while you need at least 28 amps on the 12V for OC-versions of these videocards;

For the 8800GTX you need at least 30 amps on the 12V. For OCed/Superclocked versions a power supply with 32 amps or more is recommended.

The mentioned requirements for the 8800gts/gtx are minimum requirements and more amps on the 12V than the minimum requirements are always welcome and is for a more stable pc system, the requirements is also depending how many "12V" devices/components you have installed in your pc system, e.g. case fans, harddrives, optical drives, the amount of physical processors/multi-cpu's etc.

an example:
    http://www.guru3d.com/article/content/422/7/
    source: GURU3D.COM; "Cebit 2007 Editorial"

Good luck!

Last edited: Mar 26, 2007
  19. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    these amps are the respective cards and what CPU?

cos having 26amps with an 8800GTS and an Athlon64 isnt the same as having 26amps with the same card but with a prescott right? (power usage wise that is)

20. kwak

kwak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 560 ti
    why haven't i made the link between you here and on jonnyguru before this post?