Sound Card Modding

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by ROBSCIX, Mar 18, 2007.

1. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    I have noticed a trend in a few forums. It is common for people to mod the X-Meridian soundcards but I should point out that alot of guys are modding the Creative X-fi's aswell. All these mods do is improve the sound of the cards.
    Recent Mods done to both cards are
    1/ Changing Opamps for better quality ones.
    2/ Removing the DC Blocking Caps from the signal paths.
    3/ Adding better quality Capacitors to the Power circuitry.
    4/ Adding Shielding to the soundcard to prevent interference from surrounding circuitry. I opened this thread so the modders can have a place to put their info and questions. This is not about any specific card but modding soundcards in general.

Here is a great read for guys with X-fi's and for people interested in modding soundcards. Most soundcards are designed the same for the most part so info on modding one is pertinent to others..
    http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?p=2779213

I have changed my opamps a few times on my X-Meridian BUT I am going to be adding Capacitors and sheilding medium to my card in the days to follow.
    I may also DC couple the card. Which involves bypassing the DC blocking caps on the card. All these mods should improve the quality of my card alot.

2. mr.popo

mr.popo Master Guru

GPU:
    CLub-3d 7600GT 256mb
    yeah,i already ordered the blackgate cap and 6 lm4562ma opms few days ago.
    i will post the results after the mod.

3. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Yes please do. Your gonna need steady hand to change out thos OPA's

4. Satan

Satan Guest

GPU:
    some
    Is there a guide to replacing the OPAmps on the X-Mer?

5. N0sferatU

N0sferatU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ultra
    no but it's beyond simple :)

Seriously just make sure you discharge the static electricity first (as you would do with anything).

Get a dull, thin kitchen knife and just slide it under the opamp on one side...gently pull it up a bit...then go to the other side and do the same. Keep doing it until it comes out. Now take the new opamp and slide it back in (pins may need to be slightly bent a bit but you can do that with your fingers).

Overall it takes only a few minutes and the best way to draw a similarity is removing and putting them in is like taking out and reinserting a Super Nintendo cartridge. :)

6. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    It is pretty simple actually. I htink the next Mod I am gonna do is change out the Power supply Cap. It should improve the dynamics and Bass response.
    I have a nice beefy Blackgate cap coming. They are a bit bigger so I think I am gonna have to hot glue it to the board.

7. nutyo

nutyo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X HD5870
    ROBSCIX on the X-Fi generally people are shorting the caps to the main opamp but are there any reasons for not shorting the caps leading to the other 3 opamps?

I was thinking of doing this and then replacing the rest of the caps with something just to get rid of the Jamicons.

8. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    What they are doing is shorting the caps on the outputs. This mod removes the DC blocking caps from the circuit, improving signal quality. The other opamps are probably for line_in etc. This mod is called DC coupling.