go 7800gtx problem...HELP!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Laptops & Notebooks' started by paradigm9, Mar 7, 2007.

1. paradigm9

paradigm9 Active Member

GPU:
    2 x 7800 gtx SLI
    i'm having constant heat problems with my laptop while playing intensive games. it's driving me nuts. for the most part i cant play anything for more than about 4 minutes before it throttles and my fps goes to 1-5.

it's the clevo d900k...fx60, 2gb, raid0, 7800gtx 256

ive tried different drivers, reseating, reapplications of arctic silver, laptop cooler, added fans etc, etc. ad nauseum...

it's out of warranty so it's $500 for the 7900 made with 90nm and better heat but i'm betting the problem is the thermal diode.

i want to move the thermal protection temps in the bios up about 10 degrees. my games run at 95 degrees. 105 is throttling temp....cant be right. i have the vid card area open with a giant external fan assisting air flow across the card with ICE blowing through it.

whats the easiest way to mod the bios and will it work? i know laptop manufacturers sometimes make things difficult to mod?

2. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    You do realize that any laptop that thick and with a desktop processor mean HEAT serious amounts of heat, i learnt this too from my laptop .

what i did is just simply raise the back slightly (with a pair of corks :p).

Try it, thats a safe temp btw.

3. ozzie

ozzie Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 770GTX
    how about opening the laptop and clean all the dust out of the copperheater? I have a go 7800gtx as well and I have to clean out the dust a few times a year to get it to work without going back to 10 fps.

4. paradigm9

paradigm9 Active Member

GPU:
    2 x 7800 gtx SLI
    ive done all of that...the laptop is currently on a laptop cooler with 3 fans and has the bottom of the laptop case removed where the vid card is. the fx60 and HD compartments are separated physically and their temperatures are both normal. surprisingly low actually for an fx60. ive repeatedly cleaned the copper..almost obsessively.

the 7800gtx is a separate card from the motherboard and now has a thermaltake external fan blowing air through the card itself...pulling air from an ice block. ive switched the fan to pull through only to make sure normal air movement wasnt altered.

even underclocking doesnt help which is why now i'm just going to change thermal protections. i think the thermal diode must be bad....there's no way it's operating without artifacts at 90 degrees and shutting down with ice blowing on it.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2007

5. aircool

GPU:
    Dont pull it apart, just grab some newer drivers.

6. paradigm9

paradigm9 Active Member

GPU:
    2 x 7800 gtx SLI
    thanks guys

7. aircool

GPU:
    Drivers worked?

8. JPennStar

JPennStar Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7970M
    OMG, that thing will make a desktop blush!

9. aircool

GPU:
    Its as big as one.

10. paradigm9

paradigm9 Active Member

GPU:
    2 x 7800 gtx SLI
    nah....i had already tried every driver on the planet. including some custom modded inf ones. i flashed the bios to alter the temp points but there's something overriding even the bios. once the temp hits a certain point it throttles.

weirdest thing is the low level rivatuner plugin monitors show no change in voltage, vid, or clock speed. but the second the threshold is hit FPS drops to 1-5 and temperature plummets very quickly.

i also modded the bios for undervolting and really accomplished very little heat tolerance gains. even undervolting AND severely underclocking doesnt alter the tolerance very much which pretty much guarentees it's the diode, but the douchebags at pro-star refuse to look at it without charging even more than just upgrading to the 7900.

i was pissed beyond belief now i'm just depressed. this was a desktop replacement and i gave all my old gear to my younger brother across the country. now it's useless for gaming....the fx60 rarely goes above 50 degrees under load and the RAID0 behaves as well.

just a ****ty video card and a ****ty company

i should post a pic of my "ghetto cooler" as the wife calls it. fans, duct tape, ice blocks, thermal pads and a bear holder all glued to a trash can lid. awesome! :thumbup: it looks worse than the boston aqua teen hunger force displays

Last edited: Mar 9, 2007

11. nm+

nm+ Don Cappuccino

GPU:
    old
    Not to be a jerk, but this is exactsly why i don't recommend desktop replacement notebooks with desktop processors.
    They generate a sh*t load of heat that cauises one of two things:
    Down clocking of the chips to protect damage
    damage such as de-sodering which causes issues such as these.
    I'm sorry this isn't wokring out for you.

What drivers are you using?

12. paradigm9

paradigm9 Active Member

GPU:
    2 x 7800 gtx SLI
    there's no heat problems with any components in this laptop other than a faulty 7800gtx

drivers are now 97.92

13. nm+

nm+ Don Cappuccino

GPU:
    old
    Yeah, but there's a good chance that the heat generated in tandem caused this issue.
    That said, have you tried the orginal OEM drivers? Yeah, old and my not work with everything, but you never know.
    The otherthing i might try is underclocking the GPU just a tad.

14. paradigm9

paradigm9 Active Member

GPU:
    2 x 7800 gtx SLI
    as i i said previously...the cpu and hd compartments are physically separated and ive not only underclocked the gpu slightly, ive underclocked the **** out of it and undervolted.

problem fixed...i found two people down the hall and a floor down with prostars and i swapped the cards. 7900 works great and a different 7800 works great. the person with the 7900 doesnt game so we swapped. now the fx60 is at 50 degrees gaming, and the 7900 is way cooler and operating as expected...oblivion maxed at 1600x1200 is smooth as glass. temps are amazingly cooler.

so it was a bad card for some reason only behaving bad whilst gaming...i'm still somewhat stunned at how the bios flashing went vs using low level tweaking. go cards are strange little beasts.