The Oblivion Thread

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by fajitasforme7, Jul 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roger_D25

Roger_D25 Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980Ti
    Thanks for the post Gromuhl, so are you saying that Qarls Distant Landscape Textures 4096 x 4096 compressed file shouldn't cause any problems with QTP3?

I was also wondering if you knew where I'm supposed to put those files from the Distand Landscape Textures 4096 x 4096 mod I just downloaded? I read the "README" and it says to put them,

C:Oblivion/Data/Textures/Landscapelod

The only problem is that I don't have the "landscapelod" folder, I only have one called "landscape"? There are other files that look very similar to the ones I just downloaded but I dont' want to put them in the wrong place! Thanks again!

2. basel

basel Master Guru

GPU:
    asus 580gtx 950/2200
    can i download all these stuff from a site other than fileplanet....cuz it turned out i need to pay to download where i dont have a visa card atm

3. Gromuhl'Djun

Gromuhl'Djun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070ti
    Create the directory yourself. And be sure to run the archive invalidator in OBMM (just in case you didn't knew you should :p)

@basel: read the top lines of that post :p You won't have to pay. You DO have to register as there aren't a lot of places where you can get some of those mods other than fileplanet.

4. Gromuhl'Djun

GPU:
    4070ti
    Please don't take this as an insult, as I made this for Damien666 a long time ago, but some people aren't reading what they should on fileplanet/planet elder scrolls (I admit, they could make it clearer, but then a lot of people won't be suckered in buying an account I guess)

[​IMG]

5. Roger_D25

Roger_D25 Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980Ti
    Thanks Gromuhl, much apprecaited! I was just going to try explaining the same thing about Fileplanet, although the free servers are a bit slower it still works and at a somewhat decent speed. I didn't realize this at first but since I have a direct2drive account I'm able to log into Fileplanet and use the faster servers! It's pretty awesome, pushing close to 500-1000kb/s!

Just to clarify Gromuhl, I should just make a folder called "landscapelod" in my Oblivion/Data/Textures directory? Last but not least, how do I go about using Oblivion Mod Manager to fix those textures before I put them into the directory? QTP3's mod had very detailed instructions which made invalidating those easy, but the instructions which come with the Distant Landscape Textures file are pretty bad, especialy for someone like myself who isn't an expter with this stuff. Infact it doesn't say anything about having to invalidate the texture files before extracking them?

6. Gromuhl'Djun

GPU:
    4070ti
    Yep, the texture files should be put directly in that directory. Use the method as described in QTP3, it's the same thing. Good luck! It should work :)

7. Roger_D25

Roger_D25 Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980Ti
    Now I'm starting to get the hang of it! I should probably run the Archive Invalidator everytime I install a mod or change the directory files. Well this ended up not being as hard as I thought it would be! Now all I have left to do is mod the sound, mod the weather, mod the balance of the game, mod the water, mod the NPC's, the characters clothing, upgrade the foliage, etc.. There is so much you can do with this game! Well I'm gonna fire the game up and see if I actually changed the LOD textures at all?

8. basel

basel Master Guru

GPU:
    asus 580gtx 950/2200
    guys im having this wierd thing.....when i bound helmet i get 5+fps anyone knows why....i just wish i can keep the helmet for 20 min least

9. PFX_79

PFX_79 Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 7800GTX 256mb
    Anyone know if theres a mod to point out "nearby creatures"? IE:You've either just been in a nasty fight or need to fast travel and can't because there's some @!#$! insignificant crab or other laughable animal thats somewhere around you. I guess what im looking for is either a mod that will tell the game to ignore them, or something that points out where they are so I dont have to spend 10-15 minutes looking for the stupid things...

10. Qarl666

Qarl666 Member

GPU:
    6800GT
    Few more TU3 shots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Ghz

Ghz Maha Guru

GPU:
    evga 6800ultra 256mb
    that looks awsome

12. basel

basel Master Guru

GPU:
    asus 580gtx 950/2200
    wat is tu3 again???

13. basel

basel Master Guru

GPU:
    asus 580gtx 950/2200
    is knights of the nine worth gettin....i mean does it offer long gamplay like 20 30 hours or somthin.

14. John Dolan

John Dolan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 780 SLI
    Its worth getting yes i enjoyed it.As for gameplay time id guess about same as it took you to do fighters guild if that helps.The disc also comes with other stuff on it like horse armour n wizards tower n mehrunes razor ect.

15. basel

basel Master Guru

GPU:
    asus 580gtx 950/2200

16. Roger_D25

Roger_D25 Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980Ti
    Basel,
    I'm not exaclty sure how you install that mod but usually after you extract them there is a "readme" file inside which should tell you how to install it. I only know this because I didn't know how to install any of the mods I downloaded until I read those files and also did some google searching! In anycase good luck!

Last edited: Mar 9, 2007
  17. basel

basel Master Guru

GPU:
    asus 580gtx 950/2200
    the proplem there is only one file!!!

18. Gromuhl'Djun

GPU:
    4070ti
    Put them in your data directory like all other .esp files and check them in the launcher like with any other mod (or OBMM if you want to, same difference)

19. Roger_D25

Roger_D25 Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980Ti
    Crap, didn't see your post Gromuhl before I posted my reply.

If you go and check your Oblivion game directoy (C:Oblivion/Data) you'll notice many folders there for various things. This is usually where you will put mods unless you use something like the Oblivion Mod Manager. I'm not exactly sure which folder your mod will go into but it might be intuitive after you look at what folders you have there.

For example some of the texture mods I had used got extracted to the C:Oblivion/Data folder. The only thing with texture mods though is that you need to run the Archive Invalidator or use BSA Patcher which makes the texture replacer mods work correclty with the game. I went and checked out the UniqueLandscapes mod but honestly couldn't find anythere there about installing teh darn thing? Let me know if you figure out how to install it!

By the way Gromuhl, do you use any balance mods to help out with NPC's. I've read alot about how the stock game can be quite difficult because many opponents are very hard to fight. Anyway there are some mods out there which help change the overall balance of the game not to make the game easier but just better balanced and more realistic. Now I realize there are many mods that help with this but I'm curious what you use (if any) and what do you think of it?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2007
  20. Gromuhl'Djun

GPU:
    4070ti
    Neh, the stock game isn't difficult. Too easy even imho (except if you turn up the difficulty, but this only gives your opponents more hitpoints and they hit harder) The OOO, francesco's mod or MMM (you'll read about them alot if you want altered monsters etc) only make the game harder at some places and easier at others; it's more random, you can come across whole groups of weak bandits of some strong ones for example, so the challenge is higher overall, but you can feel a sence of progression that you can beat your opponents easier (only there can be more of the weaker kind for example) the stock game makes creatures level with you, but this means they're always just strong enough not to pose a really serious threat which suck imho.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.