Vista Nvidia Game Compatability Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by gL1tch, Feb 2, 2007.

1. Sevores

Sevores Member

GPU:
    BFG 8800GTX OC
    Set it as deafult for internet. Start menu -> Deafult Programs
    Sadly, Flash doesn't support 64-bit browsers. (Yet)

2. JaxMacFL

JaxMacFL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4090 OC
    I originally purchased the retail vista business and sent off for the 64bit dvd for $9.95. Took a couple of weeks to get here. Installed over the 32 bit business. They both use the same product key which you have to furnish when ordering. Installed gtasa and patched it with no problem. Though I just finished playing it for about an hour and it did hiccup a couple of times, which it hadn't before. Don't know if that just the nature of the beast or the start of something worst. If thats as bad as it gets it will still be better than on xp pro.

drivers: 100.65 x16 AF x8AA 1920 x 1200 60 - 90 FPS

3. JaxMacFL

JaxMacFL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4090 OC
    Tried that. That offers only one ie and apparently thats the 64bit one. Tried setting default while 32 bit was running also. Adobe is just going to have to get with it. They've been working on it for several months now. Hopefully they're close.

4. RedStarSQD

RedStarSQD New Member

GPU:
    8800 g6ts 320mb
    day of defeat runs fine (vista 64)...heck i can even maime people now :)))

edit: then i just don't get why am like the only one who cant even get the patch for gta:SA to install let alone run. grr :)

5. Princess_Frosty

Princess_Frosty Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX580 Twin Frozr II
    I've started to notice a trend with the whole Vista frame rate complaint thing, and the more I look at it the more I'm convinced that some people are running rigs which are CPU limited, and when they switch to Vista (with it's higher CPU/RAM usage) they're suffering frame rate drops.

Look at these 2 consecuative posts right in this thread...

Coolit is running a very fast video card with a low end X2 chip which is overclocked to about the speed my old 64 4000+ processor was running, remember most games only use a single core. This is definately a CPU limited system.

Videocard: BFG 8800GTX OC & BFG Physx Accel
    Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ @ 2740Mhz WC

He/she reports

winterforge has a relatively slower GPU but has a fairly decent C2D chip in his PC, which means that he's most likely frame rate limited by his video card.

Videocard: eVGA 7600GT
    Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 (2.13GHz)

and reports

Incidently, I'm running (as you can probably see) a C2D chip at 3.0Ghz and a 7950GX2 and saw quite large increases with the new drivers (obviously because SLI was enabled), I know that this rig is going to be video card limited which is why I'm not seeing such a harsh drop in the performance in games when I moved to Vista. I get very similar results as winterforge in that my games run very well on Vista, for the most part.

My advice at the moment would be that anyone running a system thats CPU bottlenecked, should stick with the OS they have rather than moving to Vista, because it has that additional overhead, it has a lot more services which use up significantly more CPU time between them.

If you're on a computer that has a very good CPU and a relativly average GPU then you're going to be frame rate limited by the video card and the additional CPU hit of Vista shouldn't provide much of a problem, in fact with the more efficient DX9.0L with Vista you may even see a slight increase in performance (as seen in some benchmarks, most notably with ATI right now)

6. RedStarSQD

RedStarSQD New Member

GPU:
    8800 g6ts 320mb
    pirates! galactic civilizations II work wonderfully well

7. Datagg3

Datagg3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970 BE

Yeah brah..you need at least 2 gig for vista...... and by some chance it doesnt improve the gaming, vista will love it anyways. You cant lose.

FEAR 100.65
    HL2 100.65
    Dark Messiah of Might and Magic 100.65

Last edited: Mar 6, 2007
  8. Peandreo

Peandreo Active Member

GPU:
    BFG 8800 GTS 640 MB 570 / 1800
    DODS OK no problems
    test drive unlimited as to run as admnistrator mode but is ok
    Comand e conquer 3 demo OK
    Jade Empire OK

And for now is everytinhg ok......

9. RedStarSQD

RedStarSQD New Member

GPU:
    8800 g6ts 320mb
    finally discovered that second edition (of gta: san andreas)===version 2 and this is why i could not upgrade using the patch 1.01 suggested by my vista to solve compatibility problem.

the second edition just does not work :(

edit:I finally installed bf2 (dx9c and all) --took an age to remember my account info.

everything works ....EXCEPT, i can't assign new keys for the keyboard.
    Everytime i select a key to change ....there is a long pause and then the mouse moves to the middle of the screen. Plus, it does take awhile for the game to exit ...sound continues for awhile once get to desktop...followed by a couple screen refreshes after another pause.

:( unplayable if i can't reassign the keys.

edit 2: FarCry 1.4 works very well ...EXCEPT for the mouse mostly does not work. The buttons work...but you can't use the mouse to look around (turn).
    This makes the game unplayable with this patch version :(

I am starting to think my logitech driver for my laser g3 mouse...is not the best.

edit 3: thanks for that! Setting controls to default..did indeed get the mouse working :) I had forgotten how hard that game is 1 notch before the hardest difficulty.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2007
  10. Slient Bob

Slient Bob Master Guru

GPU:
    9800GX2 - 24" Dell 2408WFP
    For this Far Cry problem just go to control settings in Far Cry where you set the mouse settings and select default settings. You should be able to use the mouse to look around now!

11. JaxMacFL

JaxMacFL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4090 OC
    That mouse nag been around for awhile. Good news is Its a real easy one time fix whenever you do an install/reinstall. Just go to the options > controllers and click on (you should be able to use the mouse at the main menu) the 'set default' button, then click on apply and resume game. :>)

Oops, wasn't fast enough, lol!

12. Paul L

Paul L Guest

GPU:
    AMD 5700 8gb
    Wow after using the new ATITool to over clock in Vista I played Farcry v1.4 without HDR & I must say I'm impressed the way lighting plays across surfaces especially metallic objects, they're well just so much better & the bump mapping is also more refined imho.
    I will try the 101.41's later when I get home.

13. BBOwen

BBOwen New Member

GPU:
    nVidia 8800GTS
    Me too!!

14. Coolit

Coolit Guest

GPU:
    MSI 680GTX OC
    Hi just a little update to the above, firstly I'm defiantly CPU limited, I'm scoring just under 2000 points less in 3Dmark 06 than what I've seen this card do with a faster CPU (9250 pts atm).

I've discovered that the in game lag I was experiencing has been caused by a poorly supported wireless card and had nothing to do with the video hardware/software. After changing this card 99% of the lag issues across the board have vanished.

As far as the game performance goes, its been sub par up to the latest betas from Nvidia, 100.64 and 100.65 were terrible. An example of this would be CS : Source, with the for mentioned drivers, everything on full running at 1680x1050 I was getting 100fps in the video test, I've seen a massive performance boost with the latest driver, I now get 160fps which is more in line with what Id expect considering the settings.

Quake is also massively improved by these drivers as are the BF's.

So I'll revise the list as follows (everything on max, 101.41's ):-

DOD:Source - Good
    Lost Coast - Good
    CS:Source – Very Good
    TFC - Perfect
    Q4 - Good
    BF2 - Good
    BF2142 – Good (end of level crash bug)
    Enemy Territory - Perfect
    FEAR – Very Good

So the bottom line I think is, yeah I'm CPU limited but this shouldn't be a problem with decent drivers, the above revision is testament to this.

15. RedStarSQD

RedStarSQD New Member

GPU:
    8800 g6ts 320mb
    freespace 2 works fine ,,no issues (vista 64)

with the nvidia 101.41 beta drivers,,, can you just ignore advice to remove the old drivers first and install over? This is what i have always done. But, a bit of reading for vista shows there is a mixed opinion on whether or not you can just install over old drivers.

tia :)

edit: nvm: you absolutely do need to remove the old drivers first or you get performance issues across the board.

16. Unearthly

Unearthly Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 GTS 640mb
    I'm having some issues with Company of Heroes and my 8800 GTS. I'm getting this weird corruption that looks like there are really large (200-300 pixel tall) gray lines moving across the screen. This happens before and after patching the game, and with both 100.65 and 101.41. Anyone else have this problem or know a solution?

17. zed201

zed201 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 CLASSIFIED
    driver 101,41 vista 64 bit Uliimate clean install
    Falcon 4.0 allide force with patched to 1.0.1.0
    works great
    Hoyle card games 4 ( face maker dose not work )
    Hoyle casion 2003 works( face maker works)
    Ricochet lost worlds Recharger works
    links 2003 with newest patch works

18. linflas_taken

linflas_taken Member

GPU:
    2 X EVGA 8800GTX
    texture detail cannot be set to ultra, it must be set to high, known bug for Relic, they are attempting to fix it with the upcoming 1.6 patch with DX10 support :woot:

19. RedStarSQD

RedStarSQD New Member

GPU:
    8800 g6ts 320mb
    its been awhile

but i thought i would mention i got gta: san andreas (second edition) to work just fine on vista 64.

How? by following the advice of someone who said to reinstall the game and install it to the path it for some reason needed.

Except i messed up a lille and it still worked for some unknown reason

C:\user\rockstar games\gta san andreas\GTA San Andreas\

weird :)

20. Radom

Radom New Member

GPU:
    SLI 8800GTX
    vista ultima 32-bit with 101.41 drivers

eq2 -- new issue after live update 32, graphics texture not offloading, after 1 hr or so you will get out of memory error and game will terminate, some xp systems getting same error so maybe game issue not os

EvE Online -- works good now, would not run under 100.xx with aero glass on

WW2 Online -- will not run, program terminating itself on loading

Vanguard -- works but can't change AA in game (will reset itself) random crashes to desktop but was getting crashes under xp so not sure if vista related

2142 -- works good, have not seen any issues in that game yet

I'm still having random DSOD with 0x0000008e for tcipi.sys file (network related??) have ran memory check for 4 hr and all sticks are good. Have reset my network settings and have not experienced crash in few hours. Maybe its random or I have actually fixed it too early to tell.