Asus P5N-E SLI i650 Overclocking

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by OldNewGuy, Dec 25, 2006.

1. OldNewGuy

OldNewGuy Member

GPU:
    PNY 8800GT 512MB 675/1667/2000
    Yo dudes!!! I just got a fresh computer upgrade. I came from a 6800GT, 1GB DDR400 and a A64 3000+ newcastle to this:

e6300 1.86 @ 2.53

PNY 8800GTS @ 600/2200

2x 1GB PNY DDR2 667

Asus P5N-E SLI of course

OK. I got the CPU up to this speed very easy. All I did was do some reading to make sure I was not gonna over volt the CPU. After reading, I came to the conclusion that going from the stock 1.32V to 1.40V was the way to go. Thats what I did. I disabled the advanced CPU crap in the bios and set the bus at 1466. BAM! 2.56Ghz just like that!!!! Prime95 Stable!!!

I do have some questions though. I think I can get this thing to go faster, but I believe the NB is running out of voltage. I can ajust the NB voltage, but I do not know the stock voltage, so it seems kind of dangerous at this point.

1. Anyone know the stock voltage of a i650 chipset?

2. Back in the "day" motherboards did not lock the PCI bus and AGP bus speeds. They went up with the FSB speeds and that sucked. I got out before anything new came along. I was wondering if boards now are locking those PCI bus' and PCIe bus' down. Seems like it has to be because of my easy OC.

3. Anything else you fellas can think of that I can do to get some more cheap speed from this CPU/MB combo?

4. My PSU seems to be fine, but I guess I should ask if it is proper. It is a Enermax EG465P-VE. Compared to some PSU's with way more watts, mine sure seems to put out WAY MORE amps.....sticker says 33amps on the +12v rail.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817194011

I guess I should DL sandra and see what it tells me about the bus speeds....I have everest and it seems they stripped the shareware version down and it does not tell you the bus speeds and such in detail. Hmmmm...

Let's get technical!!!!

Last edited: Dec 25, 2006
  2. OldNewGuy

OldNewGuy Member

GPU:
    PNY 8800GT 512MB 675/1667/2000
    O, by the way. This PC is crazy fast compared to my last one. Oblivion never looked and ran so great. I have all options on and I run the game at 1600x1200. Even stock my pc plowed through that game like nothing! FANTASTIC!!!!

3. Gubb

Gubb Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX260 c216
  4. the_jerboa_king

the_jerboa_king Master Guru

GPU:
    9600GT
    hey man, just got this board myself with an E6300 as well :) so far I've got her up to 2600mhz, but it was only prime95 stable for about half an hour so I'm testing at 2555Mhz atm.

1. no idea what the stock voltage is i'm afraid

2. they started locking AGP/PCI bus speeds a couple of years ago and this one has it nicely locked down, there's even an independent option to overclock it on it's own!

3. what speed is the RAM running at? when you're uping the speeds have you left the RAM to auto or manually set it?

4. that PSU should be fine, I'm running my stuff on a 400W, but then I don't have the 8800GTS

5. NODO_GT

NODO_GT Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 6600GT APG 256MB OC-572/1038
    I'm thinking of building PC like yours.... i think I'll go whith E6400 and 8800GTS with 320MB i think.
    So is 650i good overclocker? What are your 3Dmark scorse wihtout any overclocking?

6. the_jerboa_king

the_jerboa_king Master Guru

GPU:
    9600GT
    yeah, the 650i seems to be pretty good so far, only had the board since Friday so haven't had the chance to push it too far. You can change the FSB and everything independently to pretty much any value (it automatically selects the divider). I've got a 360 FSB (1440mhz) and the RAM's at 264Mhz (about 533) atm. Also there's great voltage control on this board, I can't remember how small the increments are, I'll check later when I've let Prime95 run for a good few hours, but there a lot more options than most boards.

I've no idea what the stock benchies are :/ All i know is at 2.55Ghz I can get just under 25 seconds for superPI 1M. I've only been testing the system out to see if it's going to be my main system, and with how far it's overclocking it's going to be :)

That and the RAM ain't working quite right atm and it's only got a 6200 in not my 7600GT