ATI Driver 7.2 adds MOM.exe

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by erichx, Mar 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. erichx

erichx New Member

GPU:
    ATI X1300
    I contacted ATI/AMD about new ATI CATALYST 7.2 and told them mom.exe loads with software( This was a known Key Logger or tracking Virus). I scanned it with a few different Anti-Virus and a couple Spyware programs and nothing popped up. I hit it with Rootkit reveal also. Nothing on MOM.exe. I got a response from ATI telling me to revert back to 7.1 till they can figure it out. This is a liitle alarming. I thought people may want to know. I asked them to pull it! This was official response from ATI.

"Regarding the error 'mom.implementation' and 'CCC.implementation':

At the moment we are investigating the issue, Please revert back to Catalyst 7.1.

We will have a fix shortly" Notice they call it error!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2007
  2. Joey

Joey Guest

GPU:
    2600XT + Panasonic S10
    I think this might a keylogger. I have recently had £1500 worth of bogus credit card transactions on my credit card on the day I installed 7.2.
    Is there any more information on this. NOD32 has not caught it....
    I'm ****in pissed off

3. erichx

erichx New Member

GPU:
    ATI X1300
    Not Yet

I am still waiting for answers myself?! I can't imagine them letting this slip through! I tried everything to detect it and nothing came up. If it were not for there response I would think it is part of thier program. I do know it was a key logger a while back. I've asked them for a answer and I'll let you know:)

4. Netgamer

Netgamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6600LE 300/300
    thats whack, is the keylogger from someone at ATI/AMD?

5. erichx

erichx New Member

GPU:
    ATI X1300
    Looks like it

It's the only way it can happen.... I have to wait to hear from them but I still don't know how or if this is really the case! I do have the reply from them and it indicates they have a problem..... so let's see how they fix or spin this.

6. Armoured

Armoured Ancient Guru

how dare ATI do this...mother****ers!!

7. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    wait a second. I just installed 7.2 today. how do you find this mom.exe?

whoah!!! its right there in task manager! wtf?! anybody got an answer for this?!

its also this... http://www.mom.ru/Engl/Moredetails.htm

Last edited: Mar 2, 2007
  8. Portstevo

Portstevo Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GeForce 9800Gx2
    MOM.exe was in the 7.1 drivers for vista as well as 7.2

task manager is more descriptive under vista and it describes it as "Catalyst Control Center: Monitoring program"

so, it looks like it is definately been added by ATI/AMD

I am not sure if it is a keylogger like is suggested, I would more likely think it is just a program to monitor CCC and make sure it is working properly

9. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    erichx you bastard. you almost gave me a heart attack.

10. erichx

erichx New Member

GPU:
    ATI X1300
    Sorry For almost Heart Attack

This is what I told them and this is what they said. Like I said I have no Idea what it is. They didn't give me a reply on question! If it's part of the program that is wonderful"They could have picked a better name" If it is indeed something else,well what are you going to do? I copy and pasted from message I got from them below! I know that in past Mcafee has had ATI Drivers come up as a Virus, but was told always to ignore as it was a false/positive. CLI.exe is gone does MOM.exe take over for it?Does it help run Hotkeys?? They didn't tell me.. Read message then you tell me what to make of it.

Summary: MOM.exe
    Details: I installed new drivers for ATI X1300 the 7.2 drivers. I now notice MOM.exe running in my proc. CCC is also running can you explain what these are as I cannot find anything on them, accept that mom.exe has been known as a tracking device--Key logger... I attached a picture showing Proc.'s that are running.
    Thank You
    Attachment: 1(49).jpg

Solution
    Solved:
    (3/1/2007 11:31 AM EDT) Regarding the error 'mom.implementation' and 'CCC.implementation':

At the moment we are investigating the issue, Please revert back to Catalyst 7.1.

We will have a fix shortly

11. Portstevo

Portstevo Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GeForce 9800Gx2
    I guess their "fix" will be to rename the exe so it is not the same as a known keylogger

12. Freedom Eclipse

Freedom Eclipse Guest

GPU:
    2x MSI GTX 970
    well...its a good thing their 7.2s really f**ked my system up so im still running with 7.1s no MOM.exe detected.

13. erichx

erichx New Member

GPU:
    ATI X1300
    NO real answers...

Official response from ATI/AMD? Here it is:

Solution:
    Currently there is no solution.

ATI Engineering has been advised of this issue and is investigating. Any updates will be published when they become available.
    Customers who are experiencing this issue are advised to install Catalyst 7.1 for now

To ensure that you are notified of updates to this article, please register your product. Once the product has been registered and you have an ATI Customer Care account, please click "sign-in" in the top right hand corner to log into your account, and then click "subscribe to topic" on the right side of the article to be notified of updates to the article.

Well that's great! What is that all about. No solution to it is a problem or no solution to it is not a problem. Do what you guy's want. I guess revert to 7.1 unless you use Vista which there is not a answer. ATI does use 3rd party software so it is very possible that there is something going on!

14. Freedom Eclipse

Freedom Eclipse Guest

GPU:
    2x MSI GTX 970
    I think the situation here is that ATi have been caught with their hand in the cookie jar. im interested to see what cat 7.3's have to offer.

15. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    MOM.exe is located at C:\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static so I guess that you can remove it if you want but it is described as "Catalyst Control Center: Monitoring program". Go figure... I think that they didn't know that there are mom.exe called spyware so I think that AMD will rename it in 7.3.

16. Freedom Eclipse

Freedom Eclipse Guest

GPU:
    2x MSI GTX 970
    Just found out I have mom.exe running on my laptop which is running 7.2cats :( would anything happen if i deleted mom.exe?

17. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    You would loose "Catalyst Control Center: Monitoring program" I guess... (If it is what it is said to be).

18. Food

Food Banned

GPU:
    MSI 8800GTX 768MB
    [​IMG]

:D sticking to 7.1 best drivers ever.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2007
  19. llerenaprincipe

llerenaprincipe Ancient Guru

GPU:
    DIAMOND X1950XTX 512MB, 650/2000Mhz
    good thing i was too lazy to install the 7.2 drivers :D