Wierd problems with my 6800GT in Vista

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by tsot, Mar 1, 2007.

1. tsot

tsot Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800GT PCI-e 256MB
    Hey everyone,
    I seem to be having an odd problem with my GFX in Vista business edition. For some reson everything seems to be really jerky while in the OS, e.g. scolling up/down in a web browser is really jerky (like when you have no drivers installed). Also games seem to run alot worse than when i was in XP.

Here is the really wierd part. When i come out of a game, Vista runs smoothly!!! Could this be some sort of GFX sleep mode. My other specs are stated on the left. I was also wondering if i may have installed the chipset drivers wrong. Vista alsways seems to say "this prgram did not install properly" after trying to install them. I dont know how to tell! All i know is i get much much lower scores/performance than i used to get with 1GB of ram, an AMD64 3200 and the same gfx in XP!

Thnaks
    Tommy

2. DXX

DXX Master Guru

GPU:
    HD5850CF
    Which Driver u are using?Also keep in mind that vista is not very stable right now.Check you benchmark in xp you should get higher score than before.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2007
  3. tsot

tsot Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800GT PCI-e 256MB
    I am using the 100.65 vista 32bit drivers (the latest i think). I understand that vista wont run games as well as it uses more resources but i have doubled my ram and gone dual core since i upgraded to vista. It seems very stable, infact much more stable than xp(i.e. no crashes) just havin gfx truoble :(

4. tsot

tsot Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800GT PCI-e 256MB
    Also i got a score 0f 10,373 in 3dmark03 with this set up. Vista is still running jerky tho :(

5. DXX

DXX Master Guru

GPU:
    HD5850CF
    Try other driver besides 100.65.Try forceware 97.46.I think driver is creating you problem.

6. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    That 3dMark03 Score is low in my opinion.

I scored a 11258 with my old 6800nu w/ a XP3200+ and 1.5gig of value RAM

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=4686060

With your machine you should be blowing away my old score.

Something is wrong there.

7. FlawleZ

FlawleZ Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC2
    What clock speeds were you running on that test?

As LedHed suggested, that score is rather low. 10K is achievable on an overclocked 6600GT.

8. tsot

tsot Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800GT PCI-e 256MB
    There is def something wrong for sure, games run terrible, the graphics in windows are slow to loads and r jerky! I hope its not a faulty GFX card, as i did buy it on ebay. Worth mentioning also, it has a zalman aftermarket cooler but temps seem to be pretty stable.

The GPU clocks are stock:
    GPU core(3D) 350MHz
    Memory 1000Mhz
    according to nTune
    My cpu overclocked to 3.25GHz

nTune also says the GPU is running at 58c

DXX I tried that driver and got 10,394 so it cant be that.
    My CPU score was 395 which also seems low :(

9. tsot

tsot Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800GT PCI-e 256MB
    just treid a benchmark with the cpu at stock to rule that out, the score was the same. However it did give me a much higher cpu score of 1122 at stock compared to 395 overclocked! Strange as windows vista index score seems to think the cpu is faster with the overclock. Still no progress on whats wrong with my GFX tho.

10. tsot

tsot Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800GT PCI-e 256MB
    Ok i have put my CPU to stock and that fixed the problem of vista being jerky. Still gettin the same 3Dmark03 scores. So im guessing it must be a dud GFX card!

11. P4Power

P4Power Member Guru

GPU:
    2 x BFG 8800 GTX OC2 SLi
    Check and make sure you card isn't clocking down to really low 2d clocks. The card will remain in 3d mode for a few seconds after you exit a game and could account for the OS running smoother then. I doubt your card is faulty if you can run games without a problem.