8800GTS Performance

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Critical_Impact, Feb 24, 2007.

1. Critical_Impact

Critical_Impact Active Member

GPU:
    XFX 640MB 8800GTS @ 620/900
    Heres my Situation.
    In most games I get below average performance and in some games stuttering.
    Examples:

I start up Act of War, go into a map, and scroll around and the fps drops to like 1-5 while it loads stuff, but after that its like 60-70 fps.
    I run Oblivion, gets up to 60-70fps and has to load data(Queued count in tdt(debug console) goes up), it loads data, and fps returns to normal, the fps only drops maybe 10, but its noticable and the game sort of jerks when you look around.
    When playing Prey, it has lag spikes.
    Neverwinter Nights 2 gives me 30 fps on full detail(dunno if this is right.)
    X3 stutters a small amount when I move around and it has to render new objects.

Though, Company of Heroes runs perfect, and so does Call of Juarez with shadows off with no lag at all.

Specs are in sig.

I did 3dmark06 not too long ago and got somewhere between 8000-9000

I have tried in both XP and Vista. XP does give slightly better framerates but the problems are still there. I have used the early drivers for Vista and 100.64 and 100.65. For XP i have used 97.44 and 97.92

Here is a short list of things that I have tried.

Tried with 1 stick of ram, then tried alternating sticks
    Different Graphics card(was doing it on my 7900GT sort of)
    New Powersupply
    Unplugged all my hard disks apart from my raptor and ran it from that
    Tweaked Oblivion(it seems to be a global thing and yes I have seen the oblivion tweak guide)
    Turned sound off(hardware and completly in affected games)
    Removed my X-Fi Completly
    My computer was originally set to 3.12ghz and my memory was at 700mhz instead of 800 but I fixed that and it is prime stable.
    I have tried setting my clocks back to normal as well.

Now what I'm trying to figure out, is which component is at fault, so I can either RMA it or replace it.

2. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I hear you bro , something its very wrong in your rig , have you try a fresh install of windows? might help. I hope you find whats wrong with it soon. Maybe some other gurus have more knowledge than me and can give you some advise.

3. Critical_Impact

GPU:
    I've reinstalled Vista twice and XP 3 times :p
    I might swap some components with my bros computer and see if I can determine which part it is.

4. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I wish you good luck.

5. Daemon785

Daemon785 Master Guru

GPU:
    Diamond HD 5870
    i have similar problems with my rig. oblivion sometimes drops to 5fps outside AND inside. tho sometimes it shows 60fps in both. doesnt make sense. and then theres supreme commander. 1v1, plays like a pro, 3 players, notice some lag, not bad. 4 or more, well, when that many units get out, it drops lol. but i know what ur talking about. our cards should be able to handle these games. only thing i can think of is crappy nvidia drivers. im hoping the next release will sort all these problems out

6. formula72

formula72 Guest

GPU:
    (SLI )eVGA GTX980 Ti
    Defrag can be a lifesaver...it usually works when all else fails

7. Critical_Impact

GPU:
    I've tried that, and had XP installed on a clean drive with just Oblivion installed and it still did it. I have a raptor as well so it shouldnt be as bad as it is. I really have no idea what the problem is.