Tricky PC problem. Need help!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by GODzillaSDM, Feb 21, 2007.

1. GODzillaSDM

GODzillaSDM Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    This is my cousin's pc. I'll just list the facts as it is easier to read than paragraphs.

1. PC will usually NOT boot. Show's first DOS/Boot up page with CPU speed and then freezes. I can't even hit delete to get into bios at this point.

2. If i turn off the PSU switch, and turn it back on, it will automatically go into bios. I can edit things in there just fine. CPU freq and multiplier looks fine, as well as mem freq.

3. Swapped "good" psu, still same problem. Took this psu put on another, works fine.

4. unplug hdd, still freezes cannot boot even to cd.

5. Once in a while, it will boot into windows. And it will run for about 20 mins inside windows, and reboot. (i remember a virus that can cause this.)

6. He said he had viruses. (not sure which)

7. I was also able to boot into cd trying to install windows (ONCE). After windows setup copied all the files, and required a restart, it rebooted and hung again.

What do you guys think the problem is? tricky isn't it?

Thanks for any suggestions!
    GODzillaSDM

Last edited: Feb 21, 2007
  2. llerenaprincipe

llerenaprincipe Ancient Guru

GPU:
    DIAMOND X1950XTX 512MB, 650/2000Mhz
    sounds like a hd problem :confused:
    thats all i can tell
    did u try reset the BIOS

3. GODzillaSDM

GODzillaSDM Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    i took out the hdd, and it still doesn't boot or let me get into bios. which leads me to believe its cpu/mobo or ram.

i did reset the battery which cleared bios. still same problem.

4. tHe_HyBrId

tHe_HyBrId Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6950 (Unlocked)
    Have you tried turning on the pc with only 1 stick of RAM?? Or maybe changing the RAM slots???

5. instantcrash

instantcrash Active Member

GPU:
    8800GTX 21' Widescreen HD Monitor
    Had sort of same problem once turned out to be a bad bios flash and when the computer was making APCI calls it was either locking up or rebooting. Same thing with install windows. Has the BIOS been flashed recently or Power surge? I thought it was risky to try and flash the machine in that state but at that point I had nothing to lose any how so i just went for it and it worked! Hope this rambling is of some use!

/me off to play with something shiney!

6. GODzillaSDM

GODzillaSDM Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    There is only 1 stick. I took it out and put it back on. But didn't try diff RAM slot. Maybe i should try that.

7. CTman

CTman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 6800 V9999
    try to check the cpu cooler and the thermal paste first; if the thermal paste got wore off (For example after detaching the cpu cooler for e.g. cleaning etc.), it can cause similar symptoms. If this is the case, apply some fresh thermal paste and try again.

Also check the memory modules and check the timing for the memory in the bios. Maybe one of the ram modules has become defective.

Good luck!

Last edited: Feb 21, 2007
  8. GODzillaSDM

GODzillaSDM Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    the cpu cooler was spinning, but i didn't pull off the heatsink, cuz i didn't have paste with me, when i was at my cousin's house. I checked the temperatures in bios and it looked fine. Even after sitting for a few minutes.

It also doesn't boot pass the first dos screen from cold boot, so i don't think it is a heat issue.

Could be RAM tho. Only thing is, he lives 350 miles from me. I was there this weekend, but now, i can only tell him what to do on the phone. I'll have him try it.

Thanks again for all your suggestions. Any more ideas/suggestion is appreciated.

9. instantcrash

instantcrash Active Member

GPU:
    8800GTX 21' Widescreen HD Monitor
    ummmm...... i say bad bios, good luck though and if you solve it let us know what it was! I like these sort of problems!

:Cheers:

10. GODzillaSDM

GODzillaSDM Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    Hi guys, sorry i haven't gotten back to this, but i've been too busy.

InstantCrash, i just noticed your post. He hasn't done a bios update nor have had a power surge.

I was wondering, if the bios is infected with a virus, will a bios update fix the problem? Any other way to detect/scan if there is a virus on bios? And if yes, any other way to clean it?

I think this might be the problem.
    Thanks
    GODzillaSDM