100.54/59 driver HELL

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Jhayman, Feb 2, 2007.

1. Jhayman

Jhayman Member Guru

GPU:
    2 Sapphire 4850 in Crossfire
    Well where do I start..lol
    Lets just say everything was running peachy this afternoon..
    I run 2 Benq 19" LCD's they were running great, except the control Panel keeps resetting to default 1 monitor on a reboot, it won't save the settings..??
    Then I was having issues with Nero Vision, It was not creating a dvd correctly, it was making the dvd/ video_ts out of sync..
    So I uninstalled Nero to try an updated version, then upon reboot 1 of my BenQ's was being detected as a Digital Panel, while this is true, previously in the Nvidea Control Panel, they showed up as BenQ FP93G 1 and BenQ FP93G 2..
    Then they started being called Digital Panel and BenQ FP93G 1...
    So I tried to set them up properly, but only 1 would do 1280x1024 and the other had no 1280x1024 it would go past 1280x720 then give me 1980x 1200 or something like that..?
    So this was annoying, I then unistalled the 100.59 drivers and reinstalled them and used Driver Cleaner aswell..
    Same thing was happening with monitors....
    Unistalled again, DC3 used and installed 100.54 same thing again, it won't show me what I had before when everything was fine..
    Unistalled again, manually deleted the Nvidea folder in Windows, and reinstalled 100.59 again, then before it finished installing my monitors went blank, before it asked me to restart after installing..
    So now I have no working monitors, not even in Safe Mode...NOT even post screen comes up..
    Just blank screens...
    So then I think my 8800 gts is fried or something, So I get my sons 7800gtx and try that, no good, monitors just show black/no signal....
    Then I think my MB is screwed, I was going to rebuild my computer you know take everything out of case and put it all back in nice..
    The my wife says to try my sons Samsung 913V so I go upstairs and get his computer(just in case) and the LCD and it works no problem...
    So the 100.59 drivers killed my 2 LCD's
    That's the only conclusion I can come to..
    SO now i'm scared to install the 100.59 drivers again on my son's lcd for fear, they will kill his lcd, then I have no monitor to use..
    Needless to say i'm *ISSED

Anything you guys can think of please don't hesitate to reply..
    thanks jamie

2. RamsesII

RamsesII Active Member

GPU:
    INNO3d RTX 4080 ICB
    Well it looks like the drivers did scr*w your LCD's.. AFAIK your displays only can handle up to 1280x1024 @ 80Khz max (correct me if I'm wrong), and every resolution/refresh rate above that standard can damage your display if ran for a longer period.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2007
  3. Jhayman

Jhayman Member Guru

GPU:
    I know my lcd's can only handle 1280x1024 that's all I ever ran them at, but 1 of them started showing resolutions past 1280x1024 but I never let it run at that..
    I have since started using my Son's Samsung and plugged in 1 of my BenQ's and went in NCP and selected to use dual monitor configuration..
    No go BenQ still just displays black.....
    DAMN you Nvidea...

4. Vinnie

Vinnie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Apple M2 Pro
    Hm, how can drivers damage your LCD? The drivers work fine for me :)

5. Jhayman

Jhayman Member Guru

GPU:
    Hey Vinnie...
    Like I said they were working fine for me aswell, but then all hell started..
    Then none standard resolutions/ followed by blank LCD's...
    2 of them how can 2 go at the same time, if it's not driver related..?
    I mean sure a power surge or something else maybe, but I never noticed a power surge/something else happen, just when installing 100.59 for the 5th time before it finished it's install, LCD's went dead..
    I don't know??lol
    But I have read on this forum before about this kind of thing happening, with video cards, just can't remember if it was Nvidea or Ati that had some bug in the driver that screwed up the monitors Edid, I think that's waht it wa called..

6. carlo247

carlo247 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 9800GTX+ SLI
    to test your theory "problem" i have installed Forceware 100.59 and plugged my brother's 19" I-inc LCD screen. I have to say every thing is "O.K" resolution is 1440x900 also tryed 100.54 and 100.30 everything is ok.

7. Jhayman

Jhayman Member Guru

GPU:
    What " theory problem" are you refering to..?
    I already said how this started, please reread the first post then all will be clear..
    thanks

8. dragomirc

dragomirc Guest

GPU:
    eVGA GTX580 965/1930/4400
  9. Jhayman

Jhayman Member Guru

GPU:
  10. Jhayman

Jhayman Member Guru

GPU:
    Update...........
    I have since obtained rma#'s for both monitors..
    I don't even have to ship them, I can drop them off at the rma place, it's just up the street from where I work..lol
    and pick them up 5 days later..
    That's ok I have just bought a 22" Lcd.....
    Bigger is better..:finger:

11. Menion

Menion Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Radeon 5870
    Ok. For your information, it was a long time ago your monitor would actually try a resolution it didn't have support for (early CRTs did that). I am 99.9% certain that there are no such monitors on the market anymore, especially LCD's.

My 19" flat screen have about 5 years on it's neck, but if I try any resolution other than those supported (enabled unsupported resolutions with hack), it will just go black and show it's built in GUI with an error message stating that there is no support for the signal.

The only way your monitors could be damaged by the input, is if the electric current and ampere is way too high for the monitor, and that's very unlikely, since a graphic card can't output that if it's not damaged to start with (and that would most likely kill off more peripherals then just your monitors since we're talking about PCI-E taking way too much power, like a power shortage).

My guess is that there must have been some kind of power surge, coming through your power outlet where they were connected, that killed your monitors. It's just unlucky and bad timing that it happened while you were trying new drivers. Hopefully you'll get a full explanation from Benq what actually went wrong with them!

12. Jhayman

Jhayman Member Guru

GPU:
    Ya my gui did not even work, just black screen,...
    But I did have both plugged into a APC power surge protector..I bought for these monitors just in case..lol
    But I brought them into service this morning, so I should get them back on Friday..
    Thanks

13. MaxBlade

MaxBlade Master Guru

GPU:
    980Ti/970/390/+ more
    I agree with Menion.. I've been there done that.. has nothing todo with Nvidia.

14. Jhayman

Jhayman Member Guru

GPU:
    I agree that it's rare a driver would kill a monitor, but then explain the first part of my issue..
    About the BenQ being called Digital Panel, and the weird resolutions showing up??
    Driver anyone..:mhp:

15. Menion

Menion Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Radeon 5870
    Well... That doesn't necessarily have anything to do with your screens getting messed up, don't you agree? However it's a common notion to assume it did, most people tend to connect a chain of events, just to try to explain what happened... Not having an answer is the biggest frustration :)

16. Fulgore04

Fulgore04 Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Geforce 980 Strix
    i wonder when nvidia will release a decent vista driver with support for all there cards?

it is really needed