Quadro makes no sense in 3dsmax anymore!

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by Bluefirexp, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Bluefirexp

Bluefirexp Guest

GPU:
    Waterforce GTX 1080
    it's not OGL, it's the program itself, which is much "heavier" now. maybe try a Maya version from 1998 (if there was any maya at this time :nerd: ): i'm sure it would also be faster with some scenes...

2. Anax

Anax Member

GPU:
    Ati FirePro V4800
    No, Maya just improved in time. Same card and same drivers and 7.0 is much faster than 6.0 (dunno 6.5). That's because Alias rewrote some of the openGL core (which is really old.. I'd say ancient because it's here from february 1998) in recent times.

3. dexike

dexike New Member

Hi! I have a quadro fx 4500 I tried it with different drivers, and you were right! D3D is the best. Better than maxtreme! Especialy the smooth + highlights but the others too...

But theres is something else:) This quadro 4500 that I have here for testing is the most powerful and also the most expansive card available. I have here a radeon x300 to compare and I found another interesting fact: the quadro (design for professional applications and workstations) can hardly beat the x300 (which is a really poor card). In max's viewport the quadro is almast the same or a little faster which is ridiculous because it costs $2000 compared with the x300 $50...

I've tested them in specacp and viewperf8.1 resulted that the quadro is 4-5 times faster than the x300, but I quess none of us working with testprograms:) I've also tried different forceware and max versions. Then I started to test with different drivers and than I came here:) Do you think that nvidia can release a card that is far more expansive than any others but good for nothing? 4500 is the best quadro... and what about the weaker ones (3400, 1300 ect...) they are slower than the x300 or what? Or I make something wrong... If it isn't good for max than what else? And a last qoustion, how can I speed up my viewport, how can other users handle 2 million+ polys?

4. samov

samov Master Guru

GPU:
    mobility x1600 256
    ...well...

maxtreme for 3ds max 9 is now directX.... this puts this thread in a whole new perspective....

5. okmijun

okmijun Member

GPU:
    MSI 7900GTO
    wtf?
    MAXtreme 9 D3D is a new performance driver for Autodesk's 3ds Max 9 software. Developed in close collaboration with Autodesk, MAXtreme is a free, downloadable software driver capable of delivering dramatic performance improvements of up to 100%, on some tests, when coupled with NVIDIA Quadro® FX professional graphics solutions.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2006
  6. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    Start Using Maya :p

7. theobarbosa

theobarbosa Member

GPU:
    Geforce 6800 Ultra @ Quadro FX 4400
    Hi guys,

I have a Nvidia 6800 Ultra @ Quadro 4000, I was using Max R4.2 with maxtreme, and I´m very disapointed that I can use 2 monitors with maxtreme (just with OGL and D3D)

Well, recentilly I upgraded to Viz 2006 (max 7 alike) and remove my rivatunner to use D3D with original 6800 driver

Well..... OGL is faster than D3D in my Max 7, I need to upgrade to max 8 to use the beneficts of new D3D? or I´m doing something wrong?

Thanks
    Theo - Brazil.

8. samov

samov Master Guru

GPU:
    mobility x1600 256
    the real speed deamon is in max 9, as i recall max 8 had speed improvements, but it's nothing compared to max 9 and it's direct x imprementation.

really makes quadro and firegl obsolete.

9. theobarbosa

theobarbosa Member

GPU:
    Thanks, I´ll see what I can do. thanks.

10. theobarbosa

theobarbosa Member

GPU:
    I need to download anything in nvidia site or the driver is in max 9 already?

11. Morillo

Morillo Member

GPU:
    Club3d 6800Ultra@Quadro4000
    Hmm this need to be checkt :)

With my Club3D 6800U@fx4000 and max8&9

if there is no more differense in d3d mode :p why "strap"

12. Morillo

Morillo Member

GPU:
    Program for check FPS in 3dsMAX? I have try'd the fraps but it's no luck.

13. samov

samov Master Guru

GPU:
    mobility x1600 256
    max 9 has an integrated fps counter... just switch to perspective right click on the "perspective" text select "show statistics" or just press numpad 7 to enable or disable it

14. samov

samov Master Guru

GPU:
    mobility x1600 256
    double post

15. Morillo

Morillo Member

GPU:
    but with max8?

16. spacefrog

spacefrog Active Member

just at "ShowFPS=1" to the [Performance] section in your 3dsmax.ini

watch max's statusbar afterwards....

17. Theliel

Theliel Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7600GT 600/1800
    FPS detection in max 9 dont work fine for me when i check edges count. but is true, max 9 work much better in DX9.

18. pastor

pastor Member

GPU:
    Galaxy 6800GT - Dell bios modded to quadro 4000
    I've tried the new maxtreme D3D in 3dsmax9

My findings:

It seems that maxtreme9 D3D (3dsmax9) is a bit slower that maxtreme8 opengl (3dsmax8) but they are not doing exactly the same things (isoline on some objects on 3dsmax9 .. polygons on 3dsmax8))

3dsmax9 D3D VS 3dsmax9 MAXTREME D3D ... there is not a lot of difference in favor of quadro/maxtreme !?

Also I found that with maxtreme 9 we loose the nice feature of maxtreme 3 4 5 6 7 8 :

look the screenshots :

[​IMG]

alos i find that the maxtreme9 D3D get a better antialiasing for lines (thinner)

19. goko

goko New Member

Hello. I am building a machine for 3d studio max 9. I thought 6800 Ultra or GT moded to quadro would be the best choice for graphic card but ever since readin this thread I have second thoughts.

Please help me pick a graphic card for my workstation. Is 7900GTX any good?

20. ninjazero

ninjazero Member

I think it all depends on the software which you use and what you do in terms of 3d realtime rendering. the mod is good with opengl application and if you work with a lot of dense wire frame. other than that I don't think you would need to change. 7900gtx should have enough juice to handle things specially in max in direct x mode. To me I have it mod cause I use maya a lot back and forth between maya and MAX mixed with some other programs like body paint, zbrush, mud box, and so forth. I do notice a different when run on opengl with the mod. I work with a lot of high poly models over millions of polygons and I think in the end it's how the software handles it rather than the video card. like zbrush, which to me seems to be cpu intensive rather than video card. The more cores the better.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2007