Maxtreme 4 problem with Dual VGA.

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by theobarbosa, Dec 4, 2006.

1. theobarbosa

theobarbosa Member

GPU:
    Geforce 6800 Ultra @ Quadro FX 4400
    Well guys,

First of all, thanks for all information, I got a 6800ultra on ebay and modded to Quadro this weekend to my work.

Well, I´m using a Viz 4.2 (like 3Dsmax 4.2) and Maxtreme 4.00.29 and I´m having problem with dual VGA. the main monitor shows very well (and very fast) the viewport, but the second one shows nothing (appears desktop behind).

I´m changing for native OpenGL driver and for Direct3D driver to test. The direct3D is soooooooooo slow, and the OpenGL appers to have the same speed of maxtreme.

My questions:

1. How can I turn on the fps to compare OpenGL (Nvidia Corp. 2.0.3) with maxtreme 4.00.29?
    2. Is there a way to fix maxtreme to work in dual-VGA (this old version?) changing some config in nview or maxtreme?
    3. How can I activate AA ?

My specviewperf 7.1.1

Run All Summary

---------- SUM_RESULTS\3DSMAX\SUMMARY.TXT
    3dsmax-02 Weighted Geometric Mean = 12.52

---------- SUM_RESULTS\DRV\SUMMARY.TXT
    drv-09 Weighted Geometric Mean = 2.051

---------- SUM_RESULTS\DX\SUMMARY.TXT
    dx-08 Weighted Geometric Mean = 59.76

---------- SUM_RESULTS\LIGHT\SUMMARY.TXT
    light-06 Weighted Geometric Mean = 10.79

---------- SUM_RESULTS\PROE\SUMMARY.TXT
    proe-02 Weighted Geometric Mean = 2.311

---------- SUM_RESULTS\UGS\SUMMARY.TXT
    ugs-03 Weighted Geometric Mean = 11.00

After the mod:

Run All Summary

---------- SUM_RESULTS\3DSMAX\SUMMARY.TXT
    3dsmax-02 Weighted Geometric Mean = 36.71

---------- SUM_RESULTS\DRV\SUMMARY.TXT
    drv-09 Weighted Geometric Mean = 174.2

---------- SUM_RESULTS\DX\SUMMARY.TXT
    dx-08 Weighted Geometric Mean = 142.0

---------- SUM_RESULTS\LIGHT\SUMMARY.TXT
    light-06 Weighted Geometric Mean = 37.17

---------- SUM_RESULTS\PROE\SUMMARY.TXT
    proe-02 Weighted Geometric Mean = 53.59

---------- SUM_RESULTS\UGS\SUMMARY.TXT
    ugs-03 Weighted Geometric Mean = 69.27

Thanks.
    Theo - Brazil.

2. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Guest

GPU:
    5x580 2x590 2x780Ti 1x970
    [​IMG]

You can activate AA in the Maxtreme (Quality settings) or D3D/OpenGL menus inside Max/Viz.

3. theobarbosa

theobarbosa Member

GPU:
    Thanks AlecRyben,

But.... it did´t work.

My screenshot is a little bit different from yours, maybe the version? I´m using 91.36. And I don´t have options to choose better for one or another program, like AA in autocad for example (it will help so much!)

[​IMG]

Here is my screenshot, I´ve tested with single, multi-display compatible e muti-display performance and none of this worked with maxtreme.

Well, If I can´t make it work, I´ll use native opengl, but I wanna know the difference to maxtreme. Is there a way to turn on the FPS on wireframe to see the gain?

Below, the screenshot with the max problem.

[​IMG]

Thanks.
    Theo.

4. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Guest

GPU:
    I am also using the same drivers, although i have a real Quadro, so the workstation application profiles are loaded by default (you can load them on your own if you like, you only have to copy the nvwsapps.xml file found in the driver installation folder, usually C:\NVIDIA, over your existing one in the windows\system32 folder)

Maybe that's a bug in Maxtreme4 - Have you tried using D3D or OpenGL instead?

How about newer Maxtreme versions? Usually they support older versions of Max too in the newer builds.

Also, the newest D3D based Maxtreme seems to be the best so far - a lot of my Max using friends & colleagues report that finally some bugs that were omnipresent in all Maxtreme versions so far, were dealt with.

The AA settings are definitely in the display config menus of Max - use "smooth wireframes" or "quality" setting or similar (i don't have Max installed presently) - i really can't tell about AutoCAD, since i haven't been using it since Autocad R14, my guess is that you will have to install PowerDraft in order to access the AA wireframes in AutoCAD...

About the FPS counter in Max - try searching for it in the Help files, i really don't remember how to enable it - my guess is that it's somewhere in the viewport section menus....

I will try to set-up a dual display system @ my home, so i will be able to test and report back (i will also try to find Max4 installation somewhere in my archives).

And BTW, my brother recently moved to Brazil, (Rio), so i will finally have a chance to visit your beautiful country myself. :)

Last edited: Dec 5, 2006

5. theobarbosa

theobarbosa Member

GPU:
    AlecRyben,

Well, I have done a lot of tests....

1. Newer Naxtreme drivers don´t work in Viz / Max 4.2, just maxtreme 4 works (I tested with 6, 7, 8, 9, and 9 D3D)
    2. Maxtreme 4.00.29 and 4.00.28 (older) they have the same problem.
    3. OpenGL and D3D I already know, works fine.
    4. To show fps in viewport write showfps=1 under [performance] in 3dmax.ini file (viz users, 3dviz.ini file)
    5. maxtreme in blank file = 63fps. OpenGL in blank = 63fps
    6. A Detailed model (a residential build) in maxtreme = 63fps, OpenGL = 33fps, D3D = 11fps.
    7. I´m don´t have much choice, I´ll use openGL instead maxtreme, it´s enought to my work. The AA dont work. no problem.
    8. Thanks for all help AlecRyben. And Rio de Janeiro is a beaultifull city, very, very....

Cheers
    Theo.

6. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Guest

GPU:
    For AA, set Maxtreme settings to quality instead of speed - it should enable antialiased wireframes, just make sure you are not enabling FSAA in the NVIDIA drivers at the same time, since that's mutually exclusive.

7. theobarbosa

theobarbosa Member

GPU:
    I know, but I´ll not use maxtreme... I prefer lost fps to use 2x VGA, get it?

In openGL the AA don´t work.

8. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Guest

GPU:
    I am almost certain it will, i will install Max today so i will try to locate where you enable it. The AA wireframes in standard OpenGL become a little fatty though, (when you compare them to Maxtreme's thin AA lines)

9. theobarbosa

theobarbosa Member

GPU:
    Well,

I´m very disapointed with openGL driver. It´s not fast enought (like maxtreme) and i´m experience some bugs (pc stops 5 ou 6 seg every time that I open any menu, or open material, or open render options, it´s very... very anoying).

I discover why maxtreme it´s running under 1 VGA only. The stereo is off. But the question is: how can I turn it ON? in options its gray, like pic down:

[​IMG]

And searching the files, I found SETUP.INI what have this configs:
    [Startup]
    EnableLangDlg=Y
    AppName=NVIDIA MAXtreme
    [Languages]
    Default=0x0009
    count=17
    key0=0x0804
    key1=0x0404
    key2=0x0006
    key3=0x0013
    key4=0x0009
    key5=0x000b
    key6=0x040c
    key7=0x0007
    key8=0x0010
    key9=0x0011
    key10=0x0012
    key11=0x0014
    key12=0x0416
    key13=0x0019
    key14=0x000a
    key15=0x001d
    key16=0x001e

Questions:

1. There is a newer OpenGL driver (mine is 2.0.3)?
    2. There´s a way to turn ON the Enable Stereo changing the last key? (key16=0x001e)?

Thanks.
    Theo.

P.S. I´m not worry about AA, it´s just the stereo (dual VGA) that I´m really need.

10. theobarbosa

theobarbosa Member

GPU:
    Well, I quit.

I upgraded to Max 7 and no use the maxtreme anymore, but D3D it´s not fast, just OGL in 6800 normal (no quadro) it 2,5x faster than D3D.

I need to upgrade to Max8 to use the beneficts of new D3D or I´m missing something to configure in Max7?

Thanks.
    Theo.

11. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Guest

GPU:
    Stereo option is enabled only if you are using shutter glasses - it has nothing to do with dual displays.
    If you want true speedup, upgrade to Max 9 and use Maxtreme 9 D3D.

12. theobarbosa

theobarbosa Member

GPU:
    humm, but I use Viz, newer viz is Viz 2007, it´s Max 8 with few differences.

Well, it will have difference do D3d of max 8?