Games you wished were still popular.

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by netnexus, Jan 19, 2007.

1. Cycloid

Cycloid Master Guru

GPU:
    2x256MB Geforce 7800GTs in SLi
    Duke Nukem 3-D

Now that was the stuff to dream of!

2. getsuga12

getsuga12 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX870M
    Couldn't agree more... It's just to bad that the people here were so into CS, that i was always forced to play Battlefield 1942 by myself. When some guys passed me by, they'd say, "heh, what game is that? It's probably not as good as CS"

3. Pitman

Pitman Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward GTX 260
    I wish Total Annihilaton was still popular, cos for me atm Supreme Commander just doesnt run well enough on my rig after the game gets going :( I also wish you didnt need Gamespy to play TA online. TA is still better for allowing massive battles on a big scale than most other RTS even today, tho SC takes an equally huge leap on the scale of warfare.

UT 2003 and 2004, Instagib! Preferably on 130% game speed to bring it up to the pace of the original UT, and with the LowGrav mutator to make it extra fun.

Codename Eagle: a class based shooter set in WW2 similar to Battefield 1942, which i used to play over LAN at my local Lan Arena (which i majorly wish still existed)

Tean Fortress Classic, oh that used to be a good laff!

And finally Devastation, the single player wasn't the best gameplay wise but I loved the environments and online play was pretty kool.

4. the_mad_medic

the_mad_medic Guest

GPU:
    cirrus logic isa, 512kb
    A couple of games come to mind like Diablo, Mech warrior 2, Wing Commander 3 + 4, Starcraft, Star control 2, Reunion, Realms of the haunting, Little Big Adventure 1 + 2 (LBA), Scumm games like The curse of Monkey Island, star trek 25th anniversary, the dig.

Ill end it there other wise i can go on for ages.
    It would be good to see more games that were more focus on the gameplay and story than just graphics.

5. rouvio

rouvio Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780

:mhp:

6. Mooshan

Mooshan Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Armor 1080
    I have to agree on the UT2K3/UT2K4 with Instagib, was so fun to play and i miss it, shame it never really kicked off in them games.

I also think SoF2 would be good, i remember back in the day when infiltration was the 2nd most popular gametype to CTF and infiltration was so fun to play then when the patches started to come about and people started to lose interested it quickly became 2nd to nothing although CTF was fun i prefered infiltration.

and the one that i think would have been good to remain popular was RtCW, when i first got it, it was hard to get on a server because it was so popular, again the servers populated now seems quite low, since the release of ET anyway which is completely free. Don't get me wrong its fun but RtCW was the cream of the cake.

7. dshramek

dshramek Guest

Galactic Conquest mod for BF1942.It is an awesome Star Wars mod. It was on its way out by the time I discovered it.
    Also, Area 51. It had a kick-ass multiplayer. The best mode was Infection. It was similar to Zombie mod for CS. Only the alien monsters could shoot alien goo on the human players to infect them over a period of time. The Humans could dual wield any weapon. Dual shotties=the pwnage!

8. Digitalmessiah

Digitalmessiah Active Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT 256mb
    EA sure did drop the ball on Battlefield.. such a shame

9. Verga_del_Brujo

Verga_del_Brujo Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4670 512mb
    Call of Duty, United Offensive. Well, it never been popular anyhow.

10. Andrés

Andrés Guest

Reunion!!!, yes, absolutely, that was an epic game with epic music. Too bad Reunion 2 never made it to the shelves. Also Freespace 2 is a glorious game with a terrific environment, best space simulator I ever played. Two days ago I discovered the FS2 Open project, I'm gonna try it tonight. And last, but not least, X-Wing & Tie Fighter should be both "remasterized" and launched again with full-fledged sound and graphics yum yum :p.

11. Gromuhl'Djun

Gromuhl'Djun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070ti
    I wished X-Wing Alliance became populair. There are still people making mods for that game, making it look better, but they're not playing it :idea:
    I just loved owning my friends in my Tie-Interceptor, even though they were flying friggin' Tie-Defenders (granted, I played all the x-wing games and they didn't play any, but still :D)

12. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    really liked Wing Commander

13. mauaus

mauaus Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce 7900GT zalman VF-900cu
    No one Lives forever 1 and 2 !

We should get a third one... man where those cool!

14. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Oh oh oh oh! You're so right. NOLF2 is one of the most fun FPS' I've ever played. It had everything: Sweet gameplay, good humor, nice levels, good graphics (for it's time!), awesome music and an absolutely hilarious storyline. And that cliffhanger in the end of NOLF2... Damn, I was sure there would be another one.

15. Steven Hone

Steven Hone Paolo the Gun

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3090 3X OC
    Quake 1
    Quake3 Arena - Is still popular
    Age of Empires 2

FF7

WOW ;)

16. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    Age of Empires: Rise of Rome
    Urban Assault (was a really good game)
    Chrono Trigger (losing popularity :[!)

17. Andrés

Andrés Guest

Ahh I remember those times!. My favorite mission was the Tie Fighter training mission No.1. At first you only had to destroy 8 containers, but after that you had to face increasing waves of stronger and stronger fighters and it was just amazing to fight against 12 X-Wings with only a Tie Fighter and still beat 'em all :D

18. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 7600GS 256mb / Radeon 9550 32mb
    Yes, it's too bad they stopped making the X-Wing series. It would have been nice if they did a clone wars or expanded universe version of it. It's fun to imagine how it would look with today's graphics capabilities.

19. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Yeah, I love(d) that game.

20. Beren-OneHand

Beren-OneHand Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580
    you should get those XWA modders to come over to Freespace 2.

its a lot prettier, and easier to work with now that its open-source