Set fanspeed upon detecting 3D app for 8800?

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by jacky89, Dec 26, 2006.

1. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    Check out RT's preset's. Create some or tweak existing.

2. dekruyter

dekruyter Member

GPU:
    8800 gts
    Interesting too, you can't force an overclock launch (core) in 2d mode with this method; the driver must detect 3d to get the core to bump up.

3. Bobas007

Bobas007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 560ti
    Are those presets related to oc settings anyhow?
    What I want is to tell RT to switch GPU/RAM clocks and fan speed while running (ex.) 3DMark05 and Aquamark03 but do not do this for any other program. Could it be done? I know how to do it (change clocks only for listed apps) it in ATITools but ATITools without fan control is no option.

Oh... And there is a "Event history" tracker in RT HW monitor. I can compose desired applications list for this tracker. What is missing there (for my wish) is threshold (like in core graph, or others) with values for ex. "Not active=0" and "Active=1". Then applying launcher item for threshold would be enough for me :)
    Once again! Did somebody find a way how to AUTO alter clocks and fan per application (not by 2D/3D levels). I know how to do it manually in launcher but it is not always possible to launch a game from launcher.
    Shish... I wonder if U can understand my wishes... My English is not so good I suppose :/

4. Sentrix

Sentrix Member Guru

GPU:
    Gainward 8800GTS 640MB(1.1ns)
    well for now, just turn RT off before using other normal apps- it also happens with something like media player classic.

5. dekruyter

dekruyter Member

GPU:
    8800 gts
    I have this happen several times to me now too; regular apps triggering the
    3d mode and setting upping to overclocking settings.

So this raises the question, what triggers the 2d to 3d switch; it it in the nvidia driver and/or rivatuner?

M

6. Sentrix

Sentrix Member Guru

GPU:
    I think its the forceware drivers

7. Bobas007

Bobas007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 560ti
    We can always use ATITool for overclock and RivaTuner just for fan control but it would be nicer to stay with RT alone. Unwinder on "vacations" :/

8. dekruyter

dekruyter Member

GPU:
    8800 gts
    I didn't know you can use ATI tools to clock the nvidia; go figure; an ATI app that can work with Nvidia.

M

9. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Right clicking a launch item allows you creating desktop shortcut for it. Using this shortcut you may launch desired application even when RT is closed, apply overclocking settings only during application runtime and automatically restore the previous settings after the application closes.

10. Bobas007

Bobas007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 560ti
    Yes, I know about it. Very handy. But sometimes it is necessary to launch a game from other program. For example some trackers for online games AFAIK refuse to use links (like launcher links) because they sending launching parameters direct to game exe.
    BTW: Playing with RT is pure fun :) In fact it is sometimes better then just playing games with overclocked vga :grin:

11. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

There is an easter egg for you ;) Do a search for EnableApplicationDetection entry in the PowerUser tab and carefully read its' description.

12. Bobas007

Bobas007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 560ti
    Damn U Unwinder! :kermit:
    That`s it ladies. We have now all I want ;)

13. Sentrix

Sentrix Member Guru

GPU:
    nice, so how are going to work with that setting Bobas? - so that the OC settings are only applied on certain apps

14. Bobas007

Bobas007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 560ti
    It is working but...
    It can launch oc/fan profiles for 3DMark01, 05, 06, rthdribl but nothing happens when running Aquamark03 or (this is worst) my beloved RedOrchestra.
    I`ve tried to workaround this by setup Steam for RT launcher but effect was strange. Starting Steam and clocks/fan bumped (like defined in profile) but after few seconds core clock (only) dropping to default. Well, been there almost.
    Changing to old method.

15. Dufus46

Dufus46 New Member

GPU:
    8800GTS
    Thanks for the valuable information

From a forum newbie,

Followed this thread, while working with my setup, and now have a solution to my liking. (fan and OC control) Thank you to everyone here on the great work.

I would also like the ability to adjust the "AUTO" duty cycle setpoint for fan control. This would simplify many issues. In watching the "auto" setting response to gpu loading, it appears the default setpoint is around 80C for my Evga 8800gts. The proportional band seems too wide though.

Rivatuner - Great product!
    Shareware? Freeware? Where do I send my contribution?

16. Grahf

Grahf Guest

GPU:
    MSI N580GTX Lightning
    Hi there.

First off, thanks for these instructions. IMO, they're 100% essential for anyone who is serious about overclocking their 8800.

Here's my problem though...

I followed the instructions exactly, except I set my Performance3D core clock to 550 and memory to 820.

When I run a 3DAPP (Rthdribl), sure enough, the clocks do change and my temp also changes (maximum now of 68C which is excellent for me)....but, the hardware monitor shows the core clock as 540 (not 550) and the memory as 828 (not 820).

Is this normal?
    What can I do about this?

17. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    It is normal, do a search on geometric delta.

18. Bobas007

Bobas007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 560ti
    Nothing. It is normal and all is ok.

19. PIRATA!

PIRATA! Guest

GPU:
    XFX 8800 ULTRA
    Hi!
    Thank you for this "how-to". :)
    I have tried and it seems to work now.

The only thing I have noticed that is not that good, is that RT switches to 3D performance while simply moving an MSN chat window.

Isn't it strange?!?

Thank you.