When was the last time you upgraded your sound card?

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by David the Gnome, Jan 14, 2007.

1. David the Gnome

David the Gnome Active Member

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB
    I have been using the same Sound Blaster Audigy card since 2001, it's been through three cases and numurous setups. I still haven't felt the need to replace this card. Is there really any difference in it and a new X-Fi card? When was the last time you upgraded the old sound card? Or do a lot of you guys use on-board sound?

2. RejZoR

RejZoR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 Silent
    I bought my X-Fi XM in summer 2006. I used to have Audigy 2 Value and i don't regret a single € that i paied for X-Fi.

3. alg7_munif

alg7_munif Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 X2
    I've always upgraded my sound card. I've used Audigy ES for quite a long time until I started using nForce 2 SoundStorm, I got my X-Plosion later then I bought the X-Meridian, I also bought an X-Fi after that. My move to the X-Meridian is the biggest improvement I've made and I think that buying the X-Fi is a step backward from X-Meridian for me but now I'm using two sound cards. My X-Meridian is my primary sound card and I only use my X-Fi for games that support EAX >2.0. For games with EAX <2.0 or without EAX, I use my X-Meridian. Since I didn't play much games like before, I rarely use my X-Fi.

4. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    I upgraded sound card from a XFI to the Razer Barracude 24 days ago. That was my last upgrade.

5. Enozekun

Enozekun Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 8800GT
    I bought my X-fi XG two weeks ago, IMO it's definetely worth every coin you buy it for. I had an ALC850 before and the difference is huge, it sounds like i have a completely new set of speakers/headset :)

6. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    I have always liked buying new soundcards becasue I like aound more then GFX. I just bought the X-Meridian when released. My next audio upgrade will be the X-tension board. Any soundcard will totally kill a onboard soundchip.

7. spyder_3kgt

spyder_3kgt New Member

GPU:
    EVGA9800GT 700/1750/2100
    I upgraded from my old sb live! Xtreme-Gamer to the X-Fi Fatal1ty this last summer. Quantum leap for sure and very noticable on my 4.1 klipsch setup :D

8. Ultraq

Ultraq Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 6800GT AGP
    Had an SBLive from 2001 to 2004. Got new computer in 2005 and used that onboard (ALC 650, ewwwww) until early 2006. Bought an X-Fi then which is my current soundcard.

So I've only made 2 soundcard purchases, SBLive and X-Fi, in the past 6 years (I've made 3 videocard purchases in that timeframe).

9. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    I think it's great Audio cards aren't afflicted with the same thing as videocards. WHere you need to upgrade every 6 months. Consider even when you do upgrade it's not rlike your old gear sounded BAD it just doesn't sound quite as good as your new gear. I am really hoping this OpenAL move by MS will force companies to start competeing again.

10. ebucemag

ebucemag Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD HD 7850 2GB Crossfire
    How is it?

11. alg7_munif

alg7_munif Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 X2
    Same reaction like people who went to X-Meridian from X-Fi

12. Iceroid

Iceroid New Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon x1900xtx 512mb
    I got my EMU 1212M 1 month ago :) It pwns.

13. nm+

nm+ Don Cappuccino

GPU:
    old
    I swear I'm the only person with a soundstorm.
    Its actually part of teh reason i've kept this computer for so long, nothing I've seen does digital out as well as the old SndStorm

14. Pupp3tmast3r

Pupp3tmast3r Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Last week I went to my uncle in England. He had bought an X-Meridian because he had this surround sounds setup using an Home theater system. It sounded awesome, so I'm thinking about getting one (or two, not sure) too. Problem is, they don't sell them in Holland yet. What would be the easy way of getting those cards?

15. Donnie27

Donnie27 Banned

GPU:
    ATI X1800XT
    X-Fi about 16 months ago and Happy as hell with it:)

16. Pandaz3

Pandaz3 Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI HD 3870
    I have a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, Audigy 1 Gamer, Audigy 2 Value, X-Fi Platinum, and yes ...a Soundblaster Live. (SoundStorm too, but unfortunately using analog)

I like my X-Fi the best, which seems natural as it is pricier and uses later technology

I have a ASRock 939 Dual VSTA with pretty good onboard sound.

My X-Fi is on a NF4 motherboard and some say that has been a problem, but not for me.

17. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    I know my dad is happy with his sound card upgrade, he has my XFI and my Z5300 setup. Maybe he doesnt knock the rear speakers over like I did when i was using my Z5300. Hes a very lucky person heh.

I lost count how many times the rear fell on the cemet floor but hey they still works like nothing happen to them heh.

18. nutyo

nutyo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X HD5870
    Grabbed an X-Fi about 10 months ago, haven't looked back since.

19. CTman

CTman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 6800 V9999
    I had the Diamond EDGE pci videocard with built in sound, which sounds quite okay even when compared it to the isa Sound Blaster AWE64 in that time (1996);

Upgraded to soundblaster live, which sounds very good (1998);

Than upgraded to an Audigy 2 (2003), which I found it's a great improvement over the soundblaster live! And I need the firewire for DV, which is a nice bonus!

Build a second pc (mainly as HTPC) and bought an extra Audigy 2, this time the updated Audigy 2 ZS (for just 50 euro); love the firewire, because the new mainboard does not have one; very nice for firewire devices (2005)!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2007
  20. Andycats

Andycats Member

GPU:
    AMD 4850 512
    I got my Sound Blaster x-fi ExtreamMusic 2 days ago packaged with the Soundblaster Gaming headset for £92, befor that i only had my soundcard, use it with my Logitech X-530 speakers and its 100% great,