Quick RAM Question.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Saucy, Jan 12, 2007.

1. Saucy

Saucy Master Guru

GPU:
    6800 Silencer5 (16x1,6vp, 425/1147)
    Hi. This is a quick, spicific question and I'd just like to get an oppinion or two.

For the setup on the left, Would 2 GB of ram at 3-3-3-7, 194 MHz be preferable over my current setup of 1 GB at 2-2-2-5, 194 MHz?

I'm looking for how it would affect games such as Doom 3 and HL2 played at 1920x1200.

Thanks for the input,

-Saucy

2. ah1zghost

ah1zghost Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 960-4G
    Hi, yes 2 gigs of ram is kind of a standard to play newer games. ie: BF2, FEAR, Oblivion etc... Youre games / comp will enjoy 2 gigs, and loading, speed will improove.

Are you talking about the ram you have in youre profile? Because shouldnt youre ram (pc3200 be runnig at 400 Mhz?) Some MOBO's / RAM configureations require a voltage, and timing change to run at full speed, and perform stable.

If it were me I would go with 2 gigs of ram, and set the timing, and voltage to what ever it needed to be for it to run at full capable speed, and stability, then let R rip.

Youre MOBO manufacturer should be able to tell you if you need to mod the timing, or voltage for the brand you have.

3. Saucy

Saucy Master Guru

GPU:
    6800 Silencer5 (16x1,6vp, 425/1147)
    The clockspeed I listed is the actual memory speed, not the DDR rate; it's lower than 200 (400 DDR) because I needed a dividor to overclock my processor this high. Because of the lower speed, I don't need high voltage, but on my last system I successfully ran 3.4 volts through these nice windsor chips; completely stable. The new ram I'm considering adding is cheap corsair crap I have lying around tha house that will not be able to pull the tight timings that my g.skills are running.