Advice on new motherboard and Case.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by dB, Jan 7, 2007.

1. dB

dB Guest

GPU:
    88GTS 512M@830/2050/2.2g
    I am unpleased with my case (I dont like how it looks) and motherboard (problems the P5B series has in general) and want to get different things. I am thinking about getting a COOLER MASTER Centurion RC-534-KWN1-GP case and an EPoX EP-5P965+GLI motherboard. I have a few questions on both componets but i'll start out with the case first. Will an 8800GTX fit in the case? I know that an 8800gts barely fit in my current case and thats one of the reasons i am upgrading. Now the motherboard question: Has anyone heard anything about this board? I like EPoX and the boards' layout/features but i cant find any reviews on this board.
    If anyone wants to suggest different hardware thats fine, but to not waste anyones' time i will give you guys the constaints the hardware must fit in: The case must be compatible with two 120mm fans and the mobo must have a good layout, and have good overclocking support. One more constarint is that the componets must cost less than my current hardware. Also, although i no longer like asus :p does anyone have any experience with the ASUS P5N-E?

Thanks for the input.

2. Infested Nexus

Infested Nexus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon™ HD 8850M
  3. dB

dB Guest

GPU:
    88GTS 512M@830/2050/2.2g
    thanks Nexus.I really like the case and don't have anything against gigabyte, but now i have a questions on the case. What happens on a case with a drive bay door if the dvd drive opens while the door is shut?

4. Infested Nexus

Infested Nexus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon™ HD 8850M
    I would imagine that the optical drive would either push the door open or close itself depending on the strength of the latching mechanism on the drive bay door.

5. MrBen

MrBen Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce4 ti 4200 128MB
    If my CD drive attempts to open while my door is shut, it will just hit the door and wait for me to open. It doesn't reshut and it's not strong enough to push the door open. A minor hassle but worth it for me for a clean look.

edit: BTW, I have a completely different case. Just wanted to clarify.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2007