ddr2 d9 buyers guide

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by maxfly, Dec 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    nope unfortunately the io panel didnt line up.ill have to order one from asus i guess.
    wow that really sucks man.

2. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    gskill HZs are back in stock at newegg!

3. omega_1

omega_1 Master Guru

GPU:
    7600gs 256mb
    what is the cheapest ram with d9 chips on newegg ? I was hoping to spend no more than 250$ max...but those are all about 300...

4. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    the crucial ddr2 667 is about as cheap as it gets.theres nothing under $280 right now.you could try and hold off and see if crucial comes out with some rebates.

5. Tenkanisk

Tenkanisk Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon Sapphire X1900gt
    Unless you can find a pair on ebay or other sales sites. Try looking things up in froogle, pricegrabber, pricewatch, that hound thing on anandtech and other types of sales search engines.

Not going to dremel the IO to your liking? Asus would be the better call.

The good thing about the monitor is I can get a replacement for about the same price at circuit city which is a 10 minute drive from where I live.

I am trying to adjust my eyes to this type of screen but it is damn hard, I have been using a gateway crappy crt for so long I get severe eye strain, wondering if I should grab a better crt instead of a new lcd.

6. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    yeah dremeling was a no go.by the time i cut out the pieces i needed to.id have been left with a big hole essentially.so i figured id just leave it off for now.
    i like the out of the box look of the lcds but it isnt as nice as my trinitron after ive tweaked her a bit.it does take some getting used to switching to lcd for sure.thats a tough call tbh.i would definately go to bb or cc to give the monitor a good once over b4 making up your mind.thats what i do when i switch monitors.it just makes me feel a little more secure about the change.

7. Tenkanisk

Tenkanisk Master Guru

GPU:
    I hear you on that. A large hole is welcome.

I may need to pick up a dremel sometime to fix up my p180 like a guy on xs did.

I was having massive trouble earlier with my computer so I had to use my older one to connect which is in another room on a 17" bubble faced CRT. After 3 days of an LCD you look at the CRT thinking damn that is small and wow fuzzy and hard to look at. I am not sure if any more good CRTs are made anymore, all the companies I have read stopped making them. Plus spending $700 for a LaCie 17" or so is freaking nuts.

The reboots and freezes may have been caused by my virus scanner (beta) going nuts with my old firewall which ironically also went nuts. I changed up the firewall after I finally got it removed and I downgraded off of beta for the virus scanner after fully removing it with a special program. I can only pray that klif.sys won't start to BSOD me some more.

8. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    its a true shame they cant make a affordable 21 inch crt(there are solid ones at the egg but the price!).for the same money you can get a top end lcd 22-24 inch.my crt has been flawless(other than the heat it puts out) in the 4 years ive owned it.but when it does kick the bucket it will be lcd for me.
    ah the lovely driver/software conflicts.makes you want to kick something lol.
    so your getting the bugs worked out of her?

9. Tenkanisk

Tenkanisk Master Guru

GPU:
    If your monitor lasts a couple more years you can always pick up an OLED or SED instead of an LCD they should be tons better.

I think so, but your guess is as good as mine. Picking combinations of programs that will interact badly with each other is my specialty. It will be all nice and fine but then one day when something happens to cause a single bad boot, from then on you are SOL with fixing them. Kaspersky Anti Virus beta and Outpost pro = bad combination when things work wrong.

10. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    yeah im keeping my fingers crossed until then lol.i love this monitor!
    lol ive a friend who has that same special talent!ive tried and tried telling him how he should go about software installs...he just keeps doing the same get it all done at once thing and i end up having to spend hours fixing the darn thing.id say he probably owns the world record for xp installs lol.
    once you find out what works with what youll be golden.

11. Tenkanisk

Tenkanisk Master Guru

GPU:
    My fixing fixed one of them, now I have a BSOD caused by ntkrpamp.exe. I think my ram may be bad.

I will have to start stressing the system and see what happens. Damn life.

12. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    ntkrpamp.exe?any idea what thats attached to?you think your xp install is corrupt?did the install go clean?
    run memtest86 to rule out your ram.id say for a good 2-3 hours.what voltage are you running thru it and timings?

13. Tenkanisk

Tenkanisk Master Guru

GPU:
    I am running 2.2 as manufacturer specced. My newest BSOD (ran orthos on large FFTs after the crash from ntkramp) is from ati2dvag. My install went flawless. All updates and everything. Memtest has to be run before windows right? I hear it can kill your windows install so I am going to pick up some DVD-R's to backup whatever I can. I also got a single error in orthos and a couple errors in super pi. Fun days ahead.

14. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    ok the orthos and prime errors are probably cpu related.try upping your vcore a tad.1.325 or so.whats it defaulting too(just bump it a little over stock)?what are your gpu idle and load temps looking like?you may need to try dif drivers for it :(
    yep you need to make a bootable floppy or cd iso then run it in dos(it will tell you how to do it in the readme).memtest86 is fine.it wont hurt your os install at all.it only tests your mem nothing else.its the only reliable test for memory ive ever used.
    edit:ignore the first part.i missed the large ffts part lol.

15. WildStyle

WildStyle Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Your discussion can be continued over PM. All the relevant info is in the first post for people to refer to.

16. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    crab cooler is out of stock at the egg.crucial ddr2 1000 has jumped up from $299-$339.i may pull it from the list if it doesnt come down soon.i cant call that a very good deal tbh.its cheaper than most ddr2 1000 kits but you can get the same exact ics for $50 less.

17. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    just found this stuff at the egg.geil ddr2 1000 for $274.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820144026
    i have no idea what ics they use but guaranteed ddr2 1000 speeds for $274 is a sweet deal.
    i see patriot used elpida in their pc8000el modules.i wonder if this is also high binned elpida?
    anyone have any ideas?or better yet care to bite lol?
    edit:nevermind its definately not micron according to xbits tests.most likely elpida.still a very good deal atm.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2007
  18. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
  19. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    man i hate this crappy mem v2.2 i paid 312 for this mem get the junky stuff than they put it on sale after rebate 220 p.m.o i got it for one reason they said it was great fast and all.
    so now that i got all the salt out of my wounds,is it best to buy pc1000 or for same price a e6600 what you think maxfly?

hey scach what i said ^^ up there
    well thinking a little deeper, i'm going memory first. maybe i'll find cheeper cpu's in 6-10 months if i'm cravein more.
    i'v deceided to go for some pc 1000 or higher,price range 3-400$. something thats sold to go high speed, i'm looking @ newegg
    anyhelp or suggestions?dont wanna scerw up again.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2007
  20. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    the best deal for confirmed d9gmh ddr2 1000 is the newegg deal on the crucial ballistix tracers for $315.just use the promo code for the $60 off(in the post above yours).thats by far the best deal ive found lately.its only good thru the 15th tho.that stuff is really nice.it adds a little bling with the leds on it too.
    ive seen people pushing it to 1200mhz,2.4v,5-5-5-15.so you can rest assured itll do some very nice ocing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.