Is it me ... or does Quad SLI still suck?!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Trailerman, Dec 21, 2006.

1. Trailerman

Trailerman Member

GPU:
    2 x XFX 7950GX2
    Every game I've tried to play recently has been infinitely worse with Quad SLI enabled, than with it disabled. Is this just the way it is, and I've wasted my hard-earned, or is there some chance that Nvidia might, one day, get some kind of decent drivers written for those of us with 2 7950 GX2's?

Sorry for the frustrated tone, but after hours trying to get Splinter Cell DA and Rainbow Six Vegas running, and then discovering things are dramtically improved if you just switch off Quad SLI, I'm fed up.

Thanks for listening.

TM

2. axium

axium Member

GPU:
    4 x GTX 980
    It's almost the same for standard sli.

That's why I ditched my 2 7800gtx's for one 8800gtx. The advantages of sli are so insubstantial for the amount of headaches it causes. I cant even imagine how bad quad sli is.

What's worse is there is no one person to put the blame on. There are just too many factors. Game developers, motherboard drivers and bios, videocard drivers, everyone has to really play along in order for this to work.

Sorry bud. :(

3. Copey

Copey Guest

GPU:
    960 2GB
    the fact is the 8800's are out now and there going to concentrate on getting good drivers for them , so you could be either waiting for ages or it might just never happen, it is just flawed technology and no gamesd make use of it so was slightly useless and not good on nvidia's part , sorry mate

4. blue5

blue5 Banned

GPU:
    evga 9800GTX (685/1115)
    It was too pricy and power reqs. were too much.

5. Trailerman

Trailerman Member

GPU:
    2 x XFX 7950GX2
    Oh well - guess I'll start saving for an 8800 then.

Am I right in thinking they need a big CPU behind them to really deliver much of an increase in performance? I don't know if an FX60 is going to be enough to push it along, and I have no plans to build a new rig for a year at least.

Thanks for the feedback.

6. WR-HW95

WR-HW95 Guest

GPU:
    GB Aorus 1080Ti SLI
    In game performance it doesnt make so much difference when using 1600x1200 AF and AA turned on..... or it does but it isnt so huge as in 3dmarks.

With this Opteron 3.05GHz and mems running 256MHz 3-4-3-8 T1 i get only about 2000p more in 3Dmark01 than with 7800GTX clocked at 621/1400,but in games this is much much better.

7. Burnt_Ram

Burnt_Ram Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1050 Ti
    flog them GX2's on ebay or something. someone will buy them for a hefty price there ;)

8. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Have to agree here, I had similar problems with Crossfire! You never know if its working or not and many games manifest artifacts etc with it. When I bought my new rig I briefly considered SLI 8800s but at the end of the day I dismissed the notion. At the moment, even single 8800 users are waiting for solid drivers so I'm not about to risk the even more unsupported SLI. Further to that, 1 x 8800 makes short work of everything anyway.

E