New 7900GS & 3DMark05?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Estima8tor, Dec 13, 2006.

1. Estima8tor

Estima8tor Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 FTW
    I just upgraded my rig and finally got away from AGP. I got a evga 7900GS KO with new mobo & cpu. I got windows pro installed and everything seems to be working good.

But when I ran 3D05 here's what happened:

[​IMG]

WTF, no score posted? so I reinstalled 3D05 and got the same results. Never had this problem with my 7800GS AGP rig.

So I clicked on the "view results on line" tab and got a score:

[​IMG]

So I guess my questions are has anyone had this problem with no score posting after running 3D05 and is that score what I should expect from my system?

2. TV addict#2

TV addict#2 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EvgaGtx680+HPLP-3065
    the no score posted is odd,never had that
    looks to be a good 3d05 run score

3. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    I have never had that problem.
    Looks like a good score. When I look "similar systems" your score is quite in the middle so it's not bad.

4. Estima8tor

Estima8tor Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 FTW
    Yeah, I was very happy with that score - higher than I expected! The card only has a mild overclock of 550 / 1580.

But what the heck is up with 3D05? Never seen or heard af this problem before. And like I said earlier, I uninstalled and reinstalled 3D05 and the same thing happened.

I've also found this new asus mobo to be kind of flakey, I've had some minor but very strange problems with it.

5. RossCorp

RossCorp Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 570GTX SLI
    The 3dMark05 "problem" you refer to isn't really a problem. Actually, scratch that, it is a problem!
    Futuremark recently (~2 weeks ago) patched 3dMark06 and PCMark05, and they updated 3dMark05, although there was no incremental patch, just a full download. With the updates came this "online functionality", which means you can't see your score without going online!

It seemed like an OK system to me, until last week. I voltmodded my 7900GS and performed some benchmarks with the core at 701mhz. I was looking forward to seeing '06 the most, and guess what.....Futuremark's ORB server is down! I couldn't see the results for 2 days, lol. That is why I don't agree with this new so-called feature.

6. deathvirus

deathvirus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 MaxQ 8GB
    Score seems ok .. infact quite good ..

7. llerenaprincipe

llerenaprincipe Ancient Guru

GPU:
    DIAMOND X1950XTX 512MB, 650/2000Mhz
    thats the new version
    the patch
    DUH
    i am havng problems tho
    when i click view result online
    i get something saying
    SUBMISSION FAILED
    it annoys me a lot
    and the same with 3dmark06 and i think im getting a higher score now :D
    i have a feeling

8. Estima8tor

Estima8tor Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 FTW
    Thanks for the heads up on that Ross. I wasn't aware of that until now.

@ llerenaprincipe - I also had that submission failed crap a couple of times.

Well I'm glad there's nothing wrong with my new rig anyway but I don't like what what futuremark has done, oh well it a free program since I don't subscribe so I can't complain to much, lol..

I also noticed that drivercleaner program is no longer free. $9.99 for use now.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2006
  9. CanadianTSi

CanadianTSi Member

GPU:
    7900gs (675/886)
    Should be able to come close to 11k with a Little Overclocking.

10. RossCorp

RossCorp Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 570GTX SLI
    Yep, that "Submission Failed" thing is what I got too. I'm assuming that Futuremark's servers were either down or they were "bogged" down by too many people trying to see their scores! I could access every part of Futuremark's web site except for the ORB page.

And I know this is off topic, but voltmod your card :)

I did it to mine, very simple, can get 701mhz stable now! Scored me a couple shy of 11000 in '05 and 6150 in '06! And that was with my 24/7 overclock on the rest of my rig, wait until I crank the ram and cpu!!! :)

11. Estima8tor

Estima8tor Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 FTW
    There's a step by step article in CPU magazine on how to volt mod this card so I may give it a try.

This card was fairly cheap and was only meant to last me until prices drop on the 8800GTS - but that being said I really don't want to fry it either, lol.

12. RossCorp

RossCorp Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 570GTX SLI
    I don't want to fry mine either, but as you said, it was a relatively cheap card with performance waiting to be unleashed! Just yesterday I started up a new character in Oblivion. Haven't touched the game in about 3 months. I am TOTALLY back into this game, as it is a completely different experience now! Granted the last time I played it, I was using a P4 at 3.5ghz and a 6800GS (Ultra), so with this new system and my card at 660/1500, it is butter smooth with quite high settings. Very impressed.

FYI - Here is a pic of the mod I did. So VERY simple :)

http://img120.imageshack.us/my.php?image=vmodred05yelloe1purple2jr1.jpg

Red = +0.05v
    Yellow = +0.1v
    Purple = +0.2v

You can also combine them. If you had watercooling for example you could just do all them and have 1.55v on the gpu!!! (1.2v stock + .2 + .1 + .05)

13. Estima8tor

Estima8tor Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 FTW
    Thanks for the pics Ross.

v mod looks fairly simple, i need to get a better voltage tester before I attempt it.

I've been slowly easing up the core & memory speeds and I've got this card up to 620/1600 and it acts like it wants to go higher! :gape:

I've got a zalman cooler layin around here somewhere that I need to get mounted on this card asap.

Getting around 9600 in 3DMark05 and it's blazing through all my games.

Got my mobo running more stable with the latest bios flash and some updated chip set drivers.

I'm diggin my new rig ... :D :roll:

Last edited: Dec 15, 2006
  14. RossCorp

RossCorp Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 570GTX SLI
    Glad to hear everything is working out for ya Estima8tor! I tested the voltage after the .2v mod and it was 1.505v! The XFX versions apparently have stock voltage at 1.3v, so the .2v mod raised it to 1.5v! It's running cool enough for now, the highest it got after a 3 hour Oblivion session was 68c, but it isn't the gpu I'm worried about. I'm thinking the "voltage regulator" (is that what it's called?) isn't exactly designed for 1.5v. There is one chip on the pcb that is getting quite hot. I think I'm just going to lower it down to 1.4v, as that should still give 650+! :)