New to ATI Cat 6.11 overclocking ability

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by mindbender, Dec 8, 2006.

1. mindbender

mindbender New Member

Being old I am too nervous to try and over clock my ATI x1950 XTX so I am trying to find the factory settings for this Vid card but not sure what they are so please forgive me for asking a few stupid questions and I hope one of u can answer them so I can have some piece of mind

1) What is a good GPU and CHIP tempeture for this card? Using the ATI Tool 0.25 Beta 15 and the ATI CAT 6.11 Control Center I got the following info which I ran the minute I got it from the store; I had asked about overclocking but wasn't sure about doing it my self so I think they were only trying to help me by doing it themselves with the Cat 6.11 system

The Core was set somewhere around 648.00 and the MEM set at 999.00 and the temp of the GPU was running between 80 and 86 degrees C nd the CHIP was around 65 cegrees C with the fan running at 57%

2) Is the default settings, after reading your sticky. the proper factory setting that being CORE=506.25 AND MEM=594.00 I THINK, with GPU temp running between 72 and 80 degrees C and CHIP temp around 53 TO 58 Degrees C. with the fan running at about 37%

3) Last question It appears to me, after reading till I almost went blind, that if you overclock your Vidio card there is extra stress to an unknown degree on it and in the end after a long period of time, a year or two of usage, it can only shorten the life of the card and thats the reason for the factory settings, that is to give the card maxium life

I cant seem to find info on the net as to what the factory settings for this card should be (ASUMING ITS THE DEFAULT SETTINGS IN ati Tool& LOWEST SETTINGS in the CAT 6.11 Manager and what is an acceptable temp range for both the GPU and CHIP any ideas where I can?

Again thank you for your help in advance

:paranoid:

2. Numinous

Numinous Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS Radeon HD 4850 IceQ4
    Well 650Mhz core and 1000Mhz memory is the default speed for the X1950 XTX. I really dont think you need to OC that card at all, at stock speeds that thing will handle anything. Your temperatures are a little high but nothing to worry about really. If you can use ATI Tool or ATI TRAY TOOLS to adjust the fan speed based on temperature instead. For some reason the default fan speed on radeon cards is just too low. Other than that you are fine as is...

3. mindbender

mindbender New Member

I have both the ATI Tool and Try tool but cant figure out how to adjust the fan to a higher speed for 80 degree temps can u help