Auzentech X-Purity/X-Meridian Specs

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by ROBSCIX, May 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alg7_munif

alg7_munif Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 X2
    Natez,
    Which value is important exactly?

Robscix,
    I noticed some difference in musics with the new OPAMPs. It costs me just about 3Eur each(without shipping) so I think it is a good investment.

2. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Since when do specs translate into sound quality?
    THis is a subject of long debate how one can translate specifications to sound quality. You can check the net it has been discussed many,many times. The value of specs are limited in audio. I have a friend sending me some amps from Toronto. I also got some more recommendations from the DIY audio guys. So I am still in the research stage. You can read as many specs sheets as you want BUT it all boils down to trying the amps and performing listening tests. I was talking with a guy in another forum that is using it in a CarPC for a competition or something similar.. ALG, where are you from? Europe?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2006
  3. NaTez

NaTez Member

Quality? Originality!

A soundcard is not a HiFi amplifier. A soundcard has to give the orignal again.
    And this signal quality is absolutely measurably. Look at the high quality prof. soundcards. There is no subjective discussion on an audio player, like a soundcard.

Look for example at the crosstalk value. This ist one of the worst results, which I ever saw. After I read the Auzentech marketing, I expected also dynamics more largely 115dB. And? Nothing!

4. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Sound quality is absolutley measurable!? What Numbers translate into nice tight bass? what pecentage will give me glowing mids? what number represents clear highs? are you kidding me? Sound quality is absolutley subjective. You know this. There are also alot of things that can affect a measurment that is why you can only place so much stock in them. So many things come into play concering audio digital and analog. This is basic electronics theory.

5. alg7_munif

alg7_munif Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 X2
    Robscix,

I'm from Germany, here I can buy 2 X-Meridians at the price of one Elite Pro.

Natez,

I think that the result is limited to the input, not the output, I can easily get 113dB dynamics if I did like in creative's instruction: output volume is set to almost full and lower the input volume to get 1dB recording volume but with that setting THD % and IMD % will be too high. The result above is only at less than 50% output volume and the input volume is set to full. Maybe the input can't handle the full output because it is at 5Vrms.

6. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Yes Creative love to fudge up spec's another reason I don't like specs in this sense. I think the upgrade for me is about $12 so that's a good investment for me if it can improve sound quality. I am actually trying to order some speakers from Europe right now.

7. NaTez

NaTez Member

You don't understand me?

Sound quality != signal quality

The soundcard is only a player. And the signal quality of the X-Meridian above is not so well.

Sound quality.

You contradict yourself here even.
    You look at the results with new OPAMPs and places firmly the sound quality is better than with the orginal OPAMPS. How fits that?

8. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    WHat I am saying is signal quality doesn't always translate into sound quality. You should know this. There are lot's of sources of noise and interference that can throw off such measurments. Does it mean the card sound bad NO not at all. I really only care what it sounds like. It sounds freakin' great to me. I have heard X-fi's and M-Audio etc. This card is one of the best I have ever heard. You can have a card that measure awsome and when you listen to it it sounds like sandpaper , cold scratchy and analytical....again basic electronics theory. Why argue..craping out the thread. different points of view..

9. NaTez

NaTez Member

Oh. That can only be your personal opinion. If you cannot at all be safe that others hear likewise, how you can then everywhere tell that those x-meridian a so good sound quality have?

Do you think from your self that you have so good ears?

Now. We know that the signal quality of the x-meridian is not as promised good.

What do you think abaout other CMI8788 Cards with same DAC/ADCs and better specs?

10. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    That first sentance you wrote, makes no sense to me. Your right I go by my ears and what others tell me. Everybody who I have talked to that owns a X-Meridian says the same thing I do, They sound amazing. Simple.
    Hey, ALG, didn't you want the X-fi spec to figure out a issue with 24/192?

11. alg7_munif

alg7_munif Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 X2
    The different is the analogue output, eventhough the DAC and sound chip is the same, the board is not. Even by changing the cable connecting a sound card to a same speaker, it will change the sound so if you change the whole board and components, they will also change the sound.

Edit: The X-Fi spec is not very important actually, creative will surely come with a new card when 24/192 8-channel sources are widely used and at that time the X-Meridian will be much cheaper but people will still buy creative's card because of EAX 6 lol.

12. rockonhard

rockonhard Master Guru

GPU:
    Gecube 9600 pro 128
    Whoa, it's like a warzone here as well ( like at munif's ;) ). So, what is NaTez trying to prove? Is he just simply implying that the XM7.1 is really crappy when it comes to re/producing sounds?

If you tend to argue what XM7.1 owners are saying about their card, why don't you buy one and try it for yourself and who knows you might be pleasantly surprised. Nothing beats a first-hand experience, you know.

I'm sure a lot of people buying soundcards are not thinking> gee, I haven't checked this card yet with an analyzer tool, LOL. You use the best thing to analyze sound(s) and those are your God-given ears. I think analyzer tools are only useful if you're deaf or tone deaf (whichever applies). :grin:

13. KrisWood

KrisWood Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 3300
    Ok first, Natez, whoever taught you english should be fired. I can't understand a single sentence you've been writing. If you're going to argue something at least make sure you can be coherent first.

Second, when I asked what reciever would be good for the XM7.1 I meant specific makes and models. Of course I want to get one with 24/192, that's a given, but what brands are good, which models would compliment the sound quality that this card outputs, etc.

Now, about watching DVDs on the PC, as well as other media sources. My family no longer watches DVDs with our DVD player. Ever since I got my XM7.1 we've been watching them via the PC which has since then been hooked up to our TV and HT reciever. There's no comparison. My Radeon X1600XT gets more vibrant, clearer colours than the DVD player, the XM7.1 gets more realistic, lifelike sound. Regular DVD movies are infinitely more enjoyable now than they were on the DVD player which is now (I am quite happy to say) gathering dust in the entertainment stand. To me with my admittedly untrained ears even 44.1Khz MP3s sound better with my XM7.1 on my low end reciever than the high end standalone CD players in the demo rooms in audio stores I've heard. If the X-Fi can do that, so be it, but I love my XM7.1 and that's enough for me. :)

14. rockonhard

rockonhard Master Guru

GPU:
    Gecube 9600 pro 128
    Hey guys, tried listening to Led Zeppelin's No Quarter in DDL 5.1 mode? Try it and you will be amazed!!!

Edit: Kris, what don't you give the Yamaha 457 6.1 receiver a test run and see how that goes. I found that out in my local Hi-Fi store and it's a real bargain here in my area. Been googling the model and I found the specs, so here it is: http://www.saleshop.co.il/Product.asp?Pid=RXV-457&Cat2Cat1ID=1829&Cat2ID=0&DeptIDReq=12

Channel Digital Home Cinema Receiver-6.1
    High-Power 125Wx6 6.1-Channel Receiver with Special Features like Quad-Field CINEMA DSP and Night Listening Enhancer, plus the brand
    new technology of Dolby Pro-Logic IIx and much more.

The RX-V457 has the following Main Features:
    High Sound Quality
    Digital ToP-ART and High Current Amplification
    192kHz/24-BIT DACs for All Channels
    Direct Stereo for High Quality 2-Channel Sound Reproduction
    Surround Realism
    Night Listening Enhancer (Cinema/Music) and SILENT CINEMA
    DOLBY DIGITAL EX, DTS-ES, Dolby Pro Logic IIx and DTS 96/24 Compatibility
    Audio Delay for Adjusting Lip-Sync (0–160ms)
    Quad-Field CINEMA DSP and 14 Surround Programmes.

Are you looking for something like this? Hope this helps a bit.

15. rockonhard

rockonhard Master Guru

GPU:
    Gecube 9600 pro 128
    Rob, munif, anyone, I need some clarifications on one matter please.

The Flexbass tab on the XM7.1 driver, what does this do exactly? Does it adjust (higher or lower) the bass on your speaker setup and does it work? What is the difference between this and bass (subwoofer) level adjustment on my Z-680, is it the same or is it entirely a different thing?

Are we X-Mystique/X-Plosion owners missing on something since we don't have this option (Flexbass) on our driver?

Reason I asked is because one guy from a different thread asked if there is a bass management program floating somewhere since he's using a Z-680 as well paired with an X-Plosion. This has really piqued my interest. I want to know if having a bass management program could improve the sound more somewhat.

Thanks yo all.

16. alg7_munif

alg7_munif Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 X2
    Kriswood,
    Don't blame the teacher, some students can get an A and some will fail with the same teacher lol.

Rockonhard,
    The Flexbass is used to adjust the bass level and only useful if you can't adjust it at your speaker. The volume adjustment for the subwoofer in Xear3D usually doesn't work with the bass but the LFE setting works.

17. Tenkanisk

Tenkanisk Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon Sapphire X1900gt
    Natez: ALG7_munif did say his lines are all tangled together thus making more distortion. I can't consider his scores as the base line, but I do consider them still partially relevant.

18. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    The thing I mean about spec's beeing so usless is who's to say the card was measured correctly? or whose to say the card doesn't have noise introduced to it? what would happen if you had a card that had static becuase of IRQ issues etc? or these sensitive Soundcards are sitting right beside your high end GFX card then you measure it? what happens? bad results..this can happen to any card. so measurments aren't very useful. I am just making a point ALG -nothing more...What would you take 20 people saying the card sounds awsome or a page of numbers that may or may not be correct?
    the idea behind flexbass and bass redirection as a whole is just a crossover filter -it sets the point at which bass is taken out of the sat signals and sent to the sub but I think with PC type speaker sets you get limited returns...try it out...the frquency slider is the crossover point at which the card filters the bass to the sub -in theory.

19. KrisWood

KrisWood Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 3300
    Flexbass doesn't seem to do anything on my system, but my reciever automatically does the crossover for me so that may be why... (my sub has a crossover filter in it too for that matter) It doesn't seem like a big deal to me, not enough that I'd buy the newer model just for that. Sound quality is the biggest issue with this card, not the features. :)

20. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    I think it really depends on how your system is set up if Flexbass works or not. As it has little effect on my system but I can hear little changes. I odn't have my bass up very loud. As logitech subs are very loud on their own they don't need any help...You mean the sound quality is the main feature?
    on the side of the OPA, I was gonna try the 2134's but now I think I am gonna use something else.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.