It's only worth it once you arrive in Hell...

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by dope18, Nov 24, 2006.

1. dope18

dope18 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Geforce GTX 570
    I just finished Doom3 and I ‘m going out about half way on a limb here to say its probably one of the worst games I have ever played. Now I feel I say that fairly because I made myself finish the whole damn thing just to write a fair review. ( Now I have never played E.T for the old Atari 2600 so that could be worse than this)

Lets go into some details…there are actually 3 major points that make this game feel as if that GFX engine was used to cover up for the crappiness.

A) reason 1 for the game being stupid “ Item trigger Spawning”
    one of the lammmest things in the game has got to be, hey let me pick up that armor. Hey look I picked it up and now an enemy has Spawned!YAY for innovative thinking! Wow..ugh.

B) Reason 2 The Return of the King effect

Ok here’s a smart Idea. Lets put the COOLEST level (Hell)in the whole damn thing WWWAAYYYYY before the actual ending of the game because we as developers feel that after you have seen what SHOULD fall under the best for last category… our cocky selves feel the need to put you back in more crappy corridors. I never felt that the ending to Lord of the Rings Return of The king felt too lengthy but , After playing Doom3, I now know what that type of agony is. Shorrten the damn GAME!

C)Reason 3 My Best IS for Last
    Ah, and I come to the third and final and favorite Reason as to why Doom3 was terrible. That forsaken PDA SYSTEM. Oh dear lordy lord. Did I WANT to punch John Carmack for coming up with this one. Hey, nothing better than hitting TAB and having this thing thrown into your face just so I can read( YES READ.Back to this in a minute…) thru a bunch of lame info for some damn code so I can open a silly locker. OK last time I checked, Reading was left back in the day to old PC Adventure Games in the 80’s. And in doom 3 its not just some reading. No, there is TONS of it. By the time you come to the end of the game who knows how many of those little PDA info things you collected. Oh and lets not forget that there was also the stuff on computers you had to read for the “Story."Hey seriously I have nothing against reading but when you make a game Called DOOM3 and it involves a chainsaw, a weapon called BIG MOTHER!@!# GUN 9000 and Demons..well then I don’t think I need much more of a story than that.

Just had to get that off my chest…I mean c'mon we as consumers pay good money for this stuff and THIS is what we get? THIS is whats worth upgrading for???

2. FaM

FaM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2GB GTX 560
    sweet, im eagerly awaiting your wolfenstein 3d review!

3. Spectacle

Spectacle Banned

GPU:
    X1950XTX Crossfired 780/2280
    I disagree with your review (a bit on the late side wouldn't you say?), but everyone is entitled to an opinion. I thought that game was fantastic almost 3 years ago....

4. kitch9

kitch9 Guest

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB
    Uhmmmm......... K.......:bonk:

5. bobdude

bobdude Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6gb
    1 easy thing you can to to solve thoes probs is uninstall it :)

i grow tierd of ppl making post about games they put down they ack like someone makes them play it.........

Last edited: Nov 24, 2006
  6. pantsmachine

pantsmachine Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sparkle 260gtx
    I still enjoy it and the sounds are very creepy. Duct tape mod should never have came out. The game should have been better though, a lot of potential blown out.

7. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    QFT. I loved the game when it was released, and I never understood why people are so whiny about it. Don't tell me any of you expected this to be innovative? It never even tried to be. I just wish it would be a bit shorter, because it was quite long for an FPS, and it got repetitive in the end.

8. tuco

tuco Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 460's
    Iv'e wanted to buy that game for ages, you want to sell it to me? I bought Q4 and fear instead ages ago, but I love any fps tbh.

9. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I love Doom3. :D I think it could have been better, but for what was released, I thought it was pretty good. For Quake 4, it's hard to really call it a quake game...It's still a pretty good damn, but for some reason to me, I don't get that quake feeling from it...=| I still like it.

10. 1stGuyNut

1stGuyNut Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 9800GTX+ 512MB
    He could try the much better expansion pack Resurrection of Evil.
    Even though D3 is a damn fine game if you play it right, i.e in the dark with volume turned up.

11. Pitman

Pitman Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward GTX 260
    I know what you mean about the Hell level, Those corridors really started to get boring quite early on, only found myself waking up when there was a new gun or monster introduced. But in Hell the environment was intriguing and that boss was quite interesting as well.

The overall boredom didnt stop me from getting the expansion pack for some reason tho. I did like the Artifact's different abilities in ROE however.

12. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I didn't really like ROE very much...

13. Deadman93723

Deadman93723 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 260 OC2 MaxCore
    When Doom 3 and Doom 3 ROE came out, they were awesome, I played them for hours, but I didn't know any better. Yeah, they suck compared to FEAR, and Prey(which sucks a**), graphic wise, but it's Doom, most of us have been playing Doom of some sort for what?...12-13 years now? It is a mainstay of FPS, it really put the FPS on the map, other than Wolfenstein 3D.

14. RachaelH

RachaelH Master Guru

GPU:
    .. B
    It's not great I think the word average sums it up well rather than bad ^^

15. getsuga12

getsuga12 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX870M
    The game could've been better... If they only made enemy appearances random, as they were too predictable. (I could literally close my eyes, move the mouse to the left for 2 seconds, and *click*, i kill a zombie)

16. rsjrv99

rsjrv99 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 770 OC Windforce
    doom 3 was the ****. i even made a skin pack AND the worlds greatest tweak guide for it WHICH got featured in PC Gamer UK about a year ago

17. Jeremy

Jeremy Guest

GPU:
    -
    I thought it was quite nice with the PDA in it, but I didn't like how you had to listen to the guys for ages for one key code. The start was awsome, the middle was shocking and the end was cool. I am yet to try ROE yet.