South Park Mocks Irwin, Again

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by orenda635, Oct 31, 2006.

1. scipio

scipio Guest

GPU:
    Evga 1080 gaming
    Sue them for what? for making fun of a public figure? the only thing they're guilty of is poor taste.

2. r3claim3r

r3claim3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Agree with it or not, being offensive is what the creators of Southpark do. Historically, they have never been afraid to offend anyone and everyone. Remember the movie? They pulled out all the stops on that one. And just like gun4hire10 said, no one or thing is safe.

3. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 7600GS 256mb / Radeon 9550 32mb
    Lol, there's a little something in the US called the first ammendment. She can't sue them since they are not slandering Irwin in any way. Since South Park is a show for adults. It's rated at least TV-14 (usually TV-MA 18+), so there is no way her kids are going to see it either, unless she's a bad mom.
    People have to learn to grow up and stop having such thin skin. I'd be honored is Matt and Trey mocked me, as have many celebrities who have appeared on the show. (such as Jay Leno)

As for Issac Hayes. There is a bit of controversey as to why he left the show. He suffered a stroke shortly after the Tom Cruise episode was aired. While incapacitated, his publicist allegedly quit the show on his behalf. This person was also a scientologist. It is believed in some SP fan circles that Hayes did not quit the show willingly but was strong armed by the "church" to do so.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2006
  4. r3claim3r

r3claim3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    I will admit, though, that the Steve-Irwin-with-the-stingray-in-his-chest scene was especially insensitive. But it's not out of character with the general content of the show.

5. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    The only thing they won't make fun of is King of the Hill. Matt and Trey are good frends with Mike Judge.

Insensitive. You bet, but there's a lot worse things that South Park out there. You should see how O&A made fun of it.

6. Kross

Kross Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GeForce GTX 780 Ti
    Either everything is fair game, or nothing is. You can't pick and choose, because that is when it would be unfair.

Extremist Muslims, Political correctness, the irony of Irwin's death, and so on and so forth... these are convoluted times, they are just one of the very few brave enough to make light of them.

7. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    orenda635

Kids can easily watch SouthPark in australia as its at a time slot when kids under 15 are awake....or sometimes awake.And i dont portray over 15 as adults......over 20 and your an adult...

8. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Irwin's children are 8 and 2 respectively. South Park in Canada airs at 9:30, I assume it's around that time in Australia too. Simpsons airs at 8pm and Family Guy at 9pm. Both shows are similar. It's up to parents to control what's age appropriate for kids, not TV stations, TV producers, or governments.

9. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    Its upto the Director/Producer to think before making.....

10. Kross

Kross Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GeForce GTX 780 Ti
    You guys think Southpark is the only place in the world that was mocking Irwin's death?! Do you know that the Steve Irwin costume (Safari Khakis, with a fake sting-ray sticking out of the shirt) was the most popular costume by far this Halloween?

Trust me, his family will have to face such images everywhere, whether or not Southpark airs at 9 or 10pm in whichever part of the world.

It was an unfortunate event, but an ironic one, which will make it a perfect focal point for attention, whether humorous or otherwise.

11. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    Well i dont get That kind of humour.....Mabye i will in 1 years time, but not 1 month after it happened.

12. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    No it isn't.

Sure I was shocked about Irwin's death but South Park mocks everything. Get over it, it's what South Park does.

13. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    No, it's not. They're free to do what they wish. It's up to the viewer to determine what is acceptable and what isn't. Since we do live in a free market democracy after all. If you don't like it, don't watch it. Simple as that. Nobody is going to strap you to a chair with your eyes taped open, and force you to watch it again and again.
    If you don't like South Park, that's fine. I'm just tired of hearing PC people whine everytime this happens. I don't get how some guy people who probably didn't even know the guy could get offended so deeply from a cartoon parady of him.

And as Kross said, everybody is doing it because he died in such an ironic way. The costume is a hit.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2006
  14. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    ironic??? its a stingray...they kill...how is that ironic?

I never said i dont like southpark..i just think they went over the top with it.
    How would you feel if say your Wife Died in a certain way, then south park shows this...again...would that make you feel good??? Lets not think of the "celebrity" side of things, think of his wife, friends, family...i dont think they would believe it was funny.

meh nm......

15. grimsanta

grimsanta Master Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640MB @ 575/1750
    South park isn't only about toilet humor, it's almost all satire.

Then again, people used to say Jonathan swift was stupid.

16. Kross

Kross Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GeForce GTX 780 Ti
    It was ironic because he was a crocodile hunter. He has wrestled with every other dangerous animal from crocs to snakes and everything in between.

He was swimming in the ocean on a day they couldn't film much when an aquatic animal (which doesn't usually sting unless provoked, hell kids pet them at the zoo) stung him right through the chest. He would've survived had it not been in that precise spot in the chest.

I'm not saying it was humorous at all, but it is definitely ironic...

17. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
  18. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    hmm, if that is the truth it wouldn't surprise me one bit. Its hilarious how you put "church" in quotes like that lol, its so true though, as it is not in my eyes a true religion. I mean the whole thing was started and written by a science fiction novelist, L. Ron Hubbard!! I mean come on, what a bunch of goofballs.

19. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    The show is surprisingly intellegent. I used to hate South Park when it first came out, but began to get the satire as I got older. Now it's one of my favourite shows. If the show was so poor, why would people like Seth McFarlane try so hard to emulate it. (Look at the recent Family Guy episodes)
    The show itself is computer annimated using Maya and each episode takes under a week to produce. Due to this, it's one of the few scripted shows that stays fully up to date with what's happening in the world.

20. CleavesF

CleavesF Master Guru

GPU:
    Connect3d x800 GTO biosed 16 pipes
    I went as Steve Irwin for Halloween. I was smart enough to respect the guy and not have a barb sticking out of my chest. I was him resurrected!

Mad respects.