why must i cry, these tears from my eyes.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by stingfish, Oct 10, 2006.

1. stingfish

stingfish Member

GPU:
    EVGA GF 6800 128MB unlocked
    here are my specs

(754-pin) AMDT ATHLONT64 3200
    160GB 7200 RPM ATA HARD DRIVE
    (754-pin Socket) Abit KV8 PRO VIA K8T800 Chipset AGP8X
    2X 512 MB PC3200 400MHz DDR MEMORY Corsair XMS High Performance
    EVGA GEFORCE 6800 128MB DDR AGP8X

Now... i have been using the OmegaWinXP2kv16693 drivers for my nvidia for the last 2 years. when ever i try to upgrade to a new/newest nvidia driver, all my games are impacted w/ loss in fps and they appear choppy.

here are my questions:
    1. do these new drivers i.e. the latest nvidia drivers improve graphics? (i thought they did/would and that's why i want them)
    2. my computer is "good/great" for gaming, and that's all it's for, nothing else. i want to use the latest drivers if they improve graphics but is it just me or do others take a performace hit.

games i play: and flagged taking hits on the latest drivers
    operation flashpoint (performace hit)
    IL2 pacific fighters (performace hit)
    hidden and dangerous
    raven shield

any recommendations or tweaks are welcome. my nvidia card is not OC'd but it is unlocked to get the extra pipelines.

thanks for your time and help.

2. Fatso

Fatso Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus EN7900GS 256mb (PCIe)
    Hey,

I just wanted to let you know that new drivers don't always give you better graphics. Some will give you a boost in performence. But that's about it. So what i would do is revert to an older driver that worked well with your card and stick with it. Also take a peek at the release notes that come with the drivers. You won't really need to update then unless they specificly address a big in a specific game you play

3. Grendel_66

Grendel_66 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G
    Just give it a shot. You can always roll back..

4. stingfish

stingfish Member

GPU:
    awesome, thanks for the replys.

I will play around w. them, but will proly find the omegas work best.

5. Brendruis

Brendruis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Reference GTX 680 SLI
    Yes... there is a possibility of lowering performance in older games with newer drivers. Operation Flashpoint is a great game so that IS a shame. Have you followed the specific directions (sticky) for cleaning out drivers and re-installing?

How dramatic is performance decrease? Is it a few frames or HUGE loss? May be a software issue with Windows... How long has it been since you went from a fresh format?

6. Paul L

Paul L Guest

GPU:
    AMD 5700 8gb
    Might be worth getting some more ram to.... opps sorry I read it on your side panel as 512mb.. odd your system seems to be fairly okay. How up to date are your system drivers? such as the AGP etc?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2006
  7. stingfish

stingfish Member

GPU:
    Brendruis (Have you followed the specific directions (sticky) for cleaning out drivers and re-installing?) - i sure did. still hit w/ loss in FPS.

Brendruis (How dramatic is performance decrease? Is it a few frames or HUGE loss? May be a software issue with Windows... How long has it been since you went from a fresh format?) - it's pretty dramatic, using OFP as an example, all the same game settings used but w/ the latest driver, loss in FPS was average = 15, which in OFP is huge!

Paul L (How up to date are your system drivers? such as the AGP etc?) - thats a problem to me, i really don't know how to tell. last time I F disked, i installed the MB drivers that came w/ the computer. but i dont know how to update my bios or drivers. a scary problem to me is i dont even know which ones to use.

8. Sailindawg

Sailindawg Guest

GPU:
    Power Color LCS 7970
    I have found the best drivers for a 6800 series card are the 84.21 drivers. Excellent IQ, the driver recognizes user defined profiles. I have never used the 3rd party optimized drivers. I have always used either official and beta drivers. I enjoy playing around with the quality settings myself. I also use Riva Tuner to tweak settings as well.

9. Satan

Satan Guest

GPU:
    some
    If fps isn't a problem the DHzer0point 92.91's are incredible for IQ. If fps is your problem, then Z-Tweaked 91.47's for incredible framerates.