-=The Guru of 3D rig gallery=-

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by Grahxen, May 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IdentidY

IdentidY Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 7600GT
    thats cool, i can see the column of fans you got in the front..is it loud at all?

2. Dyn@Core

Dyn@Core Member

GPU:
    Sparkle Geforce 8800 Ultra
    Only when i go game and put the CPU fan at full speed, that thing produces some noise. When I go watch a movie or something its a matter of turning the button. The replacement fan I ordered will move 85CFM instead of the current 110CFM, so temps will rise slightly. But I can live with that.

3. Roger_D25

Roger_D25 Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980Ti
    Dyn@Core,
    I recenlty did just what your about to do, I replaced my YS Tech 120mm x 38mm (125CFM Rated) fans for 3x Sharkoon 120mm x 25mm fans which are rated for much lower are flow (36CFM) but are also silent, I literally can't hear them at all. My origianl YS Tech fans were extremely noisy at 12v, I mean obtrusivly noisy, but they also moved more air than my 26" box fan I use to cool my bedroom down (no joke)! Because of this I ran those fans at 5v which made them much more quite, in fact you couldn't really hear the fan noise but you could hear a very annoying humming from the motor itself which was loud. They of course also moved much less air but the funny thing was my temps barely increased, at the most my temps increased from 18-21C at idle to 20-24C at idle, at full-load (prime95 after 4-6hrs) my temps went from 30-32C to only 33-37C (room temp was fairly constant at 71F-73F).

So what I'm getting at here is that with certain radiators the fan speed doesn't play a huge role overall with system temps. Granted at high overclocks those extra 5C could play a major role but in general the lower sound levels more than made up for the extra noise.

My new Sharkoon fans (Sharkoon Silent Eagle 1000 120mm) move even less air than my YS Tech's did at 5v but my temps are approx the same as my YS Tech fans at 5v were, again the lower noise levels totally make up for the few degrees C I lost because of the fan switch. So I think the slower speeds of your new fans really won't lower your temps that much. Of course this was only my experience but I bet you'll see the same thing happen with your setup as well.

4. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 7600GS 256mb / Radeon 9550 32mb
    Are you on water? It's freezing in here and I'm only idling at 33c.

5. IdentidY

IdentidY Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 7600GT
    lol, i could do that to, but im on the other side of the room :( i may put my desk there when i move to my dads tho! its winter too, start the OVERCLOCKING COMPETITION!

6. 2161

2161 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 285 SSC
    I have a question about max voltage on a 3800+ X2. My motherboard goes up to 1.5volts. Would that be too much volatge or is it just the amount of heat it gernerates. I am not planning on going to water cooling until I upgrade to a better chip in the future. Here are my new OC specs since I have installed my new Thermalright SI-128.

CPU - 3800+ X2 (Manchester) Stock 2.0Ghz - OC at 2.673Ghz (Multi - X10) @ 1.472 Volts
    MB - Asus A8N SLI-Premium FSB 267
    Ram - Dual OCZ PC4000 Platimum Edition EB 1024 Modules 3.0-3-3-8 1T (No ram divider so ram runs 267/534Mhz)
    Graphics Cards - Dual BFG 6600GT OC @ 544Mhz/1.18Ghz
    CPU heatsink and fan - Thermalright SI-128 with Panasonic Panaflo HIBX 120mm fan
    PS - Antec Smartpower 2.0 500watts
    Computer case Full tower - Aspire APEVIA X-Pider Aluminum Case w/ Side Window-Blue with 4 80MM fans (Has good airflow)

CPU Temps with room temp 77*F - Idle 93*F Load 124*F

So is 1.5 volts too much or does it just depend on CPU temps I would like to see if I can get to 2.7Ghz but I am not sure about voltage.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2006
  7. Roger_D25

Roger_D25 Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980Ti
    1.5v is a very safe voltage to run you X2 at, of course that is as long as you monitor your temps and adjust accordingly. I've gone well over 1.6v on a 3800 X2 but my system was watercooled and the full-load CPU temps never went above 33c-37c. On air your likely to run a bit warmer than that though so I'd be a bit more conservative on the max voltage, but somewhere around 1.55v-1.6v should be fine on air, again as long as you monitor temps and adjust accordingly. Keep us posted on your progress

8. IdentidY

IdentidY Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 7600GT
    whats the advantage of raising voltage? cause id like to raise mine...but if theres no point that ill pass

9. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 7600GS 256mb / Radeon 9550 32mb
    Higher voltage, more energy to the CPU, it's able to sustain higher clocks. However, overvolting will shorten the chip's life and you run an increased risk of toasting it. I wouldn't do it unless you hit the OC wall on standard volts.

10. IdentidY

IdentidY Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 7600GT
    maybe thats why i cant go higher than 3.2 (when i could) but i always thought it was my psu

11. InfDaMarvel

InfDaMarvel Guest

GPU:
    HD3850 256mb
    Man nice cooler master stacker case. But I know that thing must be a pain to keep dust off the front. My Cooler Master Centrioun needs to be cleaned constantly and I dont have as many fans as you taking in air for sure.

12. Satan

Satan Guest

GPU:
    some
    Nope orenda, I'm on l33t air. Here's a pic of my PC's current status (repost, but it's for a reason)
    [​IMG]

Any comments? It's cold as feck there :)

-Satan

13. heads_up

heads_up Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5770 1GB
    How safe is it to run your PC open like that? Cos I want to buy im scaried my cats gonna jump on my desk and touch it.... hes never jumped on my desk before but all those fancy colours and stuff might make him temped.

14. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Guest

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000
    Have the same problem. My cat might jump there and the next thing i know is that i have a fried comp and a cat :p

15. heads_up

heads_up Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5770 1GB
    Tbh, i would miss the computer more than the cat...

Im so heartless...

16. IdentidY

IdentidY Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 7600GT
    yes u are, cause i happen to be a cat lover :( and i took off my side fan grill and my cat put its hand up in there and hurt herself :( i got sad

17. heads_up

heads_up Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5770 1GB
    Yeah, my cat use to jump on my desk with my old computer, and the first day i took off the side fan grill, he got sucked in and got stuck, IT WAS HILERIOUS!!!!!!!!!!! but sad

18. IndianScout

IndianScout Banned

GPU:
    GTX580 SLI
    ugly and dirty, but it runs good :)

[​IMG]

19. heads_up

heads_up Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5770 1GB
    Is that an old picture cos ur specs say its a completely different system

20. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    LordOfDoom.....must say that you don't see entirely too many rigs built on a High Speed PC chassis. and i like your cooling options too..... 120mm fan to cool the crap...... and a desk fan blowing the air out the back window for good measure. lol.

Dyn@core...... that's a sh*tload of blue dude......... wow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.