Children of Men

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Joey, Sep 26, 2006.

1. Joey

Joey Guest

GPU:
    2600XT + Panasonic S10
    Saw this film last night and I have to say it's the best film I've seen this year.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0206634/

Trailer

http://www.apple.com/trailers/universal/childrenofmen/hd/

The Plot

Based on a Novel by P.D. James.

.... From IMDB.

"Set in 2027, when no child has been born for 18 years and science is at loss to explain the reason, African and East European societies collapse and their dwindling populations migrate to England and other wealthy nations. In a climate of nationalistic violence, a London peace activist turned bureaucrat Theo Faron, joins forces with his revolutionary ex-wife Julian in order to save mankind by protecting a woman who has mysteriously became pregnant.
    "

First things first, the trailer doesn't do it justice.
    This is a chase/on the run movie, it's an action movie, it's a war movie.
    The special effects are really good, seamless and believable.
    The trailer would lead you to think this was a bit sappy and preachy (mainly from the poor music choice in the second half), it's not at all.
    If this was made by Spielberg it would be all over a big summer release and it would make 10 times what it will do now. It reminded me a lot of Saving Private Ryan. Take the action elements of that and add them to a war version (as opposed to horror) of "28 days later". Then add in a good script.
    The way the year 2027 is portray is also something this film has done just right. Nothings too crazy and it has a familiar feel. Despite the dystopia, it looks the same. By that I mean, it's not all colour corrected, washed out or dark, as is the way with every other film I have seen which is set in the future. There isn't any of that clinical-ness to everything. People still have junk lying around and use box-files.
    Also of note is that CuarĂ³n does some really long takes and lets the actors sit in situations for a good length of time. There is one scene where they are attacked in car. The Camera moves around, in and out, all over the car through a pretty tense chase. There is obviously a lot of CG going on. But I couldn't see where it was, or at least it didn't jump out at me. It's a pretty dam cool sequence.

The Apple website says this is out on or around Christmas Day in the states, 25 January in Australia and from now till the end of the year everywhere else. It may look bleak but the end is most defiantly uplifting and positive. You will love this movie, so I am begging you to see it. There was a trailer and posters plastered about the walls for a Kevin Costner/ Aston Kutcher **** fest "The Guardian" before this film. It really made me wonder why the hell Hollywood ploughs cash into such crap when they should be backing and making films like Children of Men. They used to, but now it's all about the crap, high concept, Aston Kutcher mo-biles. Ah well.

British people, it's worth your Orange Wednesday tickets to see this. Hell, the new Orange Wednesday advert featuring Steven "Seagull" is worth it alone..... sort of.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2006
  2. MrFox

MrFox Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 580GTX SOC x2
    Will do ;) sounds awesome.

3. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Looks interesting, but it does strike me with a bith of scepticism. I won't comment until I've actually seen it. Thanks for the heads-up though.

4. heads_up

heads_up Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5770 1GB
    Far out taht looks good.

5. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4090
    Saw it on Saturday, good film, well worth seeing... wouldnt say it was absoultely amazing, but certainly nearly there.

6. From the trailer i gather this is one of 'dem hippie movies. [​IMG] I'll still watch it.

7. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 7600GS 256mb / Radeon 9550 32mb
    Looks interesting. I don't know why the world would go to pot over that though. Maybe I'm too optimistic.

There's a sweet easter egg in the trailer. When he's talking to the hippy guy, he mentions pollution. A scene cuts to the famous Battersea Power Station in London.
    [​IMG]

Look what's floating above it. The Pink Floyd Pig! :D
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pink_Floyd_pig

8. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    HMM, that's some interesting info about that pig, Orenda thx for the link..learn something new everyday!

9. Joey

Joey Guest

GPU:
    2600XT + Panasonic S10
    Yeah the pig. I forgot about that, it was a nice touch.
    FYI, it's a big pig.

10. JACK4HIRE

JACK4HIRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Mobility Radeon 5870
    I saw the trailer when I went to see 'Lady in the Water' and it looked like a movie to see.

11. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 7600GS 256mb / Radeon 9550 32mb
    It's so funny because that the scene is setup to be so serious, a bleak polluted world, and then there's the pig floating there. :)

The pig supposedly represents the capitalist pig watching over industry, but it's just so hilariously sureal to be taken seriously.

12. heads_up

heads_up Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5770 1GB
    rofl there is too

[​IMG]

13. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Guest

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000
    The movie looks quite interesting. Might go watch it when i am free.