X1900GT bad performance in BF2...or?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Enozekun, Sep 16, 2006.

1. Enozekun

Enozekun Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 8800GT
    I've been playing alot of different games now that i have my new system up and running, but i'm having some major problems with BF2. I spunked up the settings to maximum but it was lagging quite a bit, no worries, i though. I'll turn down the settings a few notches and it'll be fine. I only have 1GB of RAM anyway.
    This didn't help though, the game is still kinda laggy, or well, not really "laggy". More like choppy or twitchy, i have very high FPS but it twitches when i move. Not sure how to say this in english but if there's someone swedish out there you will know what i mean: Musen släpar efter när jag svänger helt enkelt.

So, i did some major lowering on the graphic settings and i got pretty shocked, i lowered the settings to medium (gasp!) and it was still kinda laggy! This must be something else that's wrong right?

All my other games workes fine. I can play Oblivion at maximum, fear at high and other games that aren't brand new at ultrahigh etc, really annoying because i have a clanmatch tomorrow in BF2 T_T

//Enozekun

2. rofflesyo

rofflesyo Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire X800XT VIVO
    Battlefield 2, along with most other new games require more than 1GB of ram, hence why you are twitching, investing in another GB will probably solve the problem :)

3. ARMYguy

ARMYguy Guest

GPU:
    Titan V
    Yeah BF2 uses something like 1 and 1/2 gigs of ram when its at it's peak usage, so having 2 gigs of ram is the sweet spot for that game and some other hogs as well. The problem is only made worse on 32 and even more so 64 player servers.

4. Tokintegra

Tokintegra Master Guru

GPU:
    3x BFG 8800GTX OC2 on h20
    yes. bf2 is one of a few games that actually require 2 gigs of decent ram to run really well.

5. HaZe303

HaZe303 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Yes 2gb´s are nice to have. Also install ATI Tray Tools if you havent already, and check the setting "Flip Queue Size"... try chaning it to 2 or 1 or 0 and see which is best. This can help some mouse lag issues. Mouse lag is the name you mentioned in swedish. Hoppas det här hjälper dig något.. :)

Ps. remember always defrag you game disk!! And check youre ram-timings as this game is very memory dependant so youre memory should be working at 100%, i would also recommend not to overclock playing BF2!:)

Last edited: Sep 17, 2006
  6. Unity

Unity Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire X1950XT
    I have a 1900GT and the mediocre specs posted to my left, BF2 hovers between 60-100fps with max in game details, and high quality driver settings.

.....and I only have a gig of ram.

[​IMG]

7. Enozekun

Enozekun Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 8800GT
    Believe it or not, i removed my soundcard and the lag dissapeared :bonk:

Still can't play it on highest settings though as Unity can, need to twitch down some of the minor settings and it's not completely lag-free either =/

8. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    Yeah audigy 1 doesnt have a hardware decoder?? so its probably using more cpu than the Asus Onboard

9. Enozekun

Enozekun Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 8800GT
    I see, well thanks for the help.

I suppose i'll grab another gigabyte of RAM as soon as i can afford it.

//Enozekun

*EDIT* Btw, when i buy more RAM, can i buy a one-gigabyte stick and use that? I'm using 2x 512 sticks atm (Have 4 slots in total )

Umm.. also, i checked up my RAM timings, i know nothing about them but they are 3-3-3-8

10. roehunter1

roehunter1 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800GTS 512
    I have tested BF2 on my system and with all settings at medium and 4X AA it uses around 675MB of ram. It's a little twitchy for the first minute , then smooths out and runs really well.

11. ARMYguy

ARMYguy Guest

GPU:
    Titan V
    You guys must have some special light version of bf2 or something. My bf 2 at peak useage uses around 1656 mb of ram, and for kicks i had a friend test it on his box and it was the same. Odd.

12. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    mines uses at the most 1.7 gigs

13. HaZe303

HaZe303 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Thats because BF2 uses more memory when you have it. Otherwise it uses the pagefile to page the memory needed. So thats why many have stuttering problems in the beginning of the game, because the game is writing all the necessary memory to the page file.. And it takes a while..

14. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    the max this game will ever use is 1.8 i think..even if u have 4 gigs

15. Enozekun

Enozekun Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 8800GT
    Thanks for the answers guys

I have gotten used to the stuttering, playing with 1280x1024 and high on the most important settings. Stuttery at the beginning but gets stable after a while as you said, anyhoo my friend is buying a new computer soon and i'll buy his old RAM ( He has 1.5Gig if i want ) so that'll make the game nice and smooth :D

16. chevro1et

chevro1et Master Guru

GPU:
    Intel GMA950 integrated
    Some good tweak guides for BF2 HERE and HERE

17. doodleplop

doodleplop Member

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce FX 5600 XT 256mb
    im sorry if this is a bit off topic, but which is better, the x1800xt or the x1900gt?

thanks

dp

18. chevro1et

chevro1et Master Guru

GPU:
    Intel GMA950 integrated
    Debatable. Use the forum search function, results HERE, or start your own thread next time.

19. SlackAdjuster

SlackAdjuster Member

GPU:
    HD 7870
    Make sure you don't have texture size set to the max because with a gig o ram it will run like crap. Try your setting on medium & turn shadows off & I bet it will run alot better. The texture size is the key.

SlackAdjuster